Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Snell MTB Prime X in depth review. Great performance but unplayable durability.

Snell Golf should be ashamed…but proud. RTB Prime X in depth review.

I cracked this ball on my 5th wedge shot under 100 yards during warm up. Average swing speeds with 60 degree 80-84 and Average 3 hybrid 94-99. 

Typically I play a pro v or avx, but I have a Maine mountain and seacoast golf trip coming up in May; 6 days, 6 courses and 7 total rounds. The weather might be ripping and I’m going to lose/ beat up some balls (16 handicap going into this season). Belgrade Lakes rocks could eat a dozen alone if you’re not accurate.  Figure I realistically need 1.5-2.5 dozen, so I’m bringing 6 😂

I bought 10 cases of Snell Golf MTB Prime X for $200 at end of the year sale, an unbeatable deal and I’ve been wanting to try them. Figure I can use them as beaters if they suck and be supplied for the season if they’re good. Ive read great things about performance…and a few about durability. These balls feel exceptional in my opinion. Feel so so soft on full shots and still really solid on short handsy shots. In a perfect world I’d have this feel from 180 yards and firmer pro v feel when you need to get nippy from 40 yards over a bunker into a downslope. 

Tonight I took the Snells to the indoor club I am  playing at this winter (trackman). I always warm up on a par 3 with 2 pins at 80 and 95 yards.  Tonight I brought a couple sleeves of Snells for testing. These are perfect distances for full warm up shots on my 54 and 60. I generate solid spin and cut at the ball pretty hard, but have never damaged a ball. I checked the Shell ball after each swing and after swing 1 the outer layer had some indentation.  Enough so that if I was not a somewhat bad golfer or was playing in a tournament I would change ball. I took 4 more swings all with the same result until I found a large crack on swing 5 and changed balls to finish my warmup. 

After my warmup I put a new snell back in play for some driver, hybrid and long irons shots. The ball once again felt exceptional and performed nearly identical to my preferred AVX. Launched a little higher and a little spinier, but marginal. While the ball held up better it still took a ton of damage relative to what I’ve experienced before. 

I have uploaded a few pictures of 2 snell balls after 5 wedge shots and a few iron/ hybrid shots. The balls did not seem to take damage on driver. I have also uploaded a shot of a Titleist AVX that has taken over 300 shots for comparison. I take roughly 500-600 full shots a week currently since November and have gamed 9 AVX the entire time. I have only had to retire one ball for chips/dents. I feel like I would go through 6 Snell balls a round on grass just from damage. A sand shot will scuff these. 

Excellent performing ball with atrocious durability. A lot to be proud of, but also a lot of work to do. Hopefully the new 2024 offerings address the one major issue of outer case durability.

2 hours ago, Shepardspi said:

I cracked this ball on my 5th wedge shot under 100 yards during warm up. Average swing speeds with 60 degree 80-84 and Average 3 hybrid 94-99. 

Typically I play a pro v or avx, but I have a Maine mountain and seacoast golf trip coming up in May; 6 days, 6 courses and 7 total rounds. The weather might be ripping and I’m going to lose/ beat up some balls (16 handicap going into this season). Belgrade Lakes rocks could eat a dozen alone if you’re not accurate.  Figure I realistically need 1.5-2.5 dozen, so I’m bringing 6 😂

I bought 10 cases of Snell Golf MTB Prime X for $200 at end of the year sale, an unbeatable deal and I’ve been wanting to try them. Figure I can use them as beaters if they suck and be supplied for the season if they’re good. Ive read great things about performance…and a few about durability. These balls feel exceptional in my opinion. Feel so so soft on full shots and still really solid on short handsy shots. In a perfect world I’d have this feel from 180 yards and firmer pro v feel when you need to get nippy from 40 yards over a bunker into a downslope. 

Tonight I took the Snells to the indoor club I am  playing at this winter (trackman). I always warm up on a par 3 with 2 pins at 80 and 95 yards.  Tonight I brought a couple sleeves of Snells for testing. These are perfect distances for full warm up shots on my 54 and 60. I generate solid spin and cut at the ball pretty hard, but have never damaged a ball. I checked the Shell ball after each swing and after swing 1 the outer layer had some indentation.  Enough so that if I was not a somewhat bad golfer or was playing in a tournament I would change ball. I took 4 more swings all with the same result until I found a large crack on swing 5 and changed balls to finish my warmup. 

After my warmup I put a new snell back in play for some driver, hybrid and long irons shots. The ball once again felt exceptional and performed nearly identical to my preferred AVX. Launched a little higher and a little spinier, but marginal. While the ball held up better it still took a ton of damage relative to what I’ve experienced before. 

I have uploaded a few pictures of 2 snell balls after 5 wedge shots and a few iron/ hybrid shots. The balls did not seem to take damage on driver. I have also uploaded a shot of a Titleist AVX that has taken over 300 shots for comparison. I take roughly 500-600 full shots a week currently since November and have gamed 9 AVX the entire time. I have only had to retire one ball for chips/dents. I feel like I would go through 6 Snell balls a round on grass just from damage. A sand shot will scuff these. 

Excellent performing ball with atrocious durability. A lot to be proud of, but also a lot of work to do. Hopefully the new 2024 offerings address the one major issue of outer case durability.

Good recap - do you have a few photos you can share? Would love to see what it's like after a round or a before and after type deal.

Do you think they just need a firmer outside or would that effect the performance too much?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

11 hours ago, Shepardspi said:

You were hitting into a screen on a SIM when that ball cracked, correct? This happens frequently when there is a wall (especially a concrete or cinder block wall) behind the screen. I have had flat spots and large cracks develop on Titleist Pro V1x balls from hitting into sim screens, but never on a Snell ball.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

13 hours ago, Shepardspi said:

Nice write-up! If you have photos to share, that would be great! 

I purchased 3 dozen Snell MTB Prime X during the MGS collab sale. So I'll be giving some a test run once the weather warms up and I can get to a course consistently. I'll be sure to add my thoughts to this thread also!

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

2 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

You were hitting into a screen on a SIM when that ball cracked, correct? This happens frequently when there is a wall (especially a concrete or cinder block wall) behind the screen. I have had flat spots and large cracks develop on Titleist Pro V1x balls from hitting into sim screens, but never on a Snell ball.

I was hitting on a sim but there is no wall behind it or anything hard. it is on a professional trackman sim at a club. 

40 minutes ago, jbern said:

Nice write-up! If you have photos to share, that would be great! 

I purchased 3 dozen Snell MTB Prime X during the MGS collab sale. So I'll be giving some a test run once the weather warms up and I can get to a course consistently. I'll be sure to add my thoughts to this thread also!

IMG_3709.jpeg

IMG_3711.jpeg

IMG_3710.jpeg

14 hours ago, Shepardspi said:

Few photos of Snell ball after 5 swings and a couple comparison photo of Titleist AVX after 300+ swings. 

IMG_3709.jpeg

IMG_3711.jpeg

IMG_3710.jpeg

IMG_3714.jpeg

IMG_3715.jpeg

11 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Good recap - do you have a few photos you can share? Would love to see what it's like after a round or a before and after type deal.

Do you think they just need a firmer outside or would that effect the performance too much?

I think the ball would easily compete with other top balls if the outer shell was durable. If I can’t play at least a full round with one ball cause damage it doesn’t really fly. I’d spend more on balls from damage than I would if I just hit my normal couple Titleist into the lake.

I also bought two dozen of these, and I took them to hit on a sim. Just a net, no wall behind them. I noticed the wedge shots put a little fuzz on the ball but no marks or damage from irons or woods. I am hoping they hold up a bit better than @Shepardspi showed when I take them to the course. If not save them for my bad days or a course with a ton of water.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

18 minutes ago, Shepardspi said:

Few photos of Snell ball after 5 swings and a couple comparison photo of Titleist AVX after 300+ swings. 

IMG_3709.jpeg

IMG_3711.jpeg

IMG_3710.jpeg

IMG_3714.jpeg

IMG_3715.jpeg

I have seen cracks MUCH larger than that in ProV1x and ProV1x left dash balls which had been hit only a few times into the screen on my local SIM*.

In fairness, I have also seen similar damage to smell, OnCore, and Maxfli balls, but no big cracks in these brands’ balls.

* I also had two Titleist balls split in half when hitting into the SIM screen with a cinder block wall behind that screen.

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, Shepardspi said:

I was hitting on a sim but there is no wall behind it or anything hard. it is on a professional trackman sim at a club. 

There has to be a wall or backstop of some sort behind the screen or the screen would just flop around.  Even in stores such as Golf Galaxy, Dick’s, PGA Tour Superstores, etc there are always hard surfaces (e.g. walls) behind the screens. I have seen dozens (possibly scores) of cracked balls in the local Golf Galaxy store, and at an indoor golf venue about 18 miles away from me where they have the Trackman system.

My point is that ANY brand of golf ball will crack when hit enough times into a SIM screen. I have seen this happen with Titleist, Srixon, Bridgestone, Callaway, OnCore, Maxfli,  and YES, ALSO SNELL, balls. However, there is no way that a Snell (or any other) golf ball should crack like that after only 5 hits! However, I have had it happen to two ProV1x left dash balls the first time I used them (I called Titleist and sent one of those balls back to them and never heard back. This is the other one (it was hit just once!):

image.jpg

Spoiler

Incidentally, I have been playing in two indoor SIM leagues for 7 or 8 years, and I have never seen one golf ball last anywhere near 300 hits. The owner of the one place where I play on the SIM  (a PGA Professional) tells all of us who play there to change golf balls at least once a month or after about 4 or 5 nine hole rounds on the SIM.

20 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:
Edited by funkyjudge

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

There has to be a wall or backstop of some sort behind the screen or the screen would just flop around.  Even in stores such as Golf Galaxy, Dick’s, PGA Tour Superstores, etc there are always hard surfaces (e.g. walls) behind the screens. I have seen dozens (possibly scores) of cracked balls in the local Golf Galaxy store, and at an indoor golf venue about 18 miles away from me where they have the Trackman system.

My point is that ANY brand of golf ball will crack when hit enough times into a SIM screen. I have seen this happen with Titleist, Srixon, Bridgestone, Callaway, OnCore, Maxfli,  and YES, ALSO SNELL, balls. However, there is no way that a Snell (or any other) golf ball should crack like that after only 5 hits! However, I have had it happen to two ProV1x left dash balls the first time I used them (I called Titleist and sent one of those balls back to them and never heard back. This is the other one (it was hit just once!):

image.jpg

Fair enough I'm sure there is a wall somewhere behind it but the balls can't make contact with it. The impact screen is anchored and the some kind of heavier mat/ screen behind the main one to deaden the impact. My point more that the balls do not contact anything beyond screen that would crack them. 

I have damaged plant of others types of golf balls in my life but never a new one like the Snells. Also no hate for Snell, I think the product would be superb if it weren't for this. Maybe the other 117 balls I have will hold up better especially on grass, the feel is wonderful.

9 minutes ago, Shepardspi said:

Fair enough I'm sure there is a wall somewhere behind it but the balls can't make contact with it. The impact screen is anchored and the some kind of heavier mat/ screen behind the main one to deaden the impact. My point more that the balls do not contact anything beyond screen that would crack them. 

I have damaged plant of others types of golf balls in my life but never a new one like the Snells. Also no hate for Snell, I think the product would be superb if it weren't for this. Maybe the other 117 balls I have will hold up better especially on grass, the feel is wonderful.

I hope so!

Spoiler

my brother loves snells, but has nowhere near your swing speed, been playing them for years with no adverse effects.

:titleist-small: TSR2 driver 10

:cobra-small:Cobra ltd fairways 3 and 7

:cobra-small:Cobra forged tec irons 5-P

:callaway-small:Callaway wedges 54 and 58

:taylormade-small:TaylorMade del monte 7 face balanced putter

I have played a couple outdoor 9 hole rounds this winter with snells i bought in december.  These were not the batch they advertised with the quality warning for high speed players. 

Temps were in the 40's although these balls were kept inside prior to playing and i rotated through 3 balls that were in my pocket with a hand warmer.  

I noticed a small round spot that looked like the paint separated at a few dimple edges on 2 of the 3.  This was on clean driver hits that landed in the fairway.  My driver ss tops out this time of year at about 98.  It wasnt on every drive or all over the balls, just one spot.  

It was enough that i would take it out of play if it wasnt a mid winter round just to keep my swing familiar.

I wondered if this was the issue they had with the bad batch of balls they discounted.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I just cracked another ball on the HD Golf SIM last night (it started with some significant abrasion on the cover this time). This was a 2023 Maxfli Tour ball (not an X or a S, just the standard Maxfli Tour). This was only the 3rd or 4th 9-hole round, plus a couple of 20-30 minute practice sessions where I used this ball, and I ALWAYS alternate between two balls when I play on the SIM.

First time I have ever seen this type of damage to a Maxfli Tour ball (any version and any year’s model).

Edited by funkyjudge

Spoiler

I'm going to give Snell a pass for this first iteration of MTB Prime golf balls.  Having to find new manufacturing capability (multiple sources so they don't get caught again), changing design and materials all while bring a get their new balls to market during COVID is definitely a challenge.  During my 2023 search for my new golf ball, I tried the first lot of MTB Prime balls.  From playing these balls for several months, I liked the overall performance (driver distance, feel around the green, etc.).  As a 14 handicap, one of my last rounds in the 70's was using the MTB Prime ball.  Like many however, I saw some cover durability issues.  Here are a OnCore and Snell MTB ball with roughly the same number of rounds on them. 

I think these have about four rounds on each.  My driver clubhead speed is in the mid 70's, I'm pretty straight and tend not to lose too many golf balls.  So, I'll get 4-6 rounds with a single ball (I tend to ride a ball until I lose it or it's given it's all and is ready to be removed from play).

IMG_4695.JPG.09765ab1532fc0576b5e2c4a2e332c9a.JPG

Given Snell's quality past, I have to trust that they have isolated the source for the cover durability issues in the first batch and put steps in place to ensure it doesn't happen again.  It will be a while before I get through the three dozen I purchased this past fall (even with the durability issues) and look forward to buying the upcoming 2024 versions to test out.

Edited by Golf2Much
Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4