Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Installing LA Golf or Stability putter shafts

treeleaf20

I’m debating trying to install these shafts myself. I obviously will need to cut it to length. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to cut these and the tool to use to avoid splintering it or ruining the shaft? 

In addition, any tricks to sand it where it goes into the hosel for the epoxy?

Edited by treeleaf20
Title change

• treeleaf20 changed the title to Installing LA Golf or Stability putter shafts

An internet search will show you what you need to know as you are asking a basic clubmaking question: how do you cut and prep the tip of a graphite shaft?

I don’t know what tools you have but some of the basics: 

1. to cut graphite it is best to use a cutoff wheel

https://www.mitchellgolf.com/shop/re-shafting/motors-supplies/cut-off-wheels/shaft-cut-off-wheel/

you can use a bow saw if you don’t want to invest or have a tool to use a cutoff wheel.

https://www.hirekogolf.com/the-nitty-gritty-to-cutting-graphite-golf-shafts-efficiently

some people will say hack saw, coping saw, or Dremel as well.  

Wrap masking tape around the spot you are cutting and go slowly to help avoid fraying/splintering.  

2.  Shaft prep is the same as any other shaft.   For a Stability you are prepping steel and for LA golf you are prepping graphite… unless it is the LA golf SOHO shaft, which I have read uses  steel to strengthen the shaft for the over hosel installation. 
2008HowToBuildClubs.pdf?1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, treeleaf20 said:

@cnosil Thank you very much. If I just get a Dremel and a wheel, do you know if I need any special type of wheel for the Dremel?

I use a Dremel tool as it was the more affordable option for the limited amount of time, I was cutting graphite shafts. you can use the standard disc cut off wheel that comes with the kit. I also put a wrap of masking tape around the shaft. Mark the length on the tape and slowly rotate the shaft as you are cutting. This gives you a clean cut and no frayed fibers. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

It will but you will probably break and go through discs quickly. You are better off with a small pipe cutter. You can pick up one for about $15.00

image.png.5a994af273acbc22926b230810bb5882.png

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

4 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

It will but you will probably break and go through discs quickly. You are better off with a small pipe cutter. You can pick up one for about $15.00

image.png.5a994af273acbc22926b230810bb5882.png

I second the pipe cutter for steel shafts.   I have used these and they are very effective.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, treeleaf20 said:

@Tom the Golf Nut thank you. Would that also cut steel shafts or do you need a different disc?

Pipe cutter from the plumbing department of your local hardware store.  Please find a youtube video on how to use 'em.  It's tighten, make three turns, tighten a wee bit more, make three turns, repeat until the cut is complete rather than crank the hell out of and try to make the cut in two turns of the device.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

Solid information above.  If a one-off project the tube cutter and rod saw blade with taping as a first option, or even a very fine hacksaw blade with tight taping as a second option.  You might want to buy a couple clubs for a buck or two at a local thrift shop and practice first if needed.    If you get addicted to cutting shafts my choice was using an angle grinder on a stand- an efficient, quick, and not so expensive option. 

I'll add, and it may be just a compulsive note on my end,  I used to make sure the shaft sat level in the holder-vise to make sure the cut was true.

Rod-Saw_cutting.webp.4cada27dd9f103551d33d651d5bd22f0.webp

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if you can use the stove flame to break up the epoxy on the top portion of the steel rod that gets inserted into the stability shaft? I don't know if heating up the stability shaft part with high heat would melt it or cause an issue? Would you need a shaft puller to remove the steel rod or could you just twist it out? 

In addition, could you heat up the LA golf shaft (specifically talking about the p-soho shaft) with direct high heat like that because I believe it's mainly considered steel? Could you also twist it or would you need a shaft puller for that as well?