2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

flier lie

wely324

I switched to Modus 125X this summer from DG S300, mainly as the S300's were from when I was much younger. I definitely had outgrown the S300's and when i tried the modus 125 I loved the ball flight and feel they had. Out of the fairway my distances are always spot on, but the one issue I've had this summer is playing out of the rough. I tend to get so many fliers. Is this something that is more susceptible to certain shafts, or would other factors have a greater effect on how the ball flies out of the rough? Only reason I'm asking is my shots out of the rough from a flier lie, seem to fly flat with no spin on the ball, and they go sometimes a full 2 clubs longer than they should, putting me in a trouble position, I never really noticed this issue with the dynamic golds. 

17 minutes ago, wely324 said:

I switched to Modus 125X this summer from DG S300, mainly as the S300's were from when I was much younger. I definitely had outgrown the S300's and when i tried the modus 125 I loved the ball flight and feel they had. Out of the fairway my distances are always spot on, but the one issue I've had this summer is playing out of the rough. I tend to get so many fliers. Is this something that is more susceptible to certain shafts, or would other factors have a greater effect on how the ball flies out of the rough? Only reason I'm asking is my shots out of the rough from a flier lie, seem to fly flat with no spin on the ball, and they go sometimes a full 2 clubs longer than they should, putting me in a trouble position, I never really noticed this issue with the dynamic golds. 

The lie in the rough itself will have the greatest effect on determining a flier. That is why the phrase "flier lie" is a thing. After that it would be your grooves would have the most influence. Shafts are very low on the list of things having any influence on fliers happening

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

10 minutes ago, DPattGolf said:

The lie in the rough itself will have the greatest effect on determining a flier. That is why the phrase "flier lie" is a thing. After that it would be your grooves would have the most influence. Shafts are very low on the list of things having any influence on fliers happening

Ya, I was mainly referring to possible effects aside from the lie. Now that you mention grooves I do remember my old clubs, TM rac mb's, I believe are no longer USGA conforming due to their grooves. That might be what I'm noticing. Guess I should always make sure my grooves are clean when hitting from the rough!