Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

The Villages vs Sarasota vs Naples

I am beginning to research a move to Florida and so far I've narrowed it down to the Villages, Sarasota, and Naples.  I am a senior and will be retiring in a few years. I would prefer to live in a golf community or at least have easy access to golf. I am flexible but would like reasonable costs and access as I envision playing often.  Fun, active communities are preferred over stuffy clubs. Does anyone have any advice on these areas?

What I’ve heard about Villages is you need the right color loofah.

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

I can only speak to Naples - its great. I visit 2-3x per year as I have family there. Lots of options if you want to join a club. Just know the type of course you want; the options run the gamut in terms of price range and course. 

I’ve heard that the “old money” Naples crowd is fading away (insert your own joke), and that a younger crowd is starting to move in. That’s a good sign to me 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

• 4 weeks later...

Spent January 2024 in The Villages (TV). Executive courses are just OK for tune-ups but not much more. Championship courses were better, probably B graded against other public courses with $85 fees for non-owners. Lopex & Palmer courses are a step above.. Courses outside TV offer better value ($50-ish)  with Continental and Pennbrooke having notably better greens in January. Group Golfer has some seriously cheap offers, but those we tried all disappointed, even though they were cheap. Life is too short for crappy golf.

Have you checked out Citrus Hills in Hernando, FL ?  It’s a smaller but very nice community with some great amenities.  Golf courses, Spa, Workout and Activity center.... a new resort style pool is being built as well.  There homes (new and resales) as well as condos and some duplex properties in the community.  There are also Maintenance Free properties within a gated section of the community where all outdoor maintenance is on a scheduled and rotating basis (lawn maintenance, outdoor painting and roof cleanings (the gated section has tile roofs).

Citrus Hills is about  40 minutes west of The Villages.  There are 4 golf courses in the community and many additional tracks in the surrounding area. Of the 4 courses in the community, one is their signature course - SkyView, which is always kept immaculate (in my experience).  To be honest, the other two 18 hole courses were a little rough last year but have been in MUCH better shape as of late and more effort is being put into them.  The 4th course is 9 hole track that I find to be fun and fairly challenging as well.  Citrus Hills is only about 30 minutes from newly opened Cabot Citrus Farms (Formerly World Woods) which is spectacular.  Twisted Oaks as well as some other very nice courses are within 10-20 miles.

If you enjoy kayaking and boating, Crystal River is 20 minutes away with numerous opportunities... they don't call that area The Nature Coast for nothing.  The area is also a haven for manatees.... which are a hoot to watch.

I’d say it’s worth a look.  It is a “quieter” community than The Villages, but the area is growing.

Edited by KidWiff
additional info added