Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Congratulations RoverRick

Tony Covey MGS

If it makes you feel any better, some of my best putting has been with a 405 gram (reweighted by me) SeeMore FGP at 34.25 inches. Maybe you should give the almost belly a shot? It's at 38 inches and you don't touch your belly, but it allows you to stand more erect. (Unless you're John Daly like in statue, and in that case, a 38" putter is too long to be a belly putter).

Finally we have some adult supervision on the driver shaft issue and you are still going on about putter shafts. :D

New shaft in putter, new grip on, waiting for daylight, but I have to decide tonight on the driver shaft.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Ok, I took my wife to Dallas, had lunch, left her at the mall and went to Edwin Watts. Unfortunately, Edwin Watts is now a discount furniture store and had the option of spending 25 minutes driving to a Golf Galaxy or going to the Golfsmiths next to the mall where my wife was, so I went to Golfsmiths.

They had a, yes A, Razr Fit Driver with a Rip's NV shaft. As I stated I do not do well on launch monitors inside a building. No matter how I try I can not stop worrying about hitting the ceiling or the wall. I have done both in the living room and my wife is not fond of it, I can assure you. Plus I try to get the numbers up and swing harder which brings the numbers down. Yesterday, I attached my Medicus Swing Speed Monitor to my driver when I got on the course and checked out every time when actually playing golf. I was 98 to 103 mph every time. Average speed was 101.2 mph. Average for 10 times I used the driver was 266.4 yards according to gps. That is total distance, do not know the carry and roll numbers. Hard to tell from the tee box. :D

Today on their launch monitor Here are the numbers These are the averages.

The first thing I noticed was that I did not finish my swings, near as high as on the course so I know the launch numbers are lower than normal, I guess because of the ceiling. I generally can hit the ball high or low, but never really hit it too high.

94 mph 139 Ball speed 11.3 Launch 3905 Back spin 4000 total spin 40* decent 210 carry 234 total and 29.5 Apex

I know just enough about this to be a menace to the golfing society but I think that my launch is low and spin too high.

I have a pretty smooth transition. usually coming to a stop before starting down. except for when I start the swing halfway through the backswing and jump in the air trying to kill the ball, but it does not matter about that because i may not even hit the ball,

I took these drivers with me.

I a 909D3 9.5* Motore F1 55 S with a bout 14 deg launch but 4500 rpms today.

I have a FT9 which is the one I used yesterday, with a UST Proforce V2 Stiff 67 grams that was giving me 3200 rpms on the launch monitor today

I did find a Nike VRs 9.5 and a Fubuki k series 70 and was getting spin rates around 2500 to 2600. and about 13 degrees launch. of course this is the futherest I hit the ball and had a little better club head speed.

All advise and opinions are now solicited. But I reserve the right to choose the one I want.:P

The magic numbers you're looking for at your swingspeed range is 13 degrees of launch and 2800 RPM's. That, according to physics calculations, should yield maximum carry and roll. That Rip'd NV is a proprietary shaft they make for Callaway (there's an aftermarket version, but the stocker in the Razr Fit is a watered down version). The real deal shaft is mid launch and mid spin. The proprietary version is mid-high launch and mid-high spin. You, IMO, would do better in something that's going to raise your launch (loft change, not spin) and use the shaft to bring it back down and cut spin off. I'd like to see you in something as follows on a monitor:

Callaway Razr Fit 11.5 degree head with one of the following 3 shafts: Diamana Whiteboard, Graphite Designs Tour AD DI, Mitsubishi-Rayon Fubuki Tour.

I honestly think that combination, among all that they offer (and I'm assuming is going to be available to you) would work out best to bring launch up while killing the spin a bunch and getting you more close to optimal.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

(Unless you're John Daly like in statue, and in that case, a 38" putter is too long to be a belly putter).

Before of after the tummy tuck. Because I am now. But I can bend over the putter and it does not touch. Close but not quite.

Before of after the tummy tuck. Because I am now. But I can bend over the putter and it does not touch. Close but not quite.

Prior to the tummy tuck, he needed a 33" belly putter.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

It was a 9.5 and that is really all I know. I was fearful that someone would recommend this shaft. I am not sure I can do this shaft. It requires soul searching. You see, three of my regular group are Uof Texas Lawyers, colors are Orange and White, I am a Texas A&M Engineer the arch rivals. I am not sure it would be worth it to me to pull it out of the bag with them.

Rick, I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I can't help you anymore. I married a Texas girl with UT roots. Hook 'em Horns! :P

On a serious note, I haven't tried the Fubuki, but the AD DI could be worth the harassment if you need less spin. I'm not a hype guy and I wanted to dump on that shaft after seeing everyone one on every forum hyperventilating over it, but it's the business.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Rick, I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I can't help you anymore. I married a Texas girl with UT roots. Hook 'em Horns! :P

On a serious note, I haven't tried the Fubuki, but the AD DI could be worth the harassment if you need less spin. I'm not a hype guy and I wanted to dump on that shaft after seeing everyone one on every forum hyperventilating over it, but it's the business.

I fear that the Fubuki not the Series K will spin too much. Also, I read your review and am concerned about the not loading the AD DI enough, but think the Ahina will be the best.

• SPY VIP

First...Love that this Congrats thread has grown into a community effort to help Rick get the best possible fit for his new driver.

I'll steer clear of making any recommendations myself. Worth checking out is Titleist's fitting guide. It's a great resource for shaft comparison as well as individual shaft characteristics. Obviously not a perfect 1 for 1 match with the RAZR Fit options, but worth a look.

http://media.titleist.com/images/titleist/pdfs/US/2011/flipbook/2011_Winter_Custom_Option/html/index.html#/1/

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Thanks Matt, I have that chart saved as a favorite and use it all the time.

Thanks to all who have given your opinions. After much debate and soul searching, I have decided on a shaft and fired off the email so I can not undo it. I will let you know how it turns out.

Well, I have sent the email and the Options were

Tour AD DI 6

Fubuki K not really an option since Callaway does not show it

Ahina

So I decided to go with the AD DI, high launch, low spin.

I think you'll be very happy with the performance of the AD DI. One thought I had about the AD DI and "smoothing" out the feel was to add some weight to the head. Not sure if Callaway will make heavier weights available to us mere mortals, but this could be one solution.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I think the Hammer with their special shaft would be a perfect fit Rick...BOOOOOM!!!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Don't give them any ideas, Tony already said if they would have pick the member first and then the prises, I would have gotten one each of all the training aids they ever heard of because obviously I need all the heilp I can get. Plus a copy of Dr. Bob Rotella's newest book, "Swing Like you normally do dumb @$$, how to play under pressure." To overcome my phobia of swinging inside and on the swing machine. But it is the same way on the range, I warm up on the range but work on my swing on the course. The longer I am on the range the worse I usually get.

RR, you're my Member of The Month!..lol..I started practicing w/my 18' hybrid on greenside chips & I used it 5 times(anywhere from 35'-70') across 2 rounds last week & I got up/down 4 of those times & there were no miracles involved, just solid shots..Thanx, you opened my eyes..As for your gift, if ya ever get to Pgh,PA, let me know & the round/drinks are on me..You'd enjoy the track..Fairways & Greens 4ever...

On number 6 today (the second time, we were just going to play until it started the 90% chance of rain. we quit after 36 holes,) I was under a tree 127 yards from the hole, I said this is going to be a long putt, and putted with the 14 degree hybrid, it rolled all the way to the hole and lipped out, when I got to the green, one of the guys who had been on the other side of the fairway and had not heard my comment said, "Nice two putt birdie."

• 4 weeks later...

After weeks of running to the door and sitting by the curb in vain, the brown truck arrived with a package from Carlsbad, Ca. Sadly, it was too late in the day, after dark, and after 36 holes of golf so I could not go out and play with my new toy last night. Well, I did step outside and make a few swings just to see if the head flew off or something. All I could really tell is that it made a whoossh when I swung it. But it was a good whoossh.

As I said in earlier posts, I decided to go with the Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 shaft. Unfortunately, Callaway said it would be June before they could deliver that one. So I sent a wish list to T to workout the details. A couple of weeks ago, I heard from T that they said they could deliver a Tour AD DI 7. I said that was acceptable and now it is here.

Drvshft.jpg

I am not as skilled at taking pictures as T and Matt, and to be honest, I was thinking while taking these how good a job they really do because until you do it you do not realize how difficult it is to hold the club, and the camera, and get a good picture. As you can see, I am not a skilled professional.

Driver.JPG

And looking down the shaft.

Driver POV.JPG

Now, her name is Ellie Mae Callaway, named after Eli Callaway. Ellie and I have only been on one date and are still getting used to each other but I hope to have more info tomorrow. I had it set in the square position and did not take my tool with me to adjust it. I have put it in the bag and now have it set to open.

Honestly, this is not significantly different than rolling the shaft in your hands but do not tell any of the adjustable drivers are the cat's meow crowd that I am committing such sacrilege.

More on performance tomorrow.

I also have a Frogger Towel coming from Discount Golf. The really cool thing about them is that you can use the 18% GolfSpy Discount along with other discounts.

Also I have the grips from Pure Grip with my name on them but since I regripped all my clubs in February it will be a while before I need these.

• SPY VIP

Definitely come back here with a full review of the new driver. Now if we could only get JohnBarry to do the same with his RocketBallz 3-Wood...

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Archived