Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

SKLZ Gold Flex Swing Trainer - Warm-up stick 48"

Guest Delete

• Guests
Guest Delete

I bought a SKLZ Gold Flex Swing Trainer 48" a year and a half ago for $33.58 on Amazon. It is selling now for $72. 

I bought it after trying my buddies Orange Whip at the range. My thought is that it would (1) allow me to warm-up easily and (2) help with the follow through. 

My first impressions:

• The "head" feels heavier than the Orange whip because it doesn't have the counterbalance on the end of the grip (the only difference I could come up with from the orange whip)
  • I could feel if I rush my release, aka casting, in the flex of the shaft
  • It forces me to slow down my tempo
  • The heavy weight helps keep momentum through impact for a full follow through

I tried using it every practice session for a few weeks but, I ended up only using it from time to time and found it actually hurt my game more than helped because the heaviness of the club feels so different that it made all my actual clubs feel feather-lite. It seemed to really alter my swing tempo that I ended up not having a good round if I spent too much time with the SKLZ Swing Trainer. 

I can see a benefit to golfers who:

• Need help finishing rotation
  • Slowing down their tempo
  • Balance
  • Changing the release point

But, that is if the golfer really is just focusing on very specific things where the flexing shaft with a heavy weight help the golfer feel the swing as more fluid and smooth. 

I would not personally buy this again, nor an Orange Whip. I'm glad I only paid $33.58. I would never buy it at $72. Some people on eBay are selling them for $30-40. 

It might be helpful for a new golfer, a stiff golfer, but not a skilled golfer. 

Edited by Delete
Spelling

I bought a SKLZ Gold Flex Swing Trainer 48" a year and a half ago for $33.58 on Amazon. It is selling now for $72. 
I bought it after trying my buddies Orange Whip at the range. My thought is that it would (1) allow me to warm-up easily and (2) help with the follow through. 
 My first impressions:
  • The "head" feels heavier than the Orange whip because it doesn't have the counterbalance on the end of the grip (the only difference I could come up with from the orange whip)
I tried using it every practice session for a few weeks but, I ended up only using it from time to time and found it actually hurt my game more than helped because the heaviness of the club feels so different that it made all my actual clubs feel feather-lite. It seemed to really alter my swing tempo that I ended up not having a good round if I spent too much time with the SKLZ Swing Trainer. 
  • Balance
But, that is if the golfer really is just focusing on very specific things where the flexing shaft with a heavy weight help the golfer feel the swing as more fluid and smooth. 
I would not personally buy this again, nor an Orange Whip. I'm glad I only paid $33.58. I would never buy it at $72. Some people on eBay are selling them for $30-40. 

I’ve used mine for over five years to help me stretch, and warm-up before I play. I’m not really concentrating on using it for swing mechanics, to set a tempo, or anything other than to help get the muscles going before a round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

37 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I’ve used mine for over five years to help me stretch, and warm-up before I play. I’m not really concentrating on using it for swing mechanics, to set a tempo, or anything other than to help get the muscles going before a round.

I've been using mine for several years for exactly the same thing.  I use it before any full swings on the range.  If I don't have time to adequately warmup before a round, I make 10 swings right handed and 10 left handed just to stretch out.  

One thing I like about it is that I can easily feel what I should be doing at transition.  The weight at the top of the backswing doesn't allow it to start down before I shift into my left side.  I need that feeling before hitting driver.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Guests
Guest Delete
5 hours ago, TimoTe said:

My first impressions:

• Balance

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I've been using mine for several years for exactly the same thing.  I use it before any full swings on the range.  If I don't have time to adequately warmup before a round, I make 10 swings right handed and 10 left handed just to stretch out.  

One thing I like about it is that I can easily feel what I should be doing at transition.  The weight at the top of the backswing doesn't allow it to start down before I shift into my left side.  I need that feeling before hitting driver.

I just as easily warm-up my muscles with my heaviest club - my sand wedge. 

Glad to hear that you get more use out of it than I do. 

31 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

I just as easily warm-up my muscles with my heaviest club - my sand wedge. 

Glad to hear that you get more use out of it than I do. 

I've regripped it with the same grip as on my clubs.  It was getting smooth and didn't want to injure anyone.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Guests
Guest Delete
28 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I've regripped it with the same grip as on my clubs.  It was getting smooth and didn't want to injure anyone.

I have thought about regripping as well only because I play mid instead of std. But, I really don't use it anymore. 

I like mine for stretching as others have said, I think it also helps grip strength due to the weight if you go through the Orange Whip training protocol. I like the pause to load at the top, help ensure a good wrist hinge. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX 9* Driver

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:touredgeexotics: CBX 119 16* 2 hyb

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Tuttle / :edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

• Guests
Guest Delete
3 hours ago, BMart519 said:

I like mine for stretching as others have said, I think it also helps grip strength due to the weight if you go through the Orange Whip training protocol. I like the pause to load at the top, help ensure a good wrist hinge. 

I'm gonna have to try the pause and load again. A few people mentioned it. I remember doing that automatically because of the flex. 

I'm gonna have to try the pause and load again. A few people mentioned it. I remember doing that automatically because of the flex. 

I must have missed that in the videos - I'll have to review it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My wife bought me one for Christmas and I use it as a part of my warm up before the driving range or playing a round.

I had been given a drill by my coach about pausing at the top with my regular clubs and trying to feel the start of the downswing generated from my core instead of my arms. That pause at the top with the extra weight of the Golf Flex really forces me to feel how I'm starting my downswing.

I also use it to swing all out 5 times before a round to make sure all of my muscles are primed and ready to go.

It's a great tool, but like all tools, it needs to be used to fully realize the benefits.

Oh, and good call @Kenny B on regripping. I'll have to do that for the safety of myself and others. The stock grip is pretty slick.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

4 minutes ago, palvord said:

My wife bought me one for Christmas and I use it as a part of my warm up before the driving range or playing a round.

I had been given a drill by my coach about pausing at the top with my regular clubs and trying to feel the start of the downswing generated from my core instead of my arms. That pause at the top with the extra weight of the Golf Flex really forces me to feel how I'm starting my downswing.

I also use it to swing all out 5 times before a round to make sure all of my muscles are primed and ready to go.

It's a great tool, but like all tools, it needs to be used to fully realize the benefits.

Oh, and good call @Kenny B on regripping. I'll have to do that for the safety of myself and others. The stock grip is pretty slick.

I know some members posted that they use both - SKLZ along with the Orange Whip. So far I've stuck with the OW. One feature I like is that it has a 'ball' at the grip end of the whip. That creates a stop so you can grip it lightly as you would a regular club. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

5 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I know some members posted that they use both - SKLZ along with the Orange Whip. So far I've stuck with the OW. One feature I like is that it has a 'ball' at the grip end of the whip. That creates a stop so you can grip it lightly as you would a regular club. 

Never had the chance to play around with an OW, but that feature does sound like a smart thing to have.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

1 hour ago, palvord said:

You will find when you remove the old grip that it's not a normal shaft.  I ended up trimming the end and using a bunch of buildup tape, but at least it''s easier to hold on to, and it feels more like my normal grips.