Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Addressing the ball with irons

This is a great question I have been struggling upon, the distance between ball and iron blade.

I prefer the top picture, leaving some distances because of natural body swift when doing full swing. 

Moe Norman put even more distances for both Drive and iron shot as seen in GolfSpy Stroker's post. 

I actually wrote the blog regarding this issue in my recent golf blog in golfstruggle.com, and I am glad to find the golfer who has the same kind of mind set or concern.   I will play and practice with some distance.  It works!

Thanks. 

Be Simple and Consistent.  Keep Basics.  Be more forgiving.  Be in Total Control.

Sincerely,

danielS

What I love about this site is you never know where you might stumble upon a piece of information that is just gold. I read this piece the other day and it got me thinking, am I properly setting up with the driver for my swing?

I've struggled the past couple of months with a downward AOA that has resulted in a lot of very high launching drives and more than a few pop ups. I've tried lower tees, ball position, shoulder angles, etc... to no better results.

When the photo of Moe Norman addressing driver was put in this post, it made me question my habit of placing my driver next to my ball like I did with irons. My next trip to the driving range I started moving my driver back to about four inches behind the ball and immediately there was a difference in contact and ball flight. I was closer to the center of the face and had a more piercing flight. My last round saw the best day with driver I've seen in a long time.

Thanks everyone for your input, you guys are great!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2019 at 6:13 PM, sirchunksalot said:

What I love about this site is you never know where you might stumble upon a piece of information that is just gold. I read this piece the other day and it got me thinking, am I properly setting up with the driver for my swing?

I've struggled the past couple of months with a downward AOA that has resulted in a lot of very high launching drives and more than a few pop ups. I've tried lower tees, ball position, shoulder angles, etc... to no better results.

When the photo of Moe Norman addressing driver was put in this post, it made me question my habit of placing my driver next to my ball like I did with irons. My next trip to the driving range I started moving my driver back to about four inches behind the ball and immediately there was a difference in contact and ball flight. I was closer to the center of the face and had a more piercing flight. My last round saw the best day with driver I've seen in a long time.

The More Norman photo also has me ready to try a different setup. 

5 minutes ago, bleepe1409 said:

The More Norman photo also has me ready to try a different setup. 

Had a dogleg right the other day.  Tall deciduous trees down the right side and the point where the fairway turned right was about 230 or so.... I could have "played it safe" and hit a 3h/3w to there and had 150 into the green 

OR

I could do what Moe does... and fly it over the trees and cut the corner.

....I had 110 into the green.  🙂  Thanks Moe.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

On 5/1/2019 at 4:13 PM, sirchunksalot said:

I did Moe's swing for 10 years.  I would say to be careful with the setup unless you are planning to use the single plane swing.  The ball is positioned in standard impact position, but from Moe's setup position, he gets to impact by shifting weight forward into a flexed lead knee.  Using this setup with the standard 2-plane swing can cause compensations in your swing that could lead to other issues.  I'm happy that it's working for you, but I suggest a swing review by a pro.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”