Reviews From a Regular Guy: Shotscope H4 GPS+Shot Tracking

Groovethumper

I wrote this review a while back, but if anyone wants a short review of the Shotscope H4 handheld/belt-clip GPS and tracker.

Every Shot Counted

Shot Scope H4 GPS+Tracker

Do you hate wearing a watch? I do. The make my wrist itch, the metal bands irritate me, the synthetic ones don’t breathe, and the cloth bands just get soaked with sweat. The last thing I need on a humid afternoon in the  middle of summer is something else to provide another uncomfortable distraction while I’m out on the course. Thank the golf gods that the designers at Shot Scope decided to throw all of the technology in their V3 series watch into a handheld device that provides a treasure chest full of usable statistics for game development as well as GPS data for the course.

In the box you’ll find a USB charger (it’s specific to the unit so you’ll want to keep track of this), a magnetic belt clip that provides a very secure  connection if you prefer to wear it that way, the GPS unit itself, and 16 screw in club tags. The prime differences in the tags for the H4 vs the Arccos is that the Shot Scope tags don’t use a battery, so you don’t have to worry about the sensors going dead after a couple of years. The D-ring fits through a slot on the belt clip if you opt to carry the unit clipped onto your bag.
image.png.cc7d95fff06d4c51be67bee133121de0.png

image.png.987bc65224b046db0e956ab28de96352.pngTo get

To get the clubs ready just screw the tags into the grips of the corresponding clubs. Then download and start the mobile app, power on the H4, and the app will walk you through a simple pairing process. Once at the course turn the unit on, acquire the GPS signal, and you’re off to the first tee.

On the course it’s a very accurate GPS unit with suggested layups, distances to hazards, front, middle, back, etc. Unlike the V3 watch the H4 does not automatically detect your swing.  The H4 relies on the golfer to “tag” the club before each shot to register position. This may seem like a hassle, but as I read reviews of various watch based systems missing shots, I came to like the idea of having to tag it myself. I have worked it into my preshot routine and tagging the club serves as a trigger that I’ve moved into the “action zone”. So far I’ve logged two rounds and not a missed shot, which made post round editing in app or on PC a breeze.

image.png.4532544a3cd92a98277f6344dddaeeb8.png

Now we get to the fun stuff… the data. The H4 gives you three different distances for your clubs; Longest, Average, and P-Avg (Playing Average). The first two are self explanatory, but the playing average removes outliers from tops, duffs, scoops, teethers, etc. This gives valuable real life distances that mean more to me than LM numbers. There is also Strokes Gained data for a quick comparison of your game to your handicap peers that is in an easily understood “at a glance” reference, or it can be as deep a dive as you like.

image.png.92c4ac7640c3ddce6706e8f6b4ff3786.png

All in all I don’t think you could get more bang for the buck out of a shot tracker. While it may not have an A.I. caddy like it’s competition, it’s a more than capable unit for game development and it’s lack of subscription fees and lifetime updates to the firmware make it a great choice for the value minded golfer.

Edited by Groovethumper
Added photos

Cobra Rad Speed XB,Taylor Made PSI 4 iron, Wishon EQ1-NX 5-GW, Mizuno T22 SW,LW, M-Craft VI putter, OnCOre Elixr Matte Green

Honestly almost pulled the trigger on this product yesterday. I like the lack of subscription fees after trying Arccos during COVID. Still have the sensors screwed into the grips of my clubs actually. The fact that you need to "tag" the club seems like a chore, but I can see how it can be a part of the routine as well...

Thank you for sharing!!

Driver:    Cobra King F9 10.5*
3-Wood:    Callaway XR 
3-Hybrid:  Cobra fly-z 19*
Irons:     Titleist AP1 714 - 4-P

Wedges:    Cleveland CBX2 Black Satin 52.12*,56.12* -- Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black 60K*
Putter:    Scotty Cameron Golo 3
Balls:     Titleist Pro-V1
GPS:       Bushnell Wingman

All clubs lengthened 2"

14 minutes ago, Big BuckK said:

Honestly almost pulled the trigger on this product yesterday. I like the lack of subscription fees after trying Arccos during COVID. Still have the sensors screwed into the grips of my clubs actually. The fact that you need to "tag" the club seems like a chore, but I can see how it can be a part of the routine as well...

Thank you for sharing!!

You can also get the X5 and V3 which are watch based ShotScope systems and pick up the tags when you swing.   With the H4 the tagging just becomes part of you routine.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 hours ago, Groovethumper said:

I wrote this review a while back, but if anyone wants a short review of the Shotscope H4 handheld/belt-clip GPS and tracker.

Every Shot Counted

Shot Scope H4 GPS+Tracker

Do you hate wearing a watch? I do. The make my wrist itch, the metal bands irritate me, the synthetic ones don’t breathe, and the cloth bands just get soaked with sweat. The last thing I need on a humid afternoon in the  middle of summer is something else to provide another uncomfortable distraction while I’m out on the course. Thank the golf gods that the designers at Shot Scope decided to throw all of the technology in their V3 series watch into a handheld device that provides a treasure chest full of usable statistics for game development as well as GPS data for the course.

In the box you’ll find a USB charger (it’s specific to the unit so you’ll want to keep track of this), a magnetic belt clip that provides a very secure  connection if you prefer to wear it that way, the GPS unit itself, and 16 screw in club tags. The prime differences in the tags for the H4 vs the Arccos is that the Shot Scope tags don’t use a battery, so you don’t have to worry about the sensors going dead after a couple of years. The D-ring fits through a slot on the belt clip if you opt to carry the unit clipped onto your bag.

To get the clubs ready just screw the tags into the grips of the corresponding clubs. Then download and start the mobile app, power on the H4, and the app will walk you through a simple pairing process. Once at the course turn the unit on, acquire the GPS signal, and you’re off to the first tee.

On the course it’s a very accurate GPS unit with suggested layups, distances to hazards, front, middle, back, etc. Unlike the V3 watch the H4 does not automatically detect your swing.  The H4 relies on the golfer to “tag” the club before each shot to register position. This may seem like a hassle, but as I read reviews of various watch based systems missing shots, I came to like the idea of having to tag it myself. I have worked it into my preshot routine and tagging the club serves as a trigger that I’ve moved into the “action zone”. So far I’ve logged two rounds and not a missed shot, which made post round editing in app or on PC a breeze.

Now we get to the fun stuff… the data. The H4 gives you three different distances for your clubs; Longest, Average, and P-Avg (Playing Average). The first two are self explanatory, but the playing average removes outliers from tops, duffs, scoops, teethers, etc. This gives valuable real life distances that mean more to me than LM numbers. There is also Strokes Gained data for a quick comparison of your game to your handicap peers that is in an easily understood “at a glance” reference, or it can be as deep a dive as you like.

All in all I don’t think you could get more bang for the buck out of a shot tracker. While it may not have an A.I. caddy like it’s competition, it’s a more than capable unit for game development and it’s lack of subscription fees and lifetime updates to the firmware make it a great choice for the value minded golfer.

Nice write up. I have the H4 as well and love it. Former Arccos user but really disliked the subscription model. Yes there are some things I miss like adjusted carry and club recommendations but not enough to go back.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 60g 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

19 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Nice write up. I have the H4 as well and love it. Former Arccos user but really disliked the subscription model. Yes there are some things I miss like adjusted carry and club recommendations but not enough to go back.

Thanks brother. I love mine, and I just worked tagging the club into my preshot routine and since then I haven't missed a shot. I've tried the auto swing sensing ones but I don't like the occasional missed swing. This way if I do miss one it's one me.😄

Edited by Groovethumper

Cobra Rad Speed XB,Taylor Made PSI 4 iron, Wishon EQ1-NX 5-GW, Mizuno T22 SW,LW, M-Craft VI putter, OnCOre Elixr Matte Green

@Big BuckK, having used the H4 for about nine months, I have to agree with @cnosil and @Groovethumper about how easy it is to incorporate the tagging into your pre-shot routine.  If I do miss a shot here or there, it's typically my fault.  For some reason, I seem to forget to tag my sand wedge when I'm in a trap. 

Until adding the Shot Scope H4, I utilized the GHIN basic statistics.  I found the Shot Scope data and resulting strokes gained/lost in comparison to my handicap peers to be very insightful and highlighted areas for improvement that I would not necessarily had thought.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

On 4/19/2023 at 3:07 PM, Big BuckK said:

Thank you for sharing!!

For me the tagging serves as a trigger to put me into "shot mode" so to speak. You make up your mind and pick the club, commit and tag. Then just step up, aim, and hit. It's served well to help keep me focused.

• 2 months later...

I picked one up last season but never got around to actually getting it out to use. I recently moved across the country into a wonderful golf-focused community here in central TN (5 courses in the community) and got it back out. Got the tags on my clubs, set up my account, set up the tags, and ready to go. I'm really looking forward to seeing all the stats after a few rounds to see how I'm doing and find where I need to focus more on.

Thanks for the review!

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!

7 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

I picked one up last season but never got around to actually getting it out to use. I recently moved across the country into a wonderful golf-focused community here in central TN (5 courses in the community) and got it back out. Got the tags on my clubs, set up my account, set up the tags, and ready to go. I'm really looking forward to seeing all the stats after a few rounds to see how I'm doing and find where I need to focus more on.

Thanks for the review!

A couple of 'things' you might want to do since you haven't used it since last year. Check the firmware to make sure it's up to date. Also when you go into 'courses' on the app make sure they haven't been updated. Also we have a dedicated Shotscope thread going here - so if you run into a problem you could query the members. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

10 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

A couple of 'things' you might want to do since you haven't used it since last year. Check the firmware to make sure it's up to date. Also when you go into 'courses' on the app make sure they haven't been updated. Also we have a dedicated Shotscope thread going here - so if you run into a problem you could query the members. 

Yup, already updated it and charged it up.

The only issue I'll have is with putter. My SuperStroke grip doesn't have the ability to screw in the tag. I sent an inquiry to support already to see if they have a work-around.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!

1 hour ago, Shrek74 said:

Yup, already updated it and charged it up.

The only issue I'll have is with putter. My SuperStroke grip doesn't have the ability to screw in the tag. I sent an inquiry to support already to see if they have a work-around.

I assume you have a counterbalanced SS grip. As an alternative approach; I snipped off the screw portion of the sensor so just the nub remained and then superglued it to the weight. Note: I wouldn't recommend this if you're going to regrip shortly as that sensor is stuck on permanently. BTW in the pic below you'll see a felt spacer - since I play 150+ rounds a year it protects the sensor from being banged around in the cart. Some guys will use silicone discs. Generally I wear out the grip before the sensor. 

IMG_0237.jpg.5adfd0e011797cc52fdf2b6442cb0b6c.jpg

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

I assume you have a counterbalanced SS grip. As an alternative approach; I snipped off the screw portion of the sensor so just the nub remained and then superglued it to the weight. Note: I wouldn't recommend this if you're going to regrip shortly as that sensor is stuck on permanently. BTW in the pic below you'll see a felt spacer - since I play 150+ rounds a year it protects the sensor from being banged around in the cart. Some guys will use silicone discs. Generally I wear out the grip before the sensor. 

IMG_0237.jpg.5adfd0e011797cc52fdf2b6442cb0b6c.jpg

Thanks for the info and pic. I was hoping SS would have a good solve for this like Arccos does, but I guess not. I may need to look at doing what you did with some type of superglue.

