Testers Wanted: Precision Pro Titan Elite Rangefinder ×

Swing Weight Question

Micah T

Was at my golf studio the other night, and some guys in the next bay over had an assortment of golf stuff: what caught my eye was a swing weight scale. I could’ve sworn my driver setup (Ping G410 LST/Tensei white tx 60 gram) was D6; ended up being E7.  I didn’t even realize the scale went past D. Question is, how heavy is too heavy? I’ve read before that D5 is the “ideal” swing weight for most golfers, but I’ve never felt like my driver swing weight was holding me back. Thoughts?

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

8 hours ago, Micah T said:

Question is, how heavy is too heavy? I’ve read before that D5 is the “ideal” swing weight for most golfers, but I’ve never felt like my driver swing weight was holding me back. Thoughts?

Too heavy is where you start to lose club performance as is too light.   D5 is “ideal” for whom?    Hopefully you get my point that specs for a club are only ideal for you.   People get hung up when they cut down a shaft that they need to add weight to the head to get swing weight back.    If everyone needed the same shaft, length, grip, head weight, swing weight, etc. there would only need to be one driver. Swing weight is simply the by product of a properly fit club.  A good fitting should take this into account and figuring out total weight and swing weight is part of the process.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 hours ago, Micah T said:

Was at my golf studio the other night, and some guys in the next bay over had an assortment of golf stuff: what caught my eye was a swing weight scale. I could’ve sworn my driver setup (Ping G410 LST/Tensei white tx 60 gram) was D6; ended up being E7.  I didn’t even realize the scale went past D. Question is, how heavy is too heavy? I’ve read before that D5 is the “ideal” swing weight for most golfers, but I’ve never felt like my driver swing weight was holding me back. Thoughts?

You will find most manufacturers drivers to be d2-3 and outside of the stealth at d5 I’m not aware of any that are above d3.

You won’t find many irons at d5 and that’s about where wedges start in swing weight. Most wedges are d5-6.

There’s no ideal swingweight in general for golfers it all going to be golfer dependent. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

...and let's not forget that those were the numbers given to you by a stranger at a driving range.

image.png.3b883ddb02eed4871ea9eb0079d51e22.png Aerojet LS driver

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter