Bucket Hats

PBH3

On 5/29/2024 at 8:35 AM, itsteetime said:

My GF uses Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on my hats to get out the stains.

Thanks for the tip. I never tried that but now plan on picking up some magic erasers and give it a go

MDRossi

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Sweet! Didn't play Balboa, but practically lived at Encino and Woodley when I was out in LA for 2 pilot seasons in the early 2000's and a two month visit with my son about 5 years ago. Some rounds at Rustic Canyon, Tierra Rejada, Simi Hills, Camarillo Springs and Sterling Hills but 80% were at Woodley/Encino. 

BIG fan of Rustic - I think it might be my favorite (tied, perhaps, with Soule Park up in Ojai - same designer 😉 ) in the area.  Tierra's a great (tough) track, and have played Sterling Hills once and really dug it.  Have yet to get out to Camarillo or Simi, but they're on my list, for sure.  Up by me there's Sand Canyon (used to be Robinson Ranch, apparently) - really beautiful desert mountain track - if you ever get back this way, let's definitely get out and play it. Worth the price of admission ($70 on a weekday, $90 Sat/Sun).  

Encino's definitely my preferred of the Balboa/Woodley/Encino triumvirate - but only because I have my lowest round ever there 🙂

Driver - Callaway Ai Smoke Max - 9* - Draw setting; Maltby UL (Otto Phlex)
5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*) (currently benched)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*/DF3 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

I have always been function over fashion in everything I wear.  The bucket hat or my sun sleeves may look goofy to some others on the course but keeping the tops of my ears from being cut off (like my father and a couple of golfing buddies I know) is more than worth it.  Besides, I don't have to look at me.  😜

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

3 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Where in SoCal are you? I'm up in Santa Clarita, but am down in the Valley (at the cheap munis there (Woodley, Balboa, Encino, etc.)) all the time.  And now that I have my L.A.B. Rat bucket hat, I'm all about them - especially for keeping the sun off my neck 🙂

Ditto in Norcal - if the marine layer isn't sticking around for the round, I'm wearing a bucket hat. I'm vain when it comes to my bag, but never for sun protection.

Driver: Srixon ZX5 MK II w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 80 X-Stiff

Fairways:  Srixon ZX5 MK I 3W w/ Evenflow Riptide 5.5, Srixon ZX5 MK II w/ 5W Fujikura Ventus Blue X-Stiff

Hybrid: Callaway Rogue ST MAX 4H w/ Mitsubishi TENSEI AV Blue 75 Stiff

Irons:  Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW w/ KBS C-taper 130 X-Stiff

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX 2 54/58 w/ Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge

Putter:  Tri-Hot 5K Rossie S Putter

Ball:  Snell MTB-X (or whatever decent I can get for <$2 a ball)

17 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Where in SoCal are you? I'm up in Santa Clarita, but am down in the Valley (at the cheap munis there (Woodley, Balboa, Encino, etc.)) all the time.  And now that I have my L.A.B. Rat bucket hat, I'm all about them - especially for keeping the sun off my neck 🙂

I'm in Rancho Palos Verdes, if you're familiar w/ the area. Home course is Trump National and also play local course Los Verdes. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus, 9* turned 9.75*, Stiff, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 60g, Cut 1" Short

Hybrid: :adams-small: Pro 2 Hybrid 18* Aldila Tour 75g Stiff 

Driving Iron: Akira Mi118 Prototype Utility 2 Iron

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790, 4-GW Dynamic Gold, Stiff

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore MID 56* & 60*, Bent 2* upright

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: GM2 Exchange 2 Mallet, Center Shaft, Super Stroke 2.0

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x

Technology: Blue Tees Golf Series 3 Max Rangefinder

Bag: :sunmountain: Boom 14-Way Cart Bag

5 hours ago, Eltrain41 said:

I'm in Rancho Palos Verdes, if you're familiar w/ the area. Home course is Trump National and also play local course Los Verdes. 

Los Verdes is a fun course and good test of golf for not a lot of money. I used to play there when I lived in Redondo Beach. Now live near San Jose. No city/county courses as good as Los Verdes near here. Good courses are privately operated and more expensive.

Callaway 816 Alpha DBD driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, Alpha 815 3 hybrid, RAZR X Forged cavity back irons 3-AW, 54-14 MD4 wedge, Maltby MS+ wide grind 60 degree lob wedge, 37 inch Rife Swithback Two putter. All clubs overlength - 47 inch driver, 45 inch 3wood, 44 inch 5 wood, 41 inch 3 hybrid, 39.5 inch 5 iron with other irons in line with that. All clubs graphite shafted and X-flex except flex of putter.

17 hours ago, Bob Pegram said:

Los Verdes is a fun course and good test of golf for not a lot of money. I used to play there when I lived in Redondo Beach. Now live near San Jose. No city/county courses as good as Los Verdes near here. Good courses are privately operated and more expensive.

Good test for the price with some ocean views on a handful of holes. I wish they charged a bit more and fixed up the course a little but that's how LA County courses go and no complaints from me. Challenge to walk as well, but good workout. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus, 9* turned 9.75*, Stiff, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 60g, Cut 1" Short

Hybrid: :adams-small: Pro 2 Hybrid 18* Aldila Tour 75g Stiff 

Driving Iron: Akira Mi118 Prototype Utility 2 Iron

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790, 4-GW Dynamic Gold, Stiff

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore MID 56* & 60*, Bent 2* upright

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: GM2 Exchange 2 Mallet, Center Shaft, Super Stroke 2.0

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x

Technology: Blue Tees Golf Series 3 Max Rangefinder

Bag: :sunmountain: Boom 14-Way Cart Bag

On 6/3/2024 at 8:09 PM, GolfSpy SAM said:

BIG fan of Rustic - I think it might be my favorite (tied, perhaps, with Soule Park up in Ojai - same designer 😉 ) in the area.  Tierra's a great (tough) track, and have played Sterling Hills once and really dug it.  Have yet to get out to Camarillo or Simi, but they're on my list, for sure.  Up by me there's Sand Canyon (used to be Robinson Ranch, apparently) - really beautiful desert mountain track - if you ever get back this way, let's definitely get out and play it. Worth the price of admission ($70 on a weekday, $90 Sat/Sun).  

Encino's definitely my preferred of the Balboa/Woodley/Encino triumvirate - but only because I have my lowest round ever there 🙂

Plus one for Rustic.  I actually like Encino best out of that triumvirate, but I shot my best round at Woodley.  I pretty much live at Rancho Park though, and tee times are a little easier to get under the City’s new rules.  But I’m surprised you didn’t mention a great City track that you have to pass to get to Encino, that being Hansen Dam.  It’s definitely better than Balboa and Woodley, and it’s a toss up between Hansen and Encino…