Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Getting older

silver & black

I have a question that I don't think needed its own thread.

I just turned 50 in January, so I'm in that middle ground where I don't feel as old as I really am, but I'm beginning to realize that I'm not 30 anymore, either. I played Saturday and in the middle of the back 9, I realized my elbows were getting sore. Not so sore that it changed the way I was playing, but enough that it was noticeable.

So, have any of you guys encountered this? I play Ping i20's with stiff steel shafts in them, and I'm wondering if it's time to make a switch to a different shaft. I've tried a couple of graphite shafts in the past, but they felt so floppy, I couldn't hit them and didn't think I'd be able to get used to them. Would a regular steel shaft help this? Has anyone made a switch because of wear and tear on the body?

I'm just pondering the idea of making a change, and wondering if I need to.

Two suggestions -

You could go to a lighter steel that has shock absorbing qualities like sensicore. That was my first move - I went to something like a dynamic gold S100 with Sensicore in my Adams Muscle back irons. Those were sweet and I played well with them.

Then it was a heavier graphite in my mid 50's, lighter graphite S flex same irons (Nicklaus iron max) in my late 50's. Currently it's very light graphite R flex in G30's and I seem to be having very few aches pop up.

This is where a tool like the Mizuno shaft optimizer falls short IMO. Its measuring swings when a golfer is fresh - he's not always going to be fresh in a round unless he's physically fit.

Aerotech has some very nice graphite/steel options but it is expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived