Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Finding Your "True Swing"

Fellow Golfers,

From the time I was 12 years old (fifty years ago!) I've taken countless lessons from as many different pros.  I started in the days of the Jack Nicklaus/Johnny Miller type swing and, most recently, took six months worth of lessons at a local Golftec.

As Gary Player once said, I'm suffering from the "paralysis of analysis."  Uggh.

Along the way, I did happen to take one lesson from a PGA pro (who I believe passed on a short time ago) named Bobby Lee.  His approach was a very loose, soft arms, light grip type of swing.  Using that swing is the only time I ever was able to break 80.

Sadly, there never was a follow-up lesson and my impatience on the course prompted me to look for other solutions to my bad shots.  But, I never forgot about that swing!  Deep down, I knew that that was the one that I should be using and have always wanted to return to those basic fundamentals.

I've looked for books that have taught that approach over the years-- I've accumulated quite a library.  But it was only recently that I stumbled across Manuel de la Torre's book, which then led me to discover Erika Larkin's 'recent' book entitled, "A True Swing."  AND IT'S THAT SAME TECHNIQUE THAT I WAS TAUGHT YEARS AGO!!!

I'm cautiously optimistic to get back on the range and give it a try.

So, have any of you had any success with this style of swing???  Let me know!  Or tell me if you've read her book.  I've posted a link to her site below.

Thanks!

Calypso

http://www.erikalarkin.com

I've been a Lutheran pastor for almost 40 years.

It sounds like we have been on a similar path.  For years I was sore when I finished a round of golf.  I knew I couldn't keep doing the same thing with my swing if I wanted to keep playing into my 60s (a mile stone I hit this spring.)  I was also tired of the typical position oriented lesson, so I set out to find my own swing. I stumbled on Shawn Clement's teachings, which worked (and continues to work) very well for me.  The "old school" way of teaching and learning the swing let me get rid of mechanical thoughts and freed me up to play golf instead of golf swing.  The whole experience has been very liberating.

I became interested in teaching/learning methods, so I started reading older, classic instruction books and contemporary books that use methods similar to the old masters.  This search lead me to the book you reference in the OP.  If you go to pages 111-112 of the book, there is a list of earliest published books on golf instruction.  There is a wealth of knowledge in these books, and upon reading you'll see how Erika updated the teaching for contemporary times.  Jones, "Swinging into Golf" and Boomer "On Learning Golf" are two of the best books every written on learning your own, true swing.  

Erika's book is quite good,  I read it after reading most of the other books and doing Shawn Clement's drills.  I didn't go through her full approach because I had already done most of it.  The books and videos all over lap because of the similar philosophies.  If you want videos that are complementary to Erika's teachings in the book, PM me and I'll forward an e-mail I put together for my son which organizes Clement's videos into a coherent method/approach.  HIs Youtube site is quite good, but it has so many  videos and they aren't organized into a coherent plan for learning due to the fact they were uploaded over many years.  

BTW, I do her "drop the arms" drill as part of my warm up before each round or practice session.   

Archived