Putter How often do you change putters

John L

I have only used 1 putter over that last 20 yrs until about a month ago. I have played the Odyssey 2 ball tour filled putter since 2003 and I have loved it. Recently I bought the new jailbird mini and it feels amazing it is slightly  heavier and it is one of the reasons I changed. I have always been a good putter so the change was not to fix anything it was more about the new fresh look and the additional weight. I have noticed one thing that has taken time to adjust to and that is the alignment of puts. With the 2 ball I did not use the line on the ball I chose to use the blank spot and the 3 balls lined up was the alignment process I used. With the jailbird I am finding that i have to find a more involved alignment process It is working but that was my major adjustment.

Driver Callaway: Ai Smoke triple diamond

3&5 wood : Callaway Mavrick 

Callaway 21 UW

Irons: Callaway Rogue Pro 4-pw 

52 56 60: Callaway Jaws 

Putter: Odyssey 2 ball tour filled and recently added Jailbird Mini 

Ball: Titleist Pro V

I like putters so I change when the mood strikes, when I see something I like, or want to try the newest “tech”.  Basically some of the same reasons people on this forum change out any club that is in their bag.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Auditions ongoing 🤣

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Only when it's been bad...In fact, I've taken to leaving my entire set in the trunk of my car overnight when they've been acting up.  But, that's just me! 😎

That said, I've used the same putter for more than 10 years and am, just now, considering a switch-out. Don't fix, what ain't broke!

Just Keeping It Real...

I typically hold on to a putter for a long time.  I have decided to upgrade this year to a CB LAB DF3 from the DF2.1 but don't see that one going anywhere and will most likely keep the DF2.1

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

Infrequently. I have played three different putters over the 13 years I've been golfing. My Scotty is in a good place in the bag, but I have been tempted to dabble in the LAB sphere after seeing such success for other forum members. The Link.1 has my attention for sure.

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

In the last 15 years, save for a test of the OG Stroke Lab putter, I've used two putters primarily. The Nickent Pipe and the SIK Flo. Went to SIK in 2021 after a long hard look at some stats on the Pipe, and don't think we're making a change for another 10 years, despite being tempted.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:callaway-small: AI Smoke Max, 12*, set -1/D, Project X RDX Smoke Red 50, 6.0 Flex

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:titleist-small: Prov V1X Left Dash... for now

Rarely.  For more than 20 years I played a Ping Anser 2 Stainless with periodic Cameron and Bobby Grace usage.

For the last 5 years I’ve only tried two.  A Scotty Phantom X 11.5 and a LAB MEZZ.1.  The MEZZ.1 will only be replaced by another LAB.

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Not very often…I’m on my fourth putter in all my almost thirty years playing.  So I average a change every about every 7 years!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter