Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Bad traps

Recently joined the mens club board of directors at a public course. Most of the course conditions are good but the sand traps are a mess. They were neglected for years and when addressed the wrong sand was used. The sand used had pebbles and "sandy dirt" I've always know as river sand. This sand has (after rain and a winter) created "hard pan"  just below the surface of the sand even after machine raking.

There has been a lot of discussion on how to handle the poor conditions. Last year the rule of rake and drop from 6" was revisited at the last board meeting. 

There are those who feel it should be rake and place while others feel it should be rake and drop from the knee as other drops. 

A lot of the time the traps are flat due to rain and a lack of raking and you get a lie couldn't be better in regards to being a clean lie. Not knowing what the consistency under your lie, you decide you need to rake. The debate has been how to handle. The low handicapper feels placing the ball after raking is an advantage, assuming they land in traps less. Others feel dropping the ball after raking will result in a worse lie then before raking.

I am leaning towards placing because looking at rule 14.2 (D) trying to recreate the lie would mean you have to place the ball not drop. Yes I realize that most wont recreate a poor lie, but I also don't see anything about dropping a ball other than taking relief or in a relief area.

Would like to know what your thoughts are and maybe know if a rule covers this sort of ruling.

Still swinging!

• 3 weeks later...

We have had the same situation, our men's league decided to allow a rake and place. It's not optimal but as long as everyone is doing it that makes it an even playing field.

• :callaway-small:Paradym AI Smoke Max Ventus TR Blue 5S
  • :Sub70: 3 & 7W 949 stiff
  • :mizuno-small: 921 JPX Tour 5-W Stiff Nippon 120
  • :taylormade-small: MG4 Raw Grind 50, 56 & 60 Stiff
  • :ping-small: Ping Anser 2 putter 
  • :titleist-small: Pro V1
  • EZ Go 4 seater

You could just play as GUR until the trap situation is fixed. Drop one club length from the back edge of the bunker keeping the bunker between player and target. If courses don't maintain their bunkers and use the correct sand, they should just be removed from the course IMO.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

My course also has lousy traps. For our typical "mens" events we allow raking and placing however sometimes after heavy rains we post in local rules to place ball behind bunker no closer to hole. Hopefully our new greenskeeper this year will have these as a priority.

Ping G425 SGT Driver

Ping Rapture V2 4 wood

Ping Rapture V2 23 ° Hybrid

Ping G430 26 ° Hybrib

Ping G 6 to PW irons

Ping 50° & 54° Glide 2 Wedge

Square Strike Chipper

Sandy Andy Sand Wedge

Evnroll ER7CS Center Shaft putter

Well since posting this two board meetings have occured. The first meeting was pro placing. Mostly due to a difference of opinion of (those opposing placing) on the drop height. Spliting the opposing vote.

Skirting the intention of rules of order the vote was reconsidered at the next board meeting.  This time due to the absence of two members, dropping from 6" was adopted for a local rule on a tie vote broken by the president. 

My largest disappointment is not having lost the vote, it's not having any semblance of a USGA rule backing the decision to drop in a trap. The decision, having to drop from 6", was based solely on the premise that you deserve a drop lie for going in a hazard.  

Still swinging!

10 minutes ago, Tom Ryan said:

My largest disappointment is not having lost the vote, it's not having any semblance of a USGA rule backing the decision to drop in a trap. The decision, having to drop from 6", was based solely on the premise that you deserve a drop lie for going in a hazard.  

You have created a rule for your course.  If I were making  the decision I would go with a model that mimics similar rules.   For example if there is temporary water or an abnormal condition in a bunker the player drops the ball in the bunker and a drop occurs from knee height not 6".    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG