Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

One of those range sessions

sparnar

Hi guys

I went to the range last night in preparation for a two day comp I'm taking part in next weekend.

I had one of those sessions, where I could hardly do anything wrong. Iron shot after iron shot soared straight, and high.

I could even hit my 5i! And it was going like a rocket. I also realized I didn't quite have the ball forward enough with the 5i in my stance. Better ball position led to a bit higher ball flight. (I think I need to check my ball position with all clubs, the same thing, among others, was causing issues with the driver.)

As some of you might have gleaned from my other posts, driver has always been a bit of a battle for me. Last night (with the help of some alignment sticks) I hit some very good drives. I think I have pinpointed that my driver issues stem from setup and alignment. I couldn't quite repeat the same results without the alignment aids.

Anyway, this was one of those sessions where you wish there was a course open somewhere so that you can take that rhythm to the course immediately.

I hit a bucket of 85 balls (I know, I shouldn't be hitting that many balls in one session...). I hit 85 balls, and I felt like I could easily have hit another 30 or 40. Wasn't tired, or fatigued at all. Usually a bucket of 60 would tire me out, because I was trying so damn hard to kill the ball.

My swing used to have an over the top move, mostly because of the shoulders and arms starting the downswing in my uneducated opinion. This was not an effortless swing at all. This would usually tire me out very quickly.

I am now much closer to the relaxed power (credit to Tyk) type of swing.

I tried to focus on swinging the club back, and just letting it drop onto the ball (this is hard to put into words).

I even tried some 25% and 50% tempo swings, but I found that while I could limit the speed the club is taken back, I couldn't really limit the downswing in terms of speed (this was just the club dropping, gravity doing the work really).

Even on those attempted 50% tempo swings, the ball would still go pretty much the same distance. It would just shoot off the club face.

Probably much too soon to say, but I think I might have found a key swing thought for me here. This swing was effortless (hence the very little fatigue), letting the clubhead and gravity doing their work, instead of trying to force the issue.

Excited to see if I can take this swing thought to the course next weekend. Will have another session or two before then, hope to repeat the results of last night.

Last night's driving range session was so much fun, I still had a spring in my step this morning.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

Good for you! :D

I wish I could have a range session like that. I always have terrible range sessions; I'm not sure why I even go. I went on Tuesday and couldn't hit anything other than my PW. On top of that, my whole purpose was to work on driver and compare between the R11 (current gamer), the Cleveland Launcher 2009 (previous gamer), and the Adams Speedline Tech that I won in a drawing here. About half way through the testing I hit one too close to the hosel on the Adams and snapped the shaft just above the adapter! :angry:

Driver: Taylormade R11 9°, Fujikura Blur 60 S-flex

Fairway: Taylormade R11 15.5°, Fujikura Blur 70 S-flex

Fairway: Acer XDS React 18° "Machete", Fujikura Fit-On E-360 R Flex

Irons: Taylormade Burner 2.0, 4-PW, Steel SuperFast 85 R-flex

Wedges: Cleveland CG-14 Black Pearl 52° AW, 56° SW, 60° LW

Putter: Bionik 207 Nano Mallet Belly Putter, 43", Winn 21-inch Red/Black Putter Grip

Putter: Cleveland Classic #2 BRZ, Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Ball: Searching for a Penta TP replacement...

Callaway LR550 Laser Rangefinder

Archived