Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Powder Coated Putters

• 1 year later...
17 minutes ago, Ike1221 said:

Hello is it possible to remove the shaft from a putter that has been powder coated without ruining the powder coat? Thanks

Should be,  depends on the amount of heat that will damage the powder coating and it that temperature up is lower than the temp that will break the epoxy bond.  I’d suggest heat gun and a shaft puller to minimize potential issues.   

powder coating has different breakdown temps per this article:  https://www.crestcoating.com/cci-blog/is-powder-coating-heat-resistant/

epoxy can breakdown in the heat of your trunk.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Why oh why do so many putters look so nice?    . . .  and don't work!!!

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I have used a system called CeraKote....it is primarily used on weapons...guns etc....comes in any number of colors and doesn't build up on the surface like Powder Coating ( More like the 3x black )...the tolerances on guns are very small so this is not a paint...had a Cameron putter with an insert done for a friend and except having to refill the white border with silicone did no damage to the insert...seems to be fairly durable as well...you can find about CeraKote on Google

Just got one of my putters back from Embrace Putters and did a PVD coating. I love this because of how the look of the finish but more that it's not a coating, won't affect milling, weight, and has really great durability. 

embrace-putter-everardo-bettinardi-220119074213-Edit.jpg

20 hours ago, cnosil said:

Should be,  depends on the amount of heat that will damage the powder coating and it that temperature up is lower than the temp that will break the epoxy bond.  I’d suggest heat gun and a shaft puller to minimize potential issues.   

powder coating has different breakdown temps per this article:  https://www.crestcoating.com/cci-blog/is-powder-coating-heat-resistant/

epoxy can breakdown in the heat of your trunk.  

I saw a video, may have been McGolf, where they just heated the hosel close to the head and eventually the heat transferred down the shaft and the head came off without damaging the coating.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

37 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

I saw a video, may have been McGolf, where they just heated the hosel close to the head and eventually the heat transferred down the shaft and the head came off without damaging the coating.

You are thinking the shaft is powder coated?   I was thinking head was powder coated.   I was assuming  the poster is trying to avoid using a torch on a powder coated head.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

You are thinking the shaft is powder coated?   I was thinking head was powder coated.   I was assuming  the poster is trying to avoid using a torch on a powder coated head.  

No steel shaft, going directly into powder coated head. I said hosel before, but there wasn't one. Clubmaker heated shaft near the head, but did not apply direct heat to head, and heat transferred down shaft into head loosening epoxy. Of course I could be totally misremembering this. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I am not an expert on powder coating, but owned a metal fabrication company for many years. We manufactured metal parts that were used in the transportation industry. The majority of our components were powder coated by a sub-contractor. This was done for corrosion protection and was fairly thick. Personally, I would consider having my putter/clubs chrome plated.

Why chromium is used for electroplating?
Chromium is used for electroplating due to its characteristics. It is shiny which makes the object attractive after electroplating. It is corrosion and scratch resistant. Thus, it protects the object from corrosion and scratch.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x