I'll also have to look up how to track putting without a sensor until I determine what I want to do about this.

Putter:
Technology:

14 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Thanks for the info and pic. I was hoping SS would have a good solve for this like Arccos does, but I guess not. I may need to look at doing what you did with some type of superglue.

I'll also have to look up how to track putting without a sensor until I determine what I want to do about this.

I believe SS still has 'stick-on' putter sensors you can buy. Another approach is just to do the manual putting option. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

The tagging function of the H4 could be a big win if I can ever find someone to purchase my V3. The volume of missed shots was unacceptable and I just played another 9 hole round yesterday with 0 missed shots on my V2. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I am almost a year in to the H4. Absolutely love it.  Close enough to Arccos, less missed shots and no subscription. I do miss the club recommendations but otherwise I would not go with any other shot tracking service.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 60g 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 minute ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

I am almost a year in to the H4. Absolutely love it.  Close enough to Arccos, less missed shots and no subscription. I do miss the club recommendations but otherwise I would not go with any other shot tracking service.

I got a 1 week pro subscription to a GPS app on my iPhone, the wind values were significantly off compared to where I was playing. Not sure I would be very confident in some of the predictions. Would be interesting to see how accurate elevation changes are.  Not to mention if I am playing from rough and expecting no spin and rolling up onto green it is not going to be helpful. 

I looked at the Arccos dashboard a few years ago and Shot Scope provided more detailed information which is what I was looking for. It seems like tagging the hole location with your phone on Arccos is now better, but previously it seemed like it was very random and then threw off you short game stats. The accuracy using manual putting mode with SS is another big advantage to the quality of your approach and short game data IMO. The SS sensors are better in every way - smaller, lighter, no battery, and I've never broke one. The subscription is a no go for me with Arccos as well for what I consider to be an inferior product. 

The only benefit to Arccos IMO is it recommends specific areas to work on based on losing strokes for people that don't want to analyze the data. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I've used my Shot Scope H4 for over a year now.  It's provided me an insightful assessment of my game.  As for putting, I've used the manual technique as I also played a counterbalanced Super Stroke putter grip.  I've integrated it into my normal routine and using it now becomes almost automatic.  When I do miss shots, it's normally my fault for not tagging it.  Overall, I've found it to be a welcome addition to my golf arsenal.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

3 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

I've used my Shot Scope H4 for over a year now.  It's provided me an insightful assessment of my game.  As for putting, I've used the manual technique as I also played a counterbalanced Super Stroke putter grip.  I've integrated it into my normal routine and using it now becomes almost automatic.  When I do miss shots, it's normally my fault for not tagging it.  Overall, I've found it to be a welcome addition to my golf arsenal.  

Shot Scope has adhesive putter tags specifically for grips like the SuperStroke CB (like on the Kirkland Signature putter).  I haven't tried the manual mode, but as my putting has been improving and my short game getting weaker, maybe that will give me more accurate stats.

Driver - :PXG: GEN5 0311FX 9°+1.5° - ProjectX Cypher 40 5.5 trimmed to 44"
Wood - :PXG: GEN5 0311FX 4-wood flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5 
Hybrid - :PXG: 0211 22° flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5 
Irons🆕 4-PW New Level 480-DB with Nippon Steel Modus Tour 105 shafts 🆕 -- Currently in play test, follow along!
Wedges - :nickent-small: Genex GH Pro 54°, :cleveland-small: ZipGroove 58°
Putter - Wilson (pre Staff) Brass Tech BT-2 with :garsen: ULTIMATE grip
Balls - Kirkland yellow, or whatever I can pick up.  Prefer newer ('23) :titleist-small: V1x.
Distance/Tracking:ShotScope:  X5 Watch
Lugging:Clicgear: 4.0 in obnoxious green

RH player shooting ~105 in Portland, Oregon.  New to the game and improving every week!

• 5 months later...