Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

CJEFFS12 EXPERIENCE WITH LS MODELS

cjeffs12

This season I have went down the rabbit hole of chasing distance, so I wanted to give two models a try. I tried both the Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash, and the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS, and I compared them to my long time gamer the Titleist Pro V1x. My clubs are fitted using the Pro V1x, and I wanted to try these due to swing changes adding spin to my shots. Let me start off by saying both the Left Dash and X LS are beasts! I wouldn't say they are crazy low spin, but lower spin than the V1x with similar height. I love the distance I was getting off the tee, I was able to hit fades without much distance loss, I thought I was playing "power fades", and my draws would go for days. I noticed I was at least one club longer with my irons, and even with wedges they were just one hop and stop. Whereas, with the V1x I spin it back sometimes even with my 9 iron and down. On my "ON" days I love these balls, but I tend to play early in the morning and I would get a lot of fliers with the morning dew. This is the main reason I have gone back to the V1x. Another area I struggled with the LS models, is around the green, I had to have a clean lie and no moisture to get the balls to check up. If I was in the rough or in the dew they would really run out, but with the V1x I could still get them to stop. It was a really eye opening test to see the differences, and I do think I need to try a more mid spin golf ball like a V1 or maybe a TOUR BX, because I learned I do not want to sacrifice the greenside spin for distance. 

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

6 hours ago, cjeffs12 said:

but I tend to play early in the morning and I would get a lot of fliers with the morning dew. This is the main reason I have gone back to the V1x. Another area I struggled with the LS models, is around the green, I had to have a clean lie and no moisture to get the balls to check up. If I was in the rough or in the dew they would really run out, but with the V1x I could still get them to stop. It was a really eye opening test to see the differences, and I do think I need to try a more mid spin golf ball like a V1 or maybe a TOUR BX, because I learned I do not want to sacrifice the greenside spin for distance. 

Almost exactly my journey from this summer. I was totally sold on the standard ProV1 (and Maxfli Tour CG for practice, because its performance is indistinguishable from ProV1 for me) but the XLS absolutely grabbed my attention after 9 holes with it. I was always afraid of the Left Dash because I'd seen others describe it as like playing a cue ball and that it would make your shoulders hurt from the vibration of an off-center shot. I've found I actually really like the feedback it gives me, especially on iron shots. And the height from XLS and Left Dash matters less when it's super firm conditions, but is definitely an advantage over mid-launch balls (like ProV1 and Maxfli Tour CG) when you need to maximize carry off the tee.

BUT. Ballnamic wasn't kidding: Left Dash is extremely flier-prone. XLS is a little better with fliers, but I get better greenside performance (overall) from Left Dash. I tried a sleeve of Tour BX's and... meh. I'm ruined. After I burn through my remaining stash of ProV1s and Maxflis, it's gonna be Left Dashes when I can get them in-stock and XLS when I can't.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

36 minutes ago, GregGarner said:

Almost exactly my journey from this summer. I was totally sold on the standard ProV1 (and Maxfli Tour CG for practice, because its performance is indistinguishable from ProV1 for me) but the XLS absolutely grabbed my attention after 9 holes with it. I was always afraid of the Left Dash because I'd seen others describe it as like playing a cue ball and that it would make your shoulders hurt from the vibration of an off-center shot. I've found I actually really like the feedback it gives me, especially on iron shots. And the height from XLS and Left Dash matters less when it's super firm conditions, but is definitely an advantage over mid-launch balls (like ProV1 and Maxfli Tour CG) when you need to maximize carry off the tee.

BUT. Ballnamic wasn't kidding: Left Dash is extremely flier-prone. XLS is a little better with fliers, but I get better greenside performance (overall) from Left Dash. I tried a sleeve of Tour BX's and... meh. I'm ruined. After I burn through my remaining stash of ProV1s and Maxflis, it's gonna be Left Dashes when I can get them in-stock and XLS when I can't.

Yeah I really like the feedback from a firmer ball, which is why I’ve tended to stay away from the V1. I am disappointed with the lack enthusiasm of the BX, but I tried last years model and was the same way sadly, so I don’t think I’ll waste the money. I’ve played two rounds since switching back into the regular V1x, and I am missing the performance from the XLS. I have two dozens left, and will see if a little more work around the greens will get me better with them. Just may have to play later in the day to avoid flier lol

Just curious @GregGarnerand @cjeffs12 what swing speeds are you gaming?

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

1 minute ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Currently I am 110+

10 hours ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Cruising speed around 108-110, top-end around 113-115 (per PRGR)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2022 at 9:25 AM, Golfspy_TCB said:

I am 100-105 and tested the Left Dash this summer. Loved it and am going to buy some (used) for the added performance off the tee. I don't try to stop greenside shots with spin and that is the weakest part of my game. Instead of trying to improve it with the high spin of the Tour B XS, I am going the opposite direction and maximizing performance off the tee which is my strength. 

Usually play the Tour B XS, or Z StarXV. Spent more time this year with the regular Pro V1x which has near identical driver spin numbers to the Chromesoft X LS in the MGS ball test last year. I found 1 XLS on the course this year and unfortunately sliced it into a hazard. But it looked like it wanted to go for miles and I considered buying some to compare with the left dash, but figured it would have minimal difference than a V1X with less stopping power.  

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I average about 112 with tons of natural spin. I had the best driver spin control with AVX and Vice Pro Plus.

Driver:  Wilson Staff Cortex 9* Atmos Blue 6

3 Wood: Walter Hagen AWX

5 Wood:  Walter Hagen AWX

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Aeroburner 

Irons 5-AW: TaylorMade Aeroburner HL 

Sand Wedge:   Wilson Harmonized 56*

Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite Bucktown 34"