Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Upgrading my Irons finally

LeftyLove

So, I am a high handicap golfer and currently gaming the Callaway xr os Irons 5-pw for the last 4 years. I felt my swing is getting alot better but I don't get the ball flight I want. so I got fitted (on grass) for the Callaway Ai Smoke HL irons and the ball flight looked and felt great. I decided to go with 6-pw, aw, and gw. I am also going with 4 and 5 hybrid ai smoke HL to complete the set. obviously a big purchase and I am hoping to see some improvement on the course. Looking for anyone who has been using these irons and what are your thoughts on them?

1 hour ago, LeftyLove said:

So, I am a high handicap golfer and currently gaming the Callaway xr os Irons 5-pw for the last 4 years. I felt my swing is getting alot better but I don't get the ball flight I want. so I got fitted (on grass) for the Callaway Ai Smoke HL irons and the ball flight looked and felt great. I decided to go with 6-pw, aw, and gw. I am also going with 4 and 5 hybrid ai smoke HL to complete the set. obviously a big purchase and I am hoping to see some improvement on the course. Looking for anyone who has been using these irons and what are your thoughts on them?

They aren't for me, but do what they say on the tin. They are long, they fly high and while I didn't love the look of them for my game however they were as advertised in terms of data and what I was getting out of them. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, LeftyLove said:

I am hoping to see some improvement on the course.

I will offer this.  As a brand new set of clubs, I'm sure they will be very nice.

If you just wanted new clubs(as I purchased for myself when I retired) that is one thing, or if you just have the money to spend, then more power to you.

I am personally, and caution others to be  skeptical and cautious of the path,  whose name is ....."New equipment = Improvement"

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

19 minutes ago, Stuka44 said:

I am personally, and caution others to be  skeptical and cautious of the path,  whose name is ....."New equipment = Improvement"

My experience is the flip side of this and can relate to the latest 3 wood testing for MGS most wanted testing.  One of the Cobra 3 woods was an absolute hook machine for me and had very low spin even after making all the adjustments we could.  Other 3 woods that I was hitting during that session were smith straighter, higher flying, and  had significantly improved performance.    That is a specific example and does illustrate itself will all club testing I do.  New equipment can equal improved club performance.   Improvement in scoring probably does require more than new equipment.  

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

30 minutes ago, Stuka44 said:

I will offer this.  As a brand new set of clubs, I'm sure they will be very nice.

If you just wanted new clubs(as I purchased for myself when I retired) that is one thing, or if you just have the money to spend, then more power to you.

While no one should assume new= better or improvement and everyone should spend within their means no matter the product, I would say it is important to have clubs which match where you are with your game.   As you improve, be careful to not bite off more than you should, but sometimes starting out requires you to advance through different sets as you grow and develop.   I know I have gone through clubs and have done ok to resell, but often it was a result of playing a season and assessing where i was and perhaps recognizing that moving into an extra stiff shaft was the right thing to do after getting a lot of rounds in which nudged me in that direction.   I never thought it would automatically make me better, but it turned out that it was a calculated change that yielded benefits.

• Driver--:titleist-small: TSr 3 -9* (B1) -Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6-X 
  • Fairway - image.png.d0176d18d9ceb1317233e258be95d3b7.png- G430Max 15*-Flat, 3 Wood Tour 2.0 Chrome stiff
  • Fairway - image.png.15c97d4865288e26d52bce8c57064167.png- G430MAX 20* (-1, flat) 7 Wood Tour 2.0 Chrome stiff
  • Hybrid - image.png.9e093926e300ff1030b63d07f1aa41b7.png- G430MAX 3 Hybrid (-1, Flat) Alta CB Stiff (looking for a new shaft)
  • UDI- :ping-small:- iCrossover Utility Driving 3 iron (18*, flat) UST Proforce V2 Stiff sometimes  :Sub70: -699 Pro 4 -22* Driving Iron UST Proforce V2 Stiff
  • Irons- :srixon-small:- ZX4 MK II 5-7, Srixon ZX5 8-P Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 X-Stiff
  • Wedges-  :cleveland-small:- RTX Zip Core 50*, 54* Nippon Modus 3 Wedge, 58* True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
  • Putter- :EVNROLL: - ER5v Short Slant
  • Ball-  Bridgestone Tour B X
  • Bag- :ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag
  • Clic Gear 4.0 push cart

image.png

image.png

2 hours ago, LeftyLove said:

Glad you found irons that work for you.  That is all you should worry about and not be concerned with what other people think of those irons.   Getting better ball flight like you described is an improvement.   Next step is translating that into playing better.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG