TPT Golf Shafts - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Want to follow our testers posts and progress? Click on their main post links below!
@William P - Main Post 

@Hoyoymac - Main Post 

@RoverRick - Main Post 

@ZackS - Main Post

18 minutes ago, Hoyoymac said:

Had a very good round of golf today at the Tagalong Golf Club in Birchwood, WI playing with my wife and a couple of her cousins.

I played the blue tees and everyone else played up. Slope and rating 70.7/123 par 71.

Shot even par on both the front and back.  4 birdies, 2 bogeys, 1 double and the rest pars.

Drove the ball particularly well.  The TPT Golf Power Range 18 LO shaft continues to deliver for me.

Several holes required less than driver due to dog legs and the 4 wood with the Power Range 17 HI shaft was dynamite.

The hybrid with the 17 LO shaft was also strong on a few holes where I needed it.

I’ve never had three shafts from the same company that could perform like these do.

My EBay shaft purchases have stopped.  The TPT shafts have caused me to stop my shaft Hoing ways.  

Although I am now contemplating a TPT shaft for my 7 wood to complete the top of my bag.

Nice round Jordy!

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

1 hour ago, Hoyoymac said:

Had a very good round of golf today at the Tagalong Golf Club in Birchwood, WI playing with my wife and a couple of her cousins.

I played the blue tees and everyone else played up. Slope and rating 70.7/123 par 71.

Shot even par on both the front and back.  4 birdies, 2 bogeys, 1 double and the rest pars.

Drove the ball particularly well.  The TPT Golf Power Range 18 LO shaft continues to deliver for me.

Several holes required less than driver due to dog legs and the 4 wood with the Power Range 17 HI shaft was dynamite.

The hybrid with the 17 LO shaft was also strong on a few holes where I needed it.

I’ve never had three shafts from the same company that could perform like these do.

My EBay shaft purchases have stopped.  The TPT shafts have caused me to stop my shaft Hoing ways.  

Although I am now contemplating a TPT shaft for my 7 wood to complete the top of my bag.

@Hoyoymac, how long are you in Wisconsin for?! I’m unfortunately about three hours from Birchwood, but TONS of great courses up in Northern WI!

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 60S

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

54 minutes ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

@Hoyoymac, how long are you in Wisconsin for?! I’m unfortunately about three hours from Birchwood, but TONS of great courses up in Northern WI!

Here at my lake place near Hayward until July 20th.  I might be able to meet you half way if you are interested in playing a round of golf

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

8 hours ago, Hoyoymac said:

Here at my lake place near Hayward until July 20th.  I might be able to meet you half way if you are interested in playing a round of golf

That is VERY tempting. Let me look at our schedule and talk to the Mrs. to see if there’s a day I could make something happen. Halfway is roughly Stevens Point area? I know a few good spots there. 

EDIT: scratch that lol, Stevens Point is much too Southeast to be halfway for you. I will do some map looking to find a good halfway marker and then see if I can make something work!

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 60S

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Put a low bid in for a Cobra Darkspeed LS 9.0 driver head and was pleasantly surprised that I won the EBay auction.  

Looking forward to seeing how it compares to my current Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 head when paired with the TPT 18 LO shaft.

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

On 4/30/2024 at 7:08 AM, ZackS said:

The difference is just a higher modulus material being used in the Nitro range. This was done to get lower torque without continuing to add weight. 

Can anyone describe what high modulus material is in a golf shaft, or provide a good reference link? I know what modulus is for math and computer science if that helps. I asked this somewhere when I saw it... maybe it was the "testers wanted" thread for this, or another shaft test... but I didn't see an answer.

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

1 hour ago, HikingMike said:

Can anyone describe what high modulus material is in a golf shaft, or provide a good reference link? I know what modulus is for math and computer science if that helps. I asked this somewhere when I saw it... maybe it was the "testers wanted" thread for this, or another shaft test... but I didn't see an answer.

The quickest explanation is it is stronger so it will decrease torque and increase stiffness. Most shafts have a mixture of higher and lower modulus to balance stiffness, feel and cost. Here is a link talking about carbon fiber modulus in general. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

2 hours ago, ZackS said:

The quickest explanation is it is stronger so it will decrease torque and increase stiffness. Most shafts have a mixture of higher and lower modulus to balance stiffness, feel and cost. Here is a link talking about carbon fiber modulus in general. 

Thanks, that was really helpful! 

Thought I would provide an update after my round yesterday. Was able to sneak in 18 after work finishing right as the sun went down at Bear Creek West . Continuing my stretch of good golf I shot a 1 over 73. Putting inside 5 feet was good but speed control outside of that was not. Hit a few bad chips where I mis-read the lie and pulled a few 5 woods off the tee that lead to bogeys but not the shafts fault as that has always been my miss with fairway woods and it's in my head a little at this point. Though I am happy to say on 9 after I pulled one I was mad and just hit a second for the hell of it and stripped it. I then hit 2 more on the back 9 that were perfect. Irons overall where good other then a few distance control issues that I also was having on the wedges inside 100 yards. I am not sure if it was just the gusty winds what where swirling in the trees or I was just hitting it farther then normal. But the star of the show was the driver and the TPT Nitro shaft. I can honestly say that outside a few days my driver has been my best club and that is the first time I can ever say that in my golfing career. Overall I was 6 of 9 fairways hit with the driver but only one was a bad swing which was on the last hole were I was getting attached my nats landing on my face and up my nose for some reason and after backing off a few times I just decided to hit it anyway. The other 2 misses fairways was a hit right where I wanted but hit it so good it ran through the fairway by a yard or 2. The other was a slight push but I but the line I picked was a little to right and didn't realize it was the right edge of the fairway of the bunker. I was going fast on the front 9 so not really paying attention to distance but on the back when I caught some groups I did and these 4 drives sum up the day pretty well. Tight hole into wind right down the middle 305, then turned to be down wind down hill straight down the middle 360, turn back into the wind with the landing area is pretty uphill 298 down the middle again, and finally another down hill down wind straight down the middle 340 and the ball had a big clump of mud so I know it could not have got much roll. I recently started using the SwingU app to check it out. Since I have kept score on it it give you a handicap estimate and I haven't kept one in 15 plus years but over the 3 rounds I was surprised to see this

IMG_CD4C3AEBDA94-1.jpeg.cc256e91964c92ca37ce5daae7bef002.jpeg

Add this to the holes played during the testing period and that is 8 over par for 100 holes since putting the TPT shafts into play. Guess I have to change the handicap number on profile down a little! Obviously there is more to this than the 3 clubs with the TP shafts but they have definitely helped especially with the driver for me.

WITB:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

1 hour ago, ZackS said:

Thought I would provide an update after my round yesterday. Was able to sneak in 18 after work finishing right as the sun went down at Bear Creek West . Continuing my stretch of good golf I shot a 1 over 73. Putting inside 5 feet was good but speed control outside of that was not. Hit a few bad chips where I mis-read the lie and pulled a few 5 woods off the tee that lead to bogeys but not the shafts fault as that has always been my miss with fairway woods and it's in my head a little at this point. Though I am happy to say on 9 after I pulled one I was mad and just hit a second for the hell of it and stripped it. I then hit 2 more on the back 9 that were perfect. Irons overall where good other then a few distance control issues that I also was having on the wedges inside 100 yards. I am not sure if it was just the gusty winds what where swirling in the trees or I was just hitting it farther then normal. But the star of the show was the driver and the TPT Nitro shaft. I can honestly say that outside a few days my driver has been my best club and that is the first time I can ever say that in my golfing career. Overall I was 6 of 9 fairways hit with the driver but only one was a bad swing which was on the last hole were I was getting attached my nats landing on my face and up my nose for some reason and after backing off a few times I just decided to hit it anyway. The other 2 misses fairways was a hit right where I wanted but hit it so good it ran through the fairway by a yard or 2. The other was a slight push but I but the line I picked was a little to right and didn't realize it was the right edge of the fairway of the bunker. I was going fast on the front 9 so not really paying attention to distance but on the back when I caught some groups I did and these 4 drives sum up the day pretty well. Tight hole into wind right down the middle 305, then turned to be down wind down hill straight down the middle 360, turn back into the wind with the landing area is pretty uphill 298 down the middle again, and finally another down hill down wind straight down the middle 340 and the ball had a big clump of mud so I know it could not have got much roll. I recently started using the SwingU app to check it out. Since I have kept score on it it give you a handicap estimate and I haven't kept one in 15 plus years but over the 3 rounds I was surprised to see this

IMG_CD4C3AEBDA94-1.jpeg.cc256e91964c92ca37ce5daae7bef002.jpeg

Add this to the holes played during the testing period and that is 8 over par for 100 holes since putting the TPT shafts into play. Guess I have to change the handicap number on profile down a little! Obviously there is more to this than the 3 clubs with the TP shafts but they have definitely helped especially with the driver for me.

Damn, sounds like you're on fire to me. Your average is basically even par.

34 minutes ago, HikingMike said:

Damn, sounds like you're on fire to me. Your average is basically even par.

Definitely been a good stretch of golf. For the most part when one part of the game has been off something else has picked it up to even it out. Like yesterday my speed on long putts was not good at all but I made all the 3 to 4 footers to not have any 3 putts. I think the most surprising is getting on a hot streak happens but I have been able to do it not getting to play very consistently. Very encouraging for sure. 

WITB:

• 2 weeks later...

Took the morning off and played with my dad and uncle at Tierra Verde. Played from the black tees which was 6975 yards and 73.8/135. Despite feeling I didn’t do anything great today my good scores continued and I shot 39/34 for a 73 so very happy with that. The TPT shafts keep performing, despite starting the day with my timing a little off, except for when my foot slipped I kept it in play. I had a few other close calls but this course is one where every hole is lined with environmentally sensitive areas that place is hazards. I did get my timing down and ended with 4 straight good drives. Including on a 295 yard par 4 i decided to be aggressive and carried it on the green. IMG_3269.jpeg.0ad7e0b77e4f4adaa452a685d7a88aca.jpeg
Also on the a slightly downhill 237 yard par 3 I hit this hybrid that spun back a few inches. IMG_3268.jpeg.f454277ecd53a23a24a22c2340a97c28.jpeg

Edited by ZackS

WITB:

Back in Georgia after 6 weeks Up North.

Look what was waiting for me at the post office when I picked up my mail.

IMG_0809.jpeg.5d60f6f6cfe562d86a8cc1124d16fa82.jpeg

Cobra Darkspeed LS 9.0 driver head.

Going to take it to the course today and see how it does paired with the TPT Power Range 18 LO shaft compared with my current Cobra LTDx LS 9.0.

After a short range session I put the Cobra Darkspeed LS driver head into play on Thursday with the TPT Golf Power Range 18 LO shaft.

It feels like the swing weight of the Darkspeed head is a little lighter than the LTDx LS.  Was having a little tougher time feeling where the Darkspeed was in my swing.  I will order some heavier sole weights to experiment with, but will probably just slap some lead tape on it for today’s round.

Did hit 8/13 fairways when using driver off the tee though which is encouraging.  Only one really bad swing all day when I tried to really go after one and got out of sequence. Distance was comparable to the LTDx LS overall.  

The Darkspeed is also a little harder to align because of the all black finish.  I understand now why Rickie Fowler and Gary Woodland have a  vertical white line painted on their drivers.

More to come.

Second round with the Cobra Darkspeed LS 9.0 driver head paired with the TPT Power Range 18 LO shaft. 9 of 13 fairways hit today.  

It’s early but the Darkspeed LS head seems more forgiving than the Cobra LTDx LS head.

3rd round with the Cobra Darkspeed LS 9.0 driver head paired with the TPT Power Range 18 LO shaft. 9 of 13 fairways hit today again.  One penalty off the tee.

• 2 weeks later...

Excited to see that the video I made for TPT Golf was used on Facebook today.

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/EQWiYDSeWM6K2DtB/?mibextid=WC7FNe