SuperSpeed sues The Stack System

Thanks for sharing this and the Complaint filed by SuperSpeed.  I can’t seem to copy and paste from the Complaint but the answer to “why” is SuperSpeed doing this is in Paragraph F on page 30. Basically they are saying that they are the victim of StackSystems false advertising and that the court should give SuperSpeed all of StackSystems profits and then triple it as punishment.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

On 5/11/2024 at 7:31 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Thought it might be interesting to discuss the blog post news that SuperSpeed is suing The Stack System for false advertising: https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/superspeed-sues-the-stack-system-for-false-advertising/

For those interested, the filing is found here: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/603d222df4a6a57df7ef3e29/t/663cdba5d89e3a1848dab8d1/1715264422455/US_DIS_ILND_1_24cv3749_d34676497e293_COMPLAINT_filed_by_SuperSpeed_Golf_LLC_Jury_Demand.pdf

The central complaint is that the way The Stack falsely inflates the distance gains its users accomplish, and then users those inflated numbers to actively advertise itself to more users. It inflates the numbers in two key ways:

• In the app, the first swings you take are "Full Intent." After a few sessions, you switch to swinging with "Max Intent." SuperSpeed cites a Sasho tweet that the difference between these intents should be about 4–10%. SuperSpeed also notes that the structure of the protocol (swinging a heavy weight just before doing the lighter weight at the end) will inflate the max number. Thus, when users hit the share results button in the app, they're showing a big gain that may have nothing to do with the effectiveness of The Stack program itself.
  • The algorithm that predicts on course distance often suggests a significantly inflated expectation of distance. The Stack trumpets these gains in their social media advertising. The complaint notes one instance in which an individual celebrates an on-course 20-yard distance gain, even as their Stack data suggests a 50-yard gain.

I think this will be interesting to watch. I have the Stack and think that the app is incredibly well-designed and engaging. I am not a lawyer and won't pretend to have any estimate of the likelihood of SuperSpeed prevailing in this case. But the two points that they make here are not groundless. It is clear that the early sense of progress is juiced by comparing Full Intent to Max Intent swings. And while you can dig into the website and find some of the assumptions that go into their "Distance Potential" calculations, those are very generous assumptions. According to Stack, I have a distance potential over 340 yards; according to Arccos, I actually hit the ball 100 yards shorter than that.

I think it's also obvious that SuperSpeed is taking a PR hit by filing this suit, and that it does seem to indicate a certain kind of weakness to want to take a competitor out by lawsuit.

Many times litigation is the only way to impact a competitor when the general feeling is the competitor isn’t playing fair. I am interested to see how this plays out. 

I am a SS user and have had a good time with it. I do remember watching their protocols, especially the introductory protocols, and hearing the results will vary and indicated some of their best results were in the 20+ yard range on course. The way a company shows gains is critical in this niche of golf. 

Also, the marketing claims that are made with the latest clubs and tech always always always have fine print associated with it. All of these companies are crafty… gotta give them that! 

Practical golf FTW!