When I'm addressing the ball with the driver I'm a bit like the first option but closer to the 2nd option when using irons etc. I've never really given it much thought until the question was asked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I nestle the club up to ball, always have.

I've never really given it much thought, but I'm closer to the bottom picture than the top.

I am like the bottom picture. But I don’t deloft and close the face that much.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, yungkory said:

Yeah, but what's the reasoning behind letting me accidentally slap my ball 50 yards right (if he hadn't hit the tee marker) but I can't even accidentally touch the ball with the iron in the fairway? It's one of those 🤔 moments where I'm just not sure common sense was taken into consideration.

Anyways, this has derailed the original topic sorry!

You;'re right, this is kind of off topic, so I'll put it here:

Spoiler

The rules have to define when a ball is in play, and they've chosen the time when you make an intentional stroke to put it into play from the teeing area.  Until that time, accidentally knocking it off the tee with your club is no different that dropping it out of your pocket, the ball isn't in play.  Once its in play, don't move it.

Historically, you touched your ball to tee it up, and you touched it again to pull it out of the hole.  You only marked and lifted your ball if it interfered with another player's stroke.  You weren't allowed to mark and lift your ball on the green until pretty recently, you had to play it as it lies, everywhere.  And if you moved it, even accidentally, you were penalized.  Over the last 50 years or so, the rules have loosened a lot, to allow you to touch your ball a lot more, and even to allow accidental movement in a lot of situations.  But if your ball is in play, and you know where it is, and its NOT on the green, don't touch it, don't move it.

I would say it's dependent on if I'm in the rough or on the fairway on how I address the ball.  If I'm in the fairway, I'm a little closer to the ball and if In the rough a little farther away.  I don't want to bump or move the ball.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

This is too much to worry about. Just hit it.

This can be applied to every single part of the game. 🤣

• Like 2

This is a great question I have been struggling upon, the distance between ball and iron blade.

I prefer the top picture, leaving some distances because of natural body swift when doing full swing. 

Moe Norman put even more distances for both Drive and iron shot as seen in GolfSpy Stroker's post. 

I actually wrote the blog regarding this issue in my recent golf blog in golfstruggle.com, and I am glad to find the golfer who has the same kind of mind set or concern.   I will play and practice with some distance.  It works!

Thanks. 

What I love about this site is you never know where you might stumble upon a piece of information that is just gold. I read this piece the other day and it got me thinking, am I properly setting up with the driver for my swing?

I've struggled the past couple of months with a downward AOA that has resulted in a lot of very high launching drives and more than a few pop ups. I've tried lower tees, ball position, shoulder angles, etc... to no better results.

When the photo of Moe Norman addressing driver was put in this post, it made me question my habit of placing my driver next to my ball like I did with irons. My next trip to the driving range I started moving my driver back to about four inches behind the ball and immediately there was a difference in contact and ball flight. I was closer to the center of the face and had a more piercing flight. My last round saw the best day with driver I've seen in a long time.

Thanks everyone for your input, you guys are great!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

On 5/1/2019 at 6:13 PM, sirchunksalot said:

What I love about this site is you never know where you might stumble upon a piece of information that is just gold. I read this piece the other day and it got me thinking, am I properly setting up with the driver for my swing?

I've struggled the past couple of months with a downward AOA that has resulted in a lot of very high launching drives and more than a few pop ups. I've tried lower tees, ball position, shoulder angles, etc... to no better results.

When the photo of Moe Norman addressing driver was put in this post, it made me question my habit of placing my driver next to my ball like I did with irons. My next trip to the driving range I started moving my driver back to about four inches behind the ball and immediately there was a difference in contact and ball flight. I was closer to the center of the face and had a more piercing flight. My last round saw the best day with driver I've seen in a long time.

The More Norman photo also has me ready to try a different setup. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bleepe1409 said:

The More Norman photo also has me ready to try a different setup. 

Had a dogleg right the other day.  Tall deciduous trees down the right side and the point where the fairway turned right was about 230 or so.... I could have "played it safe" and hit a 3h/3w to there and had 150 into the green 

OR

I could do what Moe does... and fly it over the trees and cut the corner.

....I had 110 into the green.  🙂  Thanks Moe.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2019 at 4:13 PM, sirchunksalot said:

I did Moe's swing for 10 years.  I would say to be careful with the setup unless you are planning to use the single plane swing.  The ball is positioned in standard impact position, but from Moe's setup position, he gets to impact by shifting weight forward into a flexed lead knee.  Using this setup with the standard 2-plane swing can cause compensations in your swing that could lead to other issues.  I'm happy that it's working for you, but I suggest a swing review by a pro.

• Like 2