Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Graphite iron reviews

Owengeorge13

I’m hoping to get a thread going about graphite iron shafts.  Right now I have kbs tgi in my irons.  I got fit into them about 4 years ago.  I may get fit into new irons in the next couple years.  I’d like to hear from others that use graphite shafts in irons.  

🙃

This is an interesting thread for me to keep up with.  My winter project will be to hit 2nd swing multiple times to try out different graphite shafts for my irons.  And when I eventually decide there will probably be new or used iron heads attached to them...because well you know the economics usually works out in the favor of a complete club rather than just buying shafts and installing them!!  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I really like my KBS TGI shafts.  But I wouldn’t mind trying new shafts out.  I got fit at true spec golf.  Two years after getting my irons fit, I went for a wedge fitting.  After trying multiple combinations my wedge shafts ended up being KBS TGI as well…

I have worked on my swing and swing speed.  When I eventually get fit again it will be interesting to see if the shaft will change.  One thing is for certain I will be getting graphite irons shafts again.

🙃

Up till now, I've only played steel shafts in my irons and wedges. But that'll change next Spring. Due to elbow issues and the inevitable fact that other parts of my hands/arms will start to be less happy with steel, I'll be switching over to graphite. Luckily there are a lot more options these days, both from make/models and from weight that will help me find the right option for my swing. So this topic is near and dear to me at the moment. I'll be curious to hear about other people's experiences with various graphite shafts.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

When I got fit for my irons I remember trying a steel fiber shaft I really liked and an Accra shaft I thought was awesome.  I’m interested in trying a Va composites iron shaft (a friend of mine loves his) and the axiom shaft.  I have no idea if they would fit me.  This whole thread is just about experiences.  The fact of the matter is everyone should get fit at a reputable place. But I like hearing about options out in the wild…

🙃

Does MGS get contacted to give graphite/steel shaft reviews?  

I’ve searched for some graphite iron reviews.  I can’t seem to find any.  I’m probably looking in the wrong place.

Edited by Owengeorge13

🙃

15 minutes ago, Owengeorge13 said:

Does MGS get contacted to give graphite/steel shaft reviews?  

I’ve searched for some graphite iron reviews.  I can’t seem to find any.  I’m probably looking in the wrong place.

Occasionally, but they typically focus more on clubs themselves.   Some of the irons during most wanted testing will be provided with stock graphite offerings.   Just like with steel it is about finding the right profile for your swing.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If you're looking for reviews don't focus on clubs but search shafts. Tons of comparisons out there whether it be video or article. 

Most cases it's a feel thing versus a performance thing. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have been a decades long Rifle and Project X iron shaft golfer. Until a year ago, I found nothing better for accuracy and low dispersion than my 6.0 Project X iron shafts. I did try several other highly rated iron graphite shafts along the way.

I experienced some downsides to these Project X shafts. I experienced tendinitis in my left elbow on occasion. I also experienced hand pain on occasion. These pains would occur after hitting 50 to 100 balls on the range while practising.

I switched to the Accra graphite TZi iron shafts this year. They are wonderful shafts. They feel stable and offer much greater vibration dampening than my old steel shafts, without sacrificing accuracy and dispersion. My hand pain and elbow pain disappeared.

16 minutes ago, Peter Andrin said:

I have been a decades long Rifle and Project X iron shaft golfer. Until a year ago, I found nothing better for accuracy and low dispersion than my 6.0 Project X iron shafts. I did try several other highly rated iron graphite shafts along the way.

I experienced some downsides to these Project X shafts. I experienced tendinitis in my left elbow on occasion. I also experienced hand pain on occasion. These pains would occur after hitting 50 to 100 balls on the range while practising.

I switched to the Accra graphite TZi iron shafts this year. They are wonderful shafts. They feel stable and offer much greater vibration dampening than my old steel shafts, without sacrificing accuracy and dispersion. My hand pain and elbow pain disappeared.

I believe those are another graphite iron shaft i had tried.  I really liked those.  Great add on the thread!  Did you try anything else for iron graphite shafts before you chose the Accra?

I just looked up Accra iron shafts, you can now design your own color ways on them.  I like that.

Edited by Owengeorge13

🙃

I’ve had or tried just about every shaft mentioned in this thread except the Axiom.  

Currently I have Steelfiber in my T350 and Recoil Dart in my Wilson Staff CB.   My previous 2 sets have been Steelfiber.  But I’m really loving the Recoil Dart. 

Enough so, that I’m seriously considering sending my T350 in to have the Darts put in them.   

But as you said. It’s best to go to a fitter like True Spec—-love them—and get fit by a pro. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 11/17/2023 at 8:22 AM, Owengeorge13 said:

I’m hoping to get a thread going about graphite iron shafts.  Right now I have kbs tgi in my irons.  I got fit into them about 4 years ago.  I may get fit into new irons in the next couple years.  I’d like to hear from others that use graphite shafts in irons.  

I would definitely try the Steel Fiber.  I've had the 110 CW shafts in mine and couldn't speak more highly of them!

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

... All golf equipment is subjective based on individuals traits including feel. But there is little doubt todays graphite iron shafts are superior to steel in performance while the dampening properties are easier on joints, muscles and tendons. I have played many over the years and settled on Steelfiber for the best combination of feel and performance. It wasn't easy as Stiff flex should have fit me perfectly but felt too stout. After talking with the Head of Engineering for Steelfiber I tried a Regular flex and magic happened. I like Recoil shafts but for me they are a little too dampened (Prototypes are better feeling imo) while the KBS TGi's were too stout/brittle feeling. The Steelfibers are just right. I am very tempted top try the new Recoil Dart V but thankfully they are expensive and difficult to find, other than through a TSPX Dealer. 

... These are a few of the graphite iron shafts I own and have played:

GraphiteIronShafts.JPG.4c5a28c2a99cdc0765042b3019ec1668.JPG

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

17 hours ago, BNewton51 said:

I would definitely try the Steel Fiber.  I've had the 110 CW shafts in mine and couldn't speak more highly of them!

I have been a fan of the SteelFiber shafts, and I even did some seminars for Aerotech at the PGA Shows in the earlier 2000s to 2010s.  I’m still very sad about the untimely death of Chris Hilleary, founder of Aerotech, and CEO / Chief Designer of the SteelFiber shafts and the sale of his company to True Temper a couple of years ago (he was a great friend of mine).

I see that you are in Middletown, PA — is that the Dauphin County or the Bucks County, PA Middletown?  I actually live in Middletown, Bucks County, but my wife is from the Harrisburg area and was in Central PA’s Middletown on Saturday.  We’ll be back out there for Thanksgiving.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

40 minutes ago, chisag said:

... All golf equipment is subjective based on individuals traits including feel. But there is little doubt todays graphite iron shafts are superior to steel in performance while the dampening properties are easier on joints, muscles and tendons. I have played many over the years and settled on Steelfiber for the best combination of feel and performance. It wasn't easy as Stiff flex should have fit me perfectly but felt too stout. After talking with the Head of Engineering for Steelfiber I tried a Regular flex and magic happened. I like Recoil shafts but for me they are a little too dampened (Prototypes are better feeling imo) while the KBS TGi's were too stout/brittle feeling. The Steelfibers are just right. I am very tempted top try the new Recoil Dart V but thankfully they are expensive and difficult to find, other than through a TSPX Dealer. 

I have played each of those shafts (in each of those weights, plus several other weights), with the exception of the Aldila VS Proto shaft models.  For me, the KBS TGI shafts feel and perform the best, especially in the 80 to 110 gram weights, followed closely by the SteelFiber 95s (Regular flex for me in these shafts, or a slightly tipped or hard-stepped R-flex at the stiffest, with heavier SteelFibers in my wedges, just like the heavier KBS TGI shafts that I use in wedges).

I’ve never been a fan of standard Recoil shafts, or the Recoil Darts, although I always liked the stiffer and lower-torque Recoil Prototypes.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

35 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

For me, the KBS TGI shafts feel and perform the best, especially in the 80 to 110 gram weights, followed closely by the SteelFiber 95s

... Nice, exactly why I said it is so personal. I have seen several sets of the TGi's on the LPGA Tour as well, just many more Steelfibers. I did think performance of the TGi 85 was very similar to my Steelfiber i80's, just a different feel. 

I love my TGI’s, I would love to do another brand agnostic fitting and see where I end up.  My local golf shop has a sent of mizuno 921 forged irons with my KBS TGI shafts 4-G (special order returned).  Last week I was there saw them, everything but the 7 still in plastic.  I thought it would be a great opportunity to get a second set of irons.  I saw the number 658 on the side…thinking that was the price I brought them up to the cash register.  658 was the item number…not the price! (it might not have been exactly 658, but around there).  The irons cost was just below 1300.  Pretty surprised that 3 or 4 year old irons, even after the 923’s came out were still demanding that price tag…I’ll have to keep an eye on them.

🙃

Wanted to give another vote here for the steelfiber shafts. I have them on my irons and they are my first graphite iron shaft. During a fitting I tried this and the ust mamiya and the mamiya just didn’t feel right for me. The steelfibers feel a bit stiffer than what it says so I got them in a R flex and it’s been great. I don’t swing my irons that fast (7i=140y). 

have not tried any other iron shafts as my current rabbit hole is on putters 🤣

rx1232

On 11/20/2023 at 1:11 PM, funkyjudge said:

I have been a fan of the SteelFiber shafts, and I even did some seminars for Aerotech at the PGA Shows in the earlier 2000s to 2010s.  I’m still very sad about the untimely death of Chris Hilleary, founder of Aerotech, and CEO / Chief Designer of the SteelFiber shafts and the sale of his company to True Temper a couple of years ago (he was a great friend of mine).

I see that you are in Middletown, PA — is that the Dauphin County or the Bucks County, PA Middletown?  I actually live in Middletown, Bucks County, but my wife is from the Harrisburg area and was in Central PA’s Middletown on Saturday.  We’ll be back out there for Thanksgiving.

That's awesome!  I live in Dauphin county.  There seems to be quite a few Middletowns here in PA.  Now, if we can only get both to be a bit warmer to golf in, that would be a win.  Though, we're sick enough that we still go out no matter the temp like a bunch of eskimos. 

Yea, I tried the Steel Fibers about a year year and a half ago.  Not sure I could go back.  Great shafts that provide you the steel feel, great spin numbers, launch angles that are consistent and ultimately let you play any shot you want unlike the older graphites we used to be afforded.  I've had some elbow issues and this has eliminated that in full!!  Awesome you did that.  Makes sense your a big fan then.  I sing their praises to everyone. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

On 11/20/2023 at 11:33 AM, chisag said:

What did you think about the Prototypes? I have a full set of 125 F4's 4-LW new that I haven't decided what to do with. Curious to your thoughts on the 95's and how they felt for you.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g

57 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

What did you think about the Prototypes? I have a full set of 125 F4's 4-LW new that I haven't decided what to do with. Curious to your thoughts on the 95's and how they felt for you.

... Obviously feel is subjective and how you swing has a lot to do with that feel. With a smooth swing and transition, the Prototype 95's have a firmer tip than the standard Recoil 95s so they feel just a little tighter and I found them to be a little more accurate than the standard 95's. When I go from my Steelfibers to Recoil 95's the difference in feel is pretty obvious and whether it is true or not, they all feel less accurate. But when I play my Z Forged MB's with the Prototype 95's there is a slight difference in the dampening feel but the overall feel is pretty much the same. Performance and accuracy are very similar. Playing the King Tours that came with Recoil 95's I was happy to re-shaft them with Steelfibers. I don't have that feeling with the Prototype 95s and I could play them full time if needed. Hope that helps. 

38 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Obviously feel is subjective and how you swing has a lot to do with that feel. With a smooth swing and transition, the Prototype 95's have a firmer tip than the standard Recoil 95s so they feel just a little tighter and I found them to be a little more accurate than the standard 95's. When I go from my Steelfibers to Recoil 95's the difference in feel is pretty obvious and whether it is true or not, they all feel less accurate. But when I play my Z Forged MB's with the Prototype 95's there is a slight difference in the dampening feel but the overall feel is pretty much the same. Performance and accuracy are very similar. Playing the King Tours that came with Recoil 95's I was happy to re-shaft them with Steelfibers. I don't have that feeling with the Prototype 95s and I could play them full time if needed. Hope that helps. 

Yes, thank you for your thoughts. They are very helpful.

I was planning on selling the shafts, but I may keep them and find something to build them with. I need to get a few other items sold so I have the $$ to grab some other heads (looking at you JPX921 Forged).

I am making the switch to graphite now too. My iron heads have been breaking off lately (metal fatigue?). Might have about 700 rounds on them. I just had a fitting and will be going with Srixon 5 Mk II irons (6 thru AW) with Fujikura Vista Pro 60 R shafts. The shot data summary shows the 2 I narrowed down to are close to my current Callaway Apex CF16 irons. The fitter also recommended I try Prov1x balls to get a slightly higher spin rate.

The graphite shafts feel great. Same performance with less effort.

2023-12-02 19_18_14-Iron Report 2.jpg

2023-12-02 19_16_00-Iron Report 3.jpg

WITB - Left handed - all regular shafts

• Driver Stealth 2, Golfpride tour wrap with mid-size grip
  • 3 wood Nike Covert
  • 4 hybrid Taylor Made M6
  • 5 hybrid Callaway Epicflash
  • 6i-pw Callaway Apex cf16 forged
  • 50 degree Cleveland RTX zip core
  • 52 degree Kirkland
  • 54 degree TM Hi Toe
  • 58 degree Cleveland RTX