Rejecting the modern game

ZenGolfer

So, recently I picking up an old A.G. Spalding putter at an antique store. I actually though it was a hickory at first but when I got it home I noticed that it had a pyratone shaft (steel with a chemical coating to make it look like wood).
I thought that putter was kind of cool, so I decided to pick up a set of Spalding Autograph pyratone shafted irons. I liked those, so I decided to pick up a couple persimmon woods to finish it off and have a vintage bag.
Ive been playing those clubs off and on this year and Ive come to realize that I really enjoy them. I find that I hit the ball a lot straighter, a bit higher and am hitting more greens. I dont quite hit the ball as far but its not bad.
With the persimmon woods, I thought that they would be much more difficult to hit but Ive been playing them for a while now and I dont find them any more difficult to hit and I hit the ball much straighter, with maybe only 10 yards less of distance. I hit my modern driver about 230 yards, I hit my old Wilson persimmon about 220 yards. I honestly cant remember the last time that I lost a ball.
This experience has made me realize that distance isnt everything and that accuracy and feel are much more important. Its also made me question if all this new tech that is in modern clubs really is making us play better. For me, it doesnt make me play better and in some ways makes me play worse because Im not accurate with modern clubs.
Not to mention that playing with 80+ year old clubs is just fun and the looks and questions that I get about them are interesting, to say the least.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I grew up playing blades and persimmon woods. I still have several set of the woods and a couple of sets of irons. I get out and play with them a few times a year and you're right, other than a little distance loss, they great playing clubs. Welcome to the past!!

BT

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app