Chisag's Tip Of The Day #26

"Creating" Lag In Your Swing

... Pretty sure this is a repeat so I will keep it short and simple. You do not "create" lag. Lag is a by product of a good swing and something that occurs with proper sequencing. If you do not actively release the club head or you do not actively hold back the club head from releasing, you have a very good chance of producing lag in your swing. Think of throwing a baseball. Do you lead with your elbow? If you do you are naturally producing lag with your throwing motion. The elbow leads with the forearm trailing and the wrist bent. You do not actively release your wrirst nor do you stop your wrist from releasing. You simply throw the ball and the kinetic chain takes care of the release.

... If this is a concept you struggle with, next time you are at the range try throwing a golf ball like you are skipping a stone across a lake without caring about direction. You should experience a free wheeling motion with again, the elbow leading and the arm and wrist throwing the ball. Those that either naturally produce this motion or learn it through practice find they can almost "throw" the club as fast as they comfortable can. They do not guide or attempt to do anything other than simply throwing at almost full speed. So give the throwing motion a try with the goal of free wheeling without any care where the ball flys. Many of you will be surprised at how much faster you can swing without swinging harder. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
                  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 20* 7 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

Good friend of mine, who's in great shape and quite athletic .. and who could be a really good golfer but just keeps insisting on literally getting in his own way .. earlier this year he kept asking me about the "Lag Shot" trainer...

Without directly commenting on it, I said, "Why don't your ask your instructor if he thinks this would be useful for you?"

Made sense to me, but not to him. He asked me again another time .. "Did you ask your instructor?" .. "No" ... 

Anyway I went ahead and bought him a pair of Orange Whips (full size and compact) for a 65th birthday gift. He _says_ he likes them and has been using them.... 🤞

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08; Tour Edge 1-Out
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric trolley.
Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg