Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shankster’s Speed Shop

After some analysis of my swing posted above.  I have been working on shallowing the club more.  I spent about 2 hours last night in the window on my takeaway.  I see progress on the through swing already.  Some work to do yet.  I think it will be best to slow down to go fast.  Working on proper set up and swing elements first…

you swing gurus, what do you see?

The reason for the pause is… I was working on getting my hands higher in the backswing like I used to do… however, this has caused some pretty bad pain in my left shoulder.  I’m going to have to slow it down, and use my Faldo/Robert Rock arms equal to shoulder plane for the rest of my golf life.  

If not, I think that my time on the course would be ending sooner than later. 

The first order of business will be to strengthen up, and add some flexibility.  I can still hit my average of 112–115 with the shorter flatter swing… adding some rpm to the engine (me) will have to be slow and in small increments so I don’t destroy my already repaired shoulder, and/or destroy the good one.

Working as a mechanic with my arms above my head as a young adult has caught up with me. 

This might turn into Shankster’s Tune Shop rather than speed shop. Fine tuning what I have, dial in the performance, set the injector timing, and boost properly… and work on the accuracy part of the game rather than the speed…. If while tuning I gain some speed, that will be a bonus.  

This has been on my mind since yesterday, just wanted to write it down for myself to read.

19 minutes ago, Shankster said:

The reason for the pause is… I was working on getting my hands higher in the backswing like I used to do… however, this has caused some pretty bad pain in my left shoulder.  I’m going to have to slow it down, and use my Faldo/Robert Rock arms equal to shoulder plane for the rest of my golf life.  

If not, I think that my time on the course would be ending sooner than later. 

The first order of business will be to strengthen up, and add some flexibility.  I can still hit my average of 112–115 with the shorter flatter swing… adding some rpm to the engine (me) will have to be slow and in small increments so I don’t destroy my already repaired shoulder, and/or destroy the good one.

Working as a mechanic with my arms above my head as a young adult has caught up with me. 

This might turn into Shankster’s Tune Shop rather than speed shop. Fine tuning what I have, dial in the performance, set the injector timing, and boost properly… and work on the accuracy part of the game rather than the speed…. If while tuning I gain some speed, that will be a bonus.  

This has been on my mind since yesterday, just wanted to write it down for myself to read.

Hopefully the shoulder pain clears up. Without knowing exactly what it is I always direct people to focus on strengthening their scapular muscles and light rotator cuff exercises initially. No reason to over work muscles that are constantly being used as stabilizers

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Hi Shankster. I do not know IF your shoulder will handle this tip but I used it to build up my swing speed and total muscle package that get used to swing a club. What I did was buy an old steel shaft persimmon driver. Then I pulled the grip, and filled up the entire shaft with "Lead Shot". I then taped off the end of the shaft and re-installed a new grip. This gave me a driver that weights just over 3 pounds total and it's balanced in the center, like a normal driver. Being much heavier than a normal driver, I get a good workout of "ALL" of the muscles I use to swing a club. And as a bonus it "FORCES ME" to swing in Balance, or I fall over. End result is I am forced to swing in balance and all of the muscles I use to play a normal shot get a nice workout.  When I use this heavy driver, I try to swing it as fast as I can while staying in balance so I hold the finish position at the end of my swing. NOT EASY to do , but with practice it works very well. It also helps to increase shoulder turn during the swing for more power from more upper body coil. 

While this heavy driver may NOT be for everyone, it helped me to improve my balance and increase the strength of all of the muscles used to swing a club. End result was I got stronger and could then swing my clubs with "LESS" effort, and that helps to build club head speed and NOT get tired near the end of a round of golf. I didn't start playing golf until I was 54 years old 20 years ago, and I can still play 18 holes, walking the course and NOT get tired out. Last time I hit the range and used my radar unit, a few months ago, I could hit 108 MPH with my 5 wood. so using the heavy driver didn't hurt my old body too much I would have to say. 

What's also nice about this heavy driver is an old steel shaft persimmon driver is cheap, and the total cost to build the club was less than $20.00  That's a lot cheaper then what some people are selling as training aid, most of which don't work. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

1 hour ago, IONEPUTT said:

Hi Shankster. I do not know IF your shoulder will handle this tip but I used it to build up my swing speed and total muscle package that get used to swing a club. What I did was buy an old steel shaft persimmon driver. Then I pulled the grip, and filled up the entire shaft with "Lead Shot". I then taped off the end of the shaft and re-installed a new grip. This gave me a driver that weights just over 3 pounds total and it's balanced in the center, like a normal driver. Being much heavier than a normal driver, I get a good workout of "ALL" of the muscles I use to swing a club. And as a bonus it "FORCES ME" to swing in Balance, or I fall over. End result is I am forced to swing in balance and all of the muscles I use to play a normal shot get a nice workout.  When I use this heavy driver, I try to swing it as fast as I can while staying in balance so I hold the finish position at the end of my swing. NOT EASY to do , but with practice it works very well. It also helps to increase shoulder turn during the swing for more power from more upper body coil. 

While this heavy driver may NOT be for everyone, it helped me to improve my balance and increase the strength of all of the muscles used to swing a club. End result was I got stronger and could then swing my clubs with "LESS" effort, and that helps to build club head speed and NOT get tired near the end of a round of golf. I didn't start playing golf until I was 54 years old 20 years ago, and I can still play 18 holes, walking the course and NOT get tired out. Last time I hit the range and used my radar unit, a few months ago, I could hit 108 MPH with my 5 wood. so using the heavy driver didn't hurt my old body too much I would have to say. 

What's also nice about this heavy driver is an old steel shaft persimmon driver is cheap, and the total cost to build the club was less than $20.00  That's a lot cheaper then what some people are selling as training aid, most of which don't work. 

I have an old Titleist 3 wood in the shed.  I used to swing 3 clubs to “warm up” so I know what you are saying.

17 hours ago, Shankster said:

I have an old Titleist 3 wood in the shed.  I used to swing 3 clubs to “warm up” so I know what you are saying.

If that old 3 wood has a steel shaft, you can use it to build a heavy club by adding lead shot inside the shaft. Should do fine instead of buying an old driver. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing.