Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Westwood splits from coach, caddie after PGA

Kanoito

Aug. 13, 2012

LONDON (AP) -- Lee Westwood's manager says the English golfer has split from coach Pete Cowen and temporary caddie Mike Waite after his disappointing performance at the PGA Championship.

Cowen works with several top golfers, including Darren Clarke, Graeme McDowell and Louis Oosthuizen, but the 39-year-old Westwood believes a fresh approach could improve his chances of finally winning a major.

Westwood's manager Andrew Chandler says "Lee admits he needed to shake things up" and that "he'd lost his focus and his enthusiasm a bit."

His regular caddie, Billy Foster, injured his knee in May and won't return until next year. Mike Kerr, who is normally on the bag for Alvaro Quiros, will take over for two months.

Westwood missed the cut at the PGA Championship, where Rory McIlroy won by eight shots.

Another "can't fire myself, so fire the caddy" situation?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Yeah, it almost always is with golfers, but it is understandable. The coach even moreso than the caddy in my opinion.

Sometimes I think people just need to change, as the article says, just "shake things up a bit". Getting new people around you can change the way you react, they might say something that inspires you or helps you understand something that you'd struggled with.

I think the moral of the story is: "If you're providing services to a golfer who is missing cuts, your job is not secure!"

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Rory said that in Akron week before last Dave Stockton told him to go out with a smile and just remember you are playing golf for a living and that is all you have wanted to do since you were a child. Go out and enjoy it, there is no reason to get upset or frustrated. Enjoy the golf. (not a direct quote but close)

It seemed to work for Rory. Except the play golf for a living part, I am going to try this approach. Club championship is coming up in a few weeks.

If that little talk is all that it took to inspire Rory, who needed inspiration, who can blame Westwood.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Rory said that in Akron week before last Dave Stockton told him to go out with a smile and just remember you are playing golf for a living and that is all you have wanted to do since you were a child. Go out and enjoy it, there is no reason to get upset or frustrated. Enjoy the golf. (not a direct quote but close)

It seemed to work for Rory. Except the play golf for a living part, I am going to try this approach. Club championship is coming up in a few weeks.

If that little talk is all that it took to inspire Rory, who needed inspiration, who can blame Westwood.

Tiger actually tried the same thing of playing "happy golf" and it failed for him. Maybe it's just me, but it seems whenever I've noticed Westwood win the field has been fairly weak. Perhaps it really is just him and he's a victim of overinflation by the OWGR?

Tiger actually tried the same thing of playing "happy golf" and it failed for him. Maybe it's just me, but it seems whenever I've noticed Westwood win the field has been fairly weak. Perhaps it really is just him and he's a victim of overinflation by the OWGR?

I read Tiger attribute his loss to the fact that he came out Saturday and did not take it seriously enough.

In recent history here in the US Westwood has won with some of the weaker fields, however, in Europe that is a different matter. He does have 22 wins. He won early this year when the I20's first came out, do not remember where but it was in the cold and there was a pretty strong field and he won big. But he has not followed that up.

You are right in that he has , no Euro Flagship tournaments (Euro Majors), no PGA Majors, and no WGC wins. And no FedEx Playoff wins but one Dubai Championship win (2009).

For those that do not follow Euro golf, to me anyway, there are 14 tournaments a year that have a really strong field world wide.

4 PGA Majors

4 WGC Events

BMW PGA (Euros)

Dubai Championship(Euros)

Fed Ex Playoffs.

To me that is the true list of majors, and I could even shorten it to the final Fed Ex Cup.

If you can win the FedEx Cup than that is much a much bigger deal to me than winning on tournament that happens to be a "Major"

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Golf is often about finding that one little thing that makes everything work in harmony. A new coach might find that for him. I think he's also moving to the US and may be looking for a coach who will be easier to work with here. Also I'm guessing he's really missing his regular caddy. He's got someone different standing by him on every shot. There's probably a loss of comfort level there that he's got to work through or find someone else he is comfortable with until his regular caddy is back.

Archived