Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Titleist Vokey SM7 Review

Kanoito

So I've been playing the SM7 for about a month now and would like to share my findings with you guys...

I'm going to skip my golfer background, but if you are interested, I do mention it in my ShotScope and MLA putter reviews (links in my signature).

I got a fitting for my drivers and irons... so why not the wedges as well? Until now, I had been playing with Mizuno T5 wedges OTR. It wasn't hard to choose, no grind options, just loft and bounce.

But what if there was more performance hidden behind a well-fitted set of wedges? I had to find out!

Fitting

My fitting was done at Titleist Fitting Center in Green Eagle (where the Porsche European Open was hosted).

fitting2_small.jpg

I've played the course once about 5 years ago, when I was still a total beginner. So I'm pretty sure I was unable to appreciate it. The North Course is looong. I remember there is a hole that could easily be made into a Par 6.

Anyways, when I arrived, the course was pretty much on lock-down (prepartion for the PEO). A lot of Porsche on display, immaculate driving range, waiting for the pro's to show up a few weeks later.

After saying hi to my fitter, we got down to business. The usual questions: what's your handicap, what wedges are you using now, what is your PW, carry, etc...

I was already warmed-up, so we got on Trackman right away. My CF16 PW was pretty consistent with 120 yards carry.

Standard loft on the PW is 45°, so my fitter we recommended to stay with the current set-up of 50°, 54°, 58°.

Vokey offers the 50°in F grind only. Since I'm a slider, my fitter recommended the 8°bounce option. The F grind is more suitable for square-faced and full swings. That's good, cause that's also how I use my gap wedge most of the time. To keep a consistent feel with the full-swings, we opted for the PX 5.5 shaft, just like my iron set.

50_small.jpg

Then we moved on to the SW. The 54°offers 3 grinds and 3 bounce options: 54/8M, 54/10S and 54/14F.

After hitting a few shots off mats (where Trackman was insatlled) we moved on to the short game area, hitting some 65 yard approaches, pitching over bunkers, out of bunkers and some short-sided pins.

fittingrange_small.jpg

After testing all 3 options, we settled for the 54/14F with the best results. Initially, I was worried that the 14°bounce would be too much for my home course. But my fitter gave me a few swing tips (obviously, the flaw was in my swing) and I was able to play the 14 bounce wedge without any issues. I'm obviously no tour player, but perhaps you would like to know that the F grind is the most-played SW on tour. Probably has no meaning for us amateurs, but it was stupid easy to get out of fluffy bunkers with this wedge.

We picked the DG R300 shaft for this one, since I won't be swinging fully, and the heavier shaft provides more control.

54_small.jpg

Last, but not least, the 58° lob wedge. Titleist offers 5 options 58/4L, 58/8M, 58/10S, 58/12D and 58/14K.

58/14K was out of the question, since I already had a high-bounce sand wedge in 54°.

58/4L offers maximum versatility, but the least forgiveness, so not recommended for my level.

After reading about @chisag and @jluke's positive experience with the D grind, I was dying to test it myself. This is a new offering in the SM7 line-up, but unfortunately, my fitter didn't see it suitable for me, as I rarely take divots.

So we only had the M and S grinds left. I couldn't tell the difference between these 2, but the M worked well, even for open-faced lobs. And here we picked the DG R300 as well.

58_small.jpg

After choosing the 3 wedges, I picked the JetBlack finish with GP MMC +4 grips in 3 different colors. These grips are pretty sweet with their larger lower hand.

sm7-1.jpg

Performance

Spin (5 out of 5)

These babies spin a lot! I tested them on the short game area with range rocks and I was able to stop them 3 feet from the whole while chipping and just 1-2 bounces when pitching.

With real balls (depending what's on sale), the spin is much more obvious. Even without divots, I had some balls spinning back. I tested with Chrome Soft and TP5.

I can't tell you if the increased spin was due to the Spin Milled Groove Technology or just because the wedges are new and have sharper grooves. So we'll have to see in a few months...

Control (5 out of 5)

The SM7 delivered consistent distances every time. According to the Pelz clock system:

1/4 LW 35 yards

1/4 SW 45 yards

1/4 GW 55 yards

1/2 LW 65 yards

1/2 SW 75 yards

1/2 GW 85 yards

3/4 GW 100 yards

These wedges also use Progressive CG, so depending on the loft, you'll have different CG to achieve a more consistent trajectory and distance. Not sure if this helps, but I was definitely able to trust my partial swings to reach the desired distance and didn't need to force them or worry that it wouldn't be enough.

Feel (4 out of 5)

I personally "felt" the SM7 were a little clickier than my Mizuno wedges. I'm not gonna go into the endless debate of "forged vs cast" here, but I personally can't tell the difference between in softness. What I "felt" was actually the sound associated with it.

However, I must say the clickier sound wasn't bad at all. Quite the contrarty, that's the sound you hear on TV when pro's are pitching around the greens and it certainly gives you the feedback you need.

In the end, feel is just a personal preference.

Design (5 out of 5)

The JetBlack finish is just badass. I love it and I'm glad Titleist offers a bunch of personalization as well. Please note that every clubhead has a slightly different shape, depending on the loft.

A tiny complaint: they forgot the paintfill in one of the stamping. Not a deal breaker, but still worthy to point out.

sm7.jpg

wedges_small.jpg

Distance (4 out of 5)

Wedges are made for precision, not distance. The SM7 are your typical blade design, so if you are looking for explosive distance, this is not the place. Compared to my old set of Mizuno's, there was no change in gapping.

Your mishits won't be masked, so you gotta hit them right to be consistent. Vokey fans are usually mid-low handicappers, so forgiveness is not their primary concern. If you got the time to practice, you'll enjoy these. Otherwise, I think you will be happier with more forgiving alternatives such as Cleveland's CB or matching wedges to your GI irons.

Performance (5 out of 5)

I tested the performance on the range and on the course.

At my home course, we got a wedge range, which was created by PGA Pro Mike Bender while training Zach Johnson for the 2007 Masters. You got concrete blocks in 10 yard gaps and you have to hit all of them with the least amount of strokes. Zach Johnson needed 50 balls to finish the exercise. Unfortunately, I'm no PGA pro, so I made the exercise a little easier: not only direct hits count, but also 2nd or 3rd bounce hits. With the easier rules, I used 77 balls to finish the exercise. About 30 balls were used between 35 and 65 yards and the rest between 75 and 100 yards. I'm sure @Shankster would love to have this in his backyard.

wedgerange1.jpg

wedgerange2.jpg

wedgerange3.jpg

On the course, I also had very good results. Consistent distances that allow me trust the clock system blindly. I still thin the ball once in a while, but that's more my own problem. Unfortunately, you won't notice the good results on my score, since my tee shots have been s*** in the past weeks. Missing my drives both left and right is penalizing me severely. Even my trusty 3W has betrayed me! Just a few weeks ago, I shot a 39 on the front 9 and a 55 on the back... but that had nothing to do with the wedges.

Final Verdict: hell yeah, buy them!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Great write-up! Not in the market for wedges but you put a lot of good in in there, thx!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Great write-up! Enjoyed it and I'm glad you had a nice & smooth fitting. Keep 'em low out there!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Thanks, guys! I really enjoyed the whole process, much more detailed and interactive compared to an iron or driving fitting, IMO.

And the testing phase, it is really encouraging to see the improvement week over week. Just waiting for the moment for all of it to click during a competitive round. Next one coming up on Sunday.

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

Great stuff, I currently game the SM6 wedges and it would be hard to go past the SM7s if I had to replace them

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Thanks guys! And just a shameless bump here and to let you guys know:

I holed-in for eagle from 99 yards with my 50* SM7 :) The rest of the round was s***, but who cares :lol:

These wedges are magical!

Sorry, but I gotta update again.

Played 9 today after work, hit only 2 GIR, but the wedges were money inside 100 yards. Got up and down 5 times and a birdie.

Wow. Great review. Picking up my 54°M and 58°D tomorrow in jet black. Hope I share your results.

WITB?

Mizuno JPX921F 4-PW, recoil 95 shafts

Callaway Epic SZ 9.5°, Hzrdus Smoke black 

Ping Glide 3.0 50,54,60 

PXG hybrid 0317 Gen 1, Tensi CK Blue

Cobra F9 14.5° 3 wood, Atmos Blue 

Great review!  I went for a fitting and ended up with: 50-12F bent to 51-13 (for distance gapping, my pw is a 46* 716 AP2), 56-14F and 60-08M.  We settled on the S200 shafts even though my irons are the original AMT's and I chose tour chrome and MCC Plus 4 grips.  These wedges are incredible and really consistent.

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT White S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸

Avg. score 85-92

I  like the look of the SM7s, the S18s, and the new RTX4s.

(I'd really like the choice of a different head shape for each wedge like the old Vokey 200 / 300 / 400 Series days, but that's not available any more,)

I played the game long enough to recognize the right look

and its viability for my skill level and shot choices

without a launch monitor or a fitter.

Factor that with the shocking fact that  I wouldn't accept the wrong look to get a stroke or two better.

That wasn't how I interacted with the game of golf.

I LOVED golf, but my relationship with golf compared to some of yours

was comparable to choosing beer league softball with my buds over a shot at MLB

because MLB looks like more fun to watch than to play,

and when I'm paying to play instead of being paid to play

fun with the crew and trusting my own judgement was paramount .

Somebody out there will understand what I mean, but back to wedges.

My first instinct would be 52-08 and 58-04,

1º flat,

non-stock but matching lengths at 35½"

Aldila NV Pro 105 new old stock if available because I'm used to it

and Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G.

I can do all of that from my laptop without even being near a golf club

because I'm old and have been around.

I don't really belong here because I can't take the SM7s out onto the track and give you a personal review of them.

I've just taken an awful lot of wedges out onto the track,

and with wedges,

the technology hasn't gone from Stutz Bearcat to Bugatti Veyron.

Great review kanioto. What an opportunity to be fit at a first class facility by a Titleist expert.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I am falling out of love with my Hogan Equalizer...I wish the TK was still in production, that less rounded shape just suits my eye better.

The teardrop look just works for my eye, Worth a look.

Thanks for the great write up.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Great review! I went for a fitting and ended up with: 50-12F bent to 51-13 (for distance gapping, my pw is a 46* 716 AP2), 56-14F and 60-08M. We settled on the S200 shafts even though my irons are the original AMT's and I chose tour chrome and MCC Plus 4 grips. These wedges are incredible and really consistent.

My PW is 45* and I do have a bigger gap there. But I've learned to swing my PW 9 o'clock to fill that slot. Is there a reason for going lighter on the wedge shafts?

Great review kanioto. What an opportunity to be fit at a first class facility by a Titleist expert.

Funny you mention that, Rob.

The Trackman seemed to be an older model and as soon as the ball went too high, it wouldn't pick up the shot. So it was half with LM and half by fitter's eye and experience. I did email Titleist as constructive criticism, but didn't get a reply. The fitter told me he had been trying to get Titleist to upgrade the LM, but still no response.

• 7 months later...

Is there any new finding after you've had them for a while? I really want either sm7s or new high toe because they both are high performing spinny wedges and I want to know if the sm7s are still performing as well as you would anticipate. 

Oops... double post.

3 hours ago, Mmoe24 said:

Is there any new finding after you've had them for a while? I really want either sm7s or new high toe because they both are high performing spinny wedges and I want to know if the sm7s are still performing as well as you would anticipate. 

They are still in my bag and shooting darts.

I was never a fan of short game practice, but after getting these... I practice the Mike Bender wedge range drill so much... almost every week. Lovin' it! So they will be in my bag for 2019 as well.