New Golfer Looking to Upgrade from 20-Year-Old Clubs – Seeking Advice!

Jsoul

Hey everyone,

I've been playing golf for about 4 months now, and I’m absolutely loving it. However, I've been using a set of 20-year-old clubs that I inherited, and I think it's time for an upgrade.

Since I'm fairly new to the game, I want to invest in a nicer set of clubs that will not only improve my game now but also last me as I continue to develop my skills. I'm looking for something that offers a good mix of durability, performance, and value.

Any recommendations on brands, specific models, or features that I should be looking for? Also, any tips on where to purchase or get fitted for these new clubs would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions!

I think one of the best things you could do is look up if there are any demo days around and in your area. Head over to one and see if you can try some clubs, normally it is free and it can give you a chance to try different clubs and models, but also talk to the reps and hear what they could recommend for you and your swing. Low risk, lots of fun and often help give you a bit more knowledge going in. 

Hard to go wrong with any of the major brands, big part will be your budget and what you want to spend. 

Hope that helps a little bit and welcome to the forum!

⛳🛄 as of Oct 5, 2024 (Past WITB
Driver:  :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ - check out the Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ shaft (still love my Cobra F7's)

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron                                

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,57 or :titleist-small: SM10 45,49,53,57 degree wedges

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png LINK! Full putter shootout incoming

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Golf Bag: Ghost Anyday 5.0 Golf bag - Maverick colorway with MGS Logo

Other: Vortex Anarch Rangefinder, searching for electric cart, Red Rooster The Root Glove and more

I agree with @GolfSpy_APH in getting out to a demo day to try some clubs out.  They will also be able to guide you a little bit on type of club needed. 

One other suggestion I would make if it's in the budget would be to go do a fitting.  I waited for years and finally did it, and I could kick myself for not doing it a lot sooner.  It made a world of difference and my game and scores improved.  

Good luck and welcome to the forum

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

Welcome to the MGS forums.

Without any location details, I can't guide you for what may be in your area. 

Have you hit any other type of clubs from friends?

What clubs are you using at the moment? (aka -what's in the bag?)

I too play a 25+ year old set of clubs, and recently acquired a 10 year old driver and matching woods, plus am testing some Stix irons as well.

while I haven't been fitted, I agree that a demo day is a good start to get some feel and numbers as a reference. 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Welcome to the forums!  

I will also echo what others have said- try and get to a demo day either at your local retailer or one of the local golf courses (the free option) or book a fitting with a local fitter- most times, they wave the fee if you buy a set from them. Without knowing where you are located, we can’t give you more detailed recommendations, sorry.

Have a budget range you are willing to spend and keep an open mind- what I thought I was going to buy (Mizuno JPx923) vs what I was fit for (TaylorMade Qi10)…2 totally different items 🙂 And “latest and greatest” doesn’t always equate to “better” for your particular golf swing.  I’ve recently gotten fitted for fairway woods and surprising myself, I was better off with brand new , never played (2022 model) Cobra LTDx 3 & 5 FW’s than the 2024 crop of FW’s…they were also about 1/2 the price of the 2024 crop of FW’s which was very nice on the wallet!

Good luck in your search, let us know how it turns out!

Jean 

Edited by Jean D

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022) 

Fairway Woods: NEW Cobra LTDx King 3 & 5 FW (Project-X Hzrdus iM10 Smoke Green 60g 5.5R)

Irons: TaylorMade Qi 6-PW (Ventus TR Blue 6R)

Wedges: Cleveland RTx 4 52/56/60 Wedges (True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Tour )

Putter: Cleveland Frontline 10.0 Mallet

Grips: GolfPride CP2 Wrap Jumbo

New Gamer Ball: 2024 Bridgestone Tour B RX 

Get fit. PGA tour superstore or Golf Galaxy are reasonable. Based on results, get a used set that meets the specs you need. I oftem recommend Sim2, sim2 max, ping g400, g700 or other g sets based on budget. You probably need game improvement since you're just starting.

If you've been bitten by the golf bug, see a local pro and get a few lessons. Self taught is the poorest means of learning and improving. Good luck and welcome to the obsession.

10 hours ago, Jsoul said:

Hey everyone,

I've been playing golf for about 4 months now, and I’m absolutely loving it. However, I've been using a set of 20-year-old clubs that I inherited, and I think it's time for an upgrade.

Since I'm fairly new to the game, I want to invest in a nicer set of clubs that will not only improve my game now but also last me as I continue to develop my skills. I'm looking for something that offers a good mix of durability, performance, and value.

Any recommendations on brands, specific models, or features that I should be looking for? Also, any tips on where to purchase or get fitted for these new clubs would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions!

@Jsoul Welcome to the forum. Like @GolfSpy_APH and others have suggested, demo days are a good way to try different clubs and figure out what you like or don’t like. I would recommend booking a fitting to help you get clubs that work well for you.  Lessons are another way to help you play better. Have fun in the process. 

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, TM MG4 SB 48*/09*, HB 54*/13*, TW 60*/11*, Accra ICWT 95 M4

Putter: L.A.B. DF3, TPT shaft, pistol grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

I would emphasize what @Josh Parker said about going for a fitting. My uncle suggested I do one when I was first looking for my current clubs and I am very happy I did. I ended up with clubs that hadn’t been on my radar while I was doing research. During the fitting we tried the clubs that I likely would have purchased if I had made a purchase without doing a fitting and would have ended up very disappointed after spending significant money on clubs that I could not hit well.

I’m such a believer in the value of formal fittings now that I did another one two weeks ago with Ping for a lob wedge to complete my bag. 

The big retailers like 2nd Swing and PGATSS generally take the cost of the fitting off the price of your purchase of clubs if you purchase from them. I like this option because it gives you the opportunity to try a broad selection instead of a single brand’s offerings.

:ping-small: G430 MAX 10.5º Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6 X

:ping-small:  G430 MAX 5 Wood Tour 2.0 Chrome 65 S shaft

:ping-small: G430 MAX 4 Hybrid Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 S Shaft

:ping-small: G430 5i - PW :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: G430 45º & 50º :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: Glide Pro Forged 56º S-10° :truetemper: Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

:ping-small: S159 60° H-8° :truetemper: Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

:L.A.B.: DF3 :accra: shaft

Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ review

For me value has been the leading factor in gear choices. I just can’t convince myself to pay the prices the OEMs are charging for their current season offerings. 

I have found some great value buying used thru Facebook marketplace. I picked up a like new Mizuno 52 wedge last week for $30. I have also found great value from the DTC brands. Maltby and Sub 70 are my favorite DTCs at the moment. Only down side with this approach is the inability to hit them first.  Sub 70 does have a really nice demo program. And for the price Maltby charges it is extremely affordable to by a 7i in a few sets to hit before picking which set to buy and you will still save $1000 over the OEMs and have clubs of equal or better quality and performance. 

Edited by Wolfstrum

Switch hitter, RH Driver, LH Irons

Callaway Mavrik Driver (RH)

Sub 70 3i Driving/Utility iron (LH)

Maltby STi2 4i-PW, GW (LH)

Mizuno MP R Series 52 degree 

Wilson Jim Ferrier Signature SW (LH)

Mizuno TP Mills blade putter (LH)

Okay, demo days are amazing. You get to try a little bit of everything. I personally really like Golftec. I've had all my fittings done there and also take lessons there when time and budget allow. If you have one near you, I highly recommend them. If not, golf galaxy is an okay fitting but it's very dependent on the fitter. But that's the case just about anywhere I suppose. I went with a friend who got fitted for a couple clubs there. If budget is a concern, then you could let the fitter know that you're not buying that day up front. Ebay is a great source for getting slightly used clubs at decent prices. I've bought a lot of my bag makeup from ebay and I'm more than happy with it. From my personal experience(starting in 2020), I wish I would have stayed away from the so called game improvement clubs. I have since moved to a players distance. The difference is crazy even without any swing changes. Last, I want to wish you the best of luck with this super crazy game. 

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 9 degree @ 44.5"

3 wood - Cobra LTDx max 

5 wood - Cobra LTDx

Taylormade P770 4-PW

Mizuno S22 wedges - 50, 54 and 58

Putter - Odyssey white hot OG 1

I recommend a fitting.  Find someone that might also do lessons and fittings in a one stop shop.  Just depends on your area and cost of course.  

I have been playing for over 30 years and have only had 4 sets of irons that entire time.  Had Ping Eye 2 (black dot) for all of my junior golf through college graduation.  Then did a Golf Galaxy type fitting (would not recommend) and decided on Mizuno MP-67's.  I then had those for 13 years, not really considering an upgrade until I realized how much new technology there was out there and the fact that I felt I was losing a significant amount of distance due to my swing changing and the clubs not keeping up.  

That being said, have a completely open mind with zero lean towards any particular brand or model.  I made the mistake of concentrating too much on the distance lost and despite hitting a couple of sets much better/flush, went with TM P790's because the feel and distance were so much of an improvement.  Fast forward 18 months later and I had to part ways with the P790s due to the notorious low spinner flyers.  I could hit the same shot 10 times with the 7iron and it might fly 20-30 yards further 2-3 of those swings.  I couldn't manage what I couldn't control due to the hot face of the P790s.  I then got fitted with my pro, going through what my goals, strengths, weaknesses, etc.  He was able to take what he knew of my swing and where he wanted to go with it and try a wide assortment of combinations.  I finally settled on the Titleist T100 (2019) with Nippon Modus 120 shafts and have never looked back.  I love those things.  

One piece of advice, which has served me well.  Never buy from the fitter or pro if you are trying to save money.  The last 2 times I got fitted, I then found those clubs barely used.  There are so many people that buy golf clubs without even trying them only to realize they aren't a good fit; the amount you save would probably cover any adjustments needed based on your fitting with shaft, lie, etc.  

Edited by Captain3484

image.png.53354188097eea85c5325ad7b3db6cf2.png      G430 Max 10K Driver - Ventus TR Blue 6s Shaft

image.png.32e2d20c055865d2a3425a8cafb67d60.png  Sim2 - 3 wood - Ventus Blue Stiff shaft

image.png.9fb639cf79fe343df9dfc9c83b19b9ee.png T150 3 iron

image.png.fadd9201d8530d21c144d76aa68c05e8.png T100 (2019) 4-GW - Nippon Modus 120 shafts

image.png.82a4cc61b3719eddebfe9dc479c0e2eb.png Vokey SM9 54/58 - Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

image.png.c1d5233100420e65db9bdcd7a8a42c20.png   DF3 Putter - Stock

image.png.0c2f58a8cceabab96c7874f15ade2bdd.png Pro V1x

Fitting is the way to go, but it's pricey, and your game may not be in a place yet where spending a ton of money on clubs makes sense.

If your swing changes a lot over the next year or so (and it most likely will), you may not be suited for the clubs you invested in.

IMHO, I suggest you look for a nice set of used forgiving Ping irons (any G series really), or look for some Adams game improvement irons.

Once you have a decent set of forgiving irons, then go for a lesson or 2, and start working on technique.

Good luck, welcome to the sport, and I hope you have an understanding wife!

Driver: TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Epic Sub-Zero / Callaway Epic Flash 

3W: Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5º (2015)

5W: Adams Tight Lies 19º (2014) 

Irons: Adams CB1 4 - GW / Adams CMB 4 - GW / Adams CB2 5 - GW 

Hybrid: Adams V4 4 iron

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56º / Burke Golf TF01 60º 

Putter(s): Odyssey Ai-ONE 2-Ball® / Ping Candence TR Tomcat C