I love my blades, but...

z1ggy16

TLDR - I have blades with Axiom 125 shafts. 5i doesn't fly high enough but all other clubs do. Best options?

I have PXG 0211 ST blades with Axiom 125 shafts. I really like this set up but I have a similar problem to the other poster with the t100/t200 combo set. I don't like the 5i very much and the 4i doesn't serve me much bc it gets too close to my 7w. I'll get a 5w next year but I still don't even see myself wanting a 4i blade. 

My biggest issue is the 5i flies significantly lower than I'd like and rolls out too much. I do not have monitor data but the flight looks to be very low launch and adequate spin. I'll make big ol pitch marks on greens but it'll run out off the green. 4i I stopped carrying, I'll just hit a choke up 7w. 

Should I consider increasing the loft? Issue is, its a 200 carry and the 6i is 185 - if I weaken it now my gap to 6i is a bit too small and the gap to 7w (220) gets a little too big. I also wonder if the 5i shaft is just a bit too heavy at roughly 125g... But having a random lighter steel shaft like modus 105x will bug me. I also don't know if a shaft will change launch enough to make a big difference anyway. I need to gain at least 20, maybe even 25ft to peak height.

Then there's the option of a new club head, such as a t200 and weaken. They go pretty high but I find like the other poster, they have seriously low spin. 

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

@Ben Joest may be who you are thinking of...he tested a T150 / T200 mixed set.  Check the T iron series review thread, the last page. 

Edited by Shapotomous
include link

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

8 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

@Ben Joest may be who you are thinking of...he tested a T150 / T200 mixed set.  Check the T iron series review thread, the last page. 

I have a t150/t200 combo set actually haha. I used it for like 3 rounds but I didn't see any real noticeable improvement to my approach sg18 in Arccos. Maybe I need closer to 10 rounds to see differences... But I found the t200 5i absolutely nuclear, I was hitting it out to 215-220 and my guess is that the spin was very low, I'd probably be better off in a t150 5i but I'd be interested in a weak t200 if I had the ability to test. 

Really wish Fuji would have launched a 115g set too... The jump from 125 to 105 seems too extreme but I have a 105x in a driving iron that I'll use from time to time and it doesn't feel light. 

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

5 minutes ago, z1ggy16 said:

I have a t150/t200 combo set actually haha. I used it for like 3 rounds but I didn't see any real noticeable improvement to my approach sg18 in Arccos. Maybe I need closer to 10 rounds to see differences... But I found the t200 5i absolutely nuclear, I was hitting it out to 215-220 and my guess is that the spin was very low, I'd probably be better off in a t150 5i but I'd be interested in a weak t200 if I had the ability to test. 

Really wish Fuji would have launched a 115g set too... The jump from 125 to 105 seems too extreme but I have a 105x in a driving iron that I'll use from time to time and it doesn't feel light. 

Just curious....what shafts do you have in your T150 / T200 set?

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

18 hours ago, z1ggy16 said:

My biggest issue is the 5i flies significantly lower than I'd like and rolls out too much. I do not have monitor data but the flight looks to be very low launch and adequate spin. I'll make big ol pitch marks on greens but it'll run out off the green. 

Should I consider increasing the loft? Issue is, its a 200 carry and the 6i is 185 - if I weaken it now my gap to 6i is a bit too small and the gap to 7w (220) gets a little too big. I also wonder if the 5i shaft is just a bit too heavy at roughly 125g...

Sounds like you have a dilemma especially since based on your description the 5 iron is carrying the distance it needs to carry.   As you mentioned adjusting loft will probably create bad gapping.   

The 5/6 iron might be where you ability to hit an iron well stops and you should consider another fairway wood to fill the gap and give you the height you want and a bit more stopping power.    I don't think shaft will do much to change your results;  but won't know unless you get on a launch monitor or start experimenting and do some comparisons.     

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Sounds like you have a dilemma especially since based on your description the 5 iron is carrying the distance it needs to carry.   As you mentioned adjusting loft will probably create bad gapping.   

The 5/6 iron might be where you ability to hit an iron well stops and you should consider another fairway wood to fill the gap and give you the height you want and a bit more stopping power.    I don't think shaft will do much to change your results;  but won't know unless you get on a launch monitor or start experimenting and do some comparisons.     

What's weird is even when I feel like I hit the 5i well, it still seems to not fly high enough. It's not like I'm "slow", a 200 yard 5i is probably right around Tour average, maybe a little shorter. I should have enough speed to get a iron with that loft up higher. 

My gut is telling me to go with something like a T200 or even p790 but go a little weak to help add more spin, then grab a 4h (ditch 7w) and 5w.

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

1 minute ago, z1ggy16 said:

What's weird is even when I feel like I hit the 5i well, it still seems to not fly high enough. It's not like I'm "slow", a 200 yard 5i is probably right around Tour average, maybe a little shorter. I should have enough speed to get a iron with that loft up higher. 

My gut is telling me to go with something like a T200 or even p790 but go a little weak to help add more spin, then grab a 4h (ditch 7w) and 5w.

Maybe you deloft the club too much which is why you don't get the height you think you should.  It isn't just about speed; delivery is probably more important.   

While I haven't hit your specific irons,  PGX is generally a lower launch and spin type of OEM that focusses on distance.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Maybe you deloft the club too much which is why you don't get the height you think you should.  It isn't just about speed; delivery is probably more important.   

While I haven't hit your specific irons,  PGX is generally a lower launch and spin type of OEM that focusses on distance.   

Yeah I'm not sure, I'm not super stuck on data/numbers with clubs. I know it's important but if it looks, feels good and the flight looks right then I'm happy. 

I think the lofts are maybe 1* strong? Anyway, I'll prob try a players distance style iron and weaken as needed. I do think your right about deloft though, I've always had a lower ball flight and had to work on swing changes to help add a little more dynamic loft. 

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

it looks like the std loft for the 4 iron is 22.5*. If the irons are bent strong 1* your 4 iron is more like a 3 iron. If your carry is 200 with it on a good strike, you are just not creating enough speed and energy with the setup you have. Strong lofts, graphite shafts, and blades, to me, just don't mix well. 

1. Maybe consider a hybrid?

14 of the following:

Taylormade Qi10 Max

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 26 degrees

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping G430 irons 6-50 degree

Sub 70 286 wedges 52 and 56 degrees

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS