Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Graphite iron reviews

Owengeorge13

10 hours ago, Billy Bob said:

I am making the switch to graphite now too. My iron heads have been breaking off lately (metal fatigue?). Might have about 700 rounds on them. I just had a fitting and will be going with Srixon 5 Mk II irons (6 thru AW) with Fujikura Vista Pro 60 R shafts. The shot data summary shows the 2 I narrowed down to are close to my current Callaway Apex CF16 irons. The fitter also recommended I try Prov1x balls to get a slightly higher spin rate.

The graphite shafts feel great. Same performance with less effort.

2023-12-02 19_18_14-Iron Report 2.jpg

2023-12-02 19_16_00-Iron Report 3.jpg

Love the data along with the comment.  Great stuff!  How many different irons did you try before focusing on the zx5’s?

Edited by Owengeorge13

🙃

58 minutes ago, Owengeorge13 said:

Love the data along with the comment.  Great stuff!  How many different irons did you try before focusing on the zx5’s?

Thanks for your comment. I think I tried about 6 iron heads across various Titleist, TM and Srixon brands, and about 4 different graphite shaft brands. I hit about 90 balls with my 7 iron in the fitting. The data does not lie when its not the right fit.

WITB - Left handed - all regular shafts

• Driver Stealth 2, Golfpride tour wrap with mid-size grip
  • 3 wood Nike Covert
  • 4 hybrid Taylor Made M6
  • 5 hybrid Callaway Epicflash
  • 6i-pw Callaway Apex cf16 forged
  • 50 degree Cleveland RTX zip core
  • 52 degree Kirkland
  • 54 degree TM Hi Toe
  • 58 degree Cleveland RTX
  • Putter Spider EX Super Stroke with Fatso 3.0 grip

I've been playing Recoil Stiff 460 shafts in my Cobra Speedzone irons for the last few years. I love the feel of them, but I hit the ball a lot higher with them than I did with steel. I would like to explore graphite shafts that offer a more penetrating ball flight, especially in my mid-irons.

IMG_6609.JPG.ff23b249b533b699d173a05f4446fd3c.JPG

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

• 2 months later...

Glad I found this thread. I'm thinking of switching to graphite after having some elbow and wrist pain after my last few rounds. A lot of good info, hoping to do a fitting soon. 

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

22 minutes ago, BreakfastBall15 said:

Glad I found this thread. I'm thinking of switching to graphite after having some elbow and wrist pain after my last few rounds. A lot of good info, hoping to do a fitting soon. 

I never would have gone with graphite, or the graphite I was fit into if I wasn’t fit by a brand agnostic fitter.  I was fit into a KBS TGI shaft.  I was able to hit around five graphite shafts before the data  pointed directly at that shaft.  I’m a big fan of truespec golf.  I think they did a really good job imo.  Keep us informed with how it goes!  Glad you joined the thread

Edited by Owengeorge13

🙃

6 minutes ago, Owengeorge13 said:

I never would have gone with graphite, or the graphite I was fit into if I wasn’t fit by a brand agnostic fitter.  I was fit into a KBS TGI shaft.  I was able to hit around five graphite shafts before the days pointed directly at that shaft.  I’m a big fan of truespec golf.  I think they did a really good job imo.  Keep us informed with how it goes!  Glad you joined the thread

The TGI are the ones I first looked at when looking at graphite. I did a fitting a year or so ago and hit the MMT and recoils and liked them but went with steel instead. Trying to not get set one one brand or another without a fitting or at least trying them out first.

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

9 minutes ago, BreakfastBall15 said:

The TGI are the ones I first looked at when looking at graphite. I did a fitting a year or so ago and hit the MMT and recoils and liked them but went with steel instead. Trying to not get set one one brand or another without a fitting or at least trying them out first.

I have heard great things about the axiom.  The other shaft that worked really well for me was a VA composites shaft called raijin.  I would love to hit a LA golf shaft sometime to see how it works.  I was fit into a LA putter shaft, and I love it.

🙃

On 3/4/2024 at 3:41 PM, GT1885 said:

Have I read somewhere that one of the Steelfiber models has a softer tip? 

Great question.  I really don’t know.  You should message steel fiber directly.  I’m sure they would help you out.  

🙃

On 3/4/2024 at 2:41 PM, GT1885 said:

Have I read somewhere that one of the Steelfiber models has a softer tip? 

Not sure if this answers your question, but the i80 has a torque value at 2.8* and the fc90 is at 2.9*. Doesn't necessarily mean the tip is "soft," but by the numbers from the other options these are at least a half degree higher in torque.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder