Number of Testers
Signup Cutoff Date:
3,120 signups
Equipment Type: Irons
Vendor: MacGregor

MacGregor Golf is back and has a new line of irons by way of the MT86 OS Irons and MT86 Pro Irons

Screenshot 2023-03-12 15.35.01.png

We can trace our roots all the way back to 1829, with the founders of the company, a pair of English immigrants and expert woodworkers, opening a factory in Dayton OH.

The company initially started as a producer of hand carved wooden shoe lasts, pioneering a new lathe-based technique for producing lasts faster and more accurately than anyone around.

From 1875 to 1897, the company began a transformation. Two new partners were brought on; John McGregor, an expat from St Andrews, Scotland and a die-hard golfer, as well as Edward Canby, who soon became obsessed with the game.

In 1897, the partnership began the manufacture of traditional golf shafts and clubs, one of America's very first club manufacturers.

MacGregor clubs proved popular with both professionals and amateurs alike, with hundreds of thousands of clubs being sold around the world.

The company emerged from the Great Depression with new ownership and management, who sought the services of the legendary Tommy Armour, who in turn brought his assistant Toney Penna, and tour pros Jimmy Demaret, Byron Nelson and Ben Hogan. This was a formidable team; during the 1950s, MacGregor was the number one club and ball on tour. 

A period of innovation and growth followed which led the company to its most iconic partnership with Jack Nicklaus. Besides dominating on the course, Mr. Nicklaus was heavily involved with the management and direction of the company, and even ended up owning the company and bringing stability after a period of mismanagement. 

image.png

Since conception, MacGregor clubs have been used to win an incredible 59 majors in the hands and bags of all time greats like Jack Nicklaus and Greg Norman.

Now, though our pedigree runs nearly two centuries, our approach is thoroughly modern. Uncompromising quality shipped direct to the consumer for simply unbeatable prices. We're here to put the MacGregor back on the map, and truly make it The Greatest Name in Golf once more.

image.png

We are looking for 4 Forum Testers (2 OS & 2 Pro) to test and keep these incredible irons!

This test is open to RH and US only Forum Members

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New to the Forum? Interested in how we select our testers and want to increase your opportunity at being selected in this or future tests? READ MORE HERE!

153 Comments

Oh Yes, I can still remember trying to hit some old MacGregor irons at the driving range when  I first started.   

I don't have to "hope" for contact anymore.  Now, I just hope the ball heads in the direction I intended.

I would really like to do a comparison of the MT86 OS with my new Mizuno 923 HL, and my Ping 425's. Very curious about the launch, ball speed, height and landing angle differences.  I hope the reviewers will give some tech data in addition to how they enjoyed playing with them.

Incredibly beautiful irons! The Pros don't have the highest forgiveness factor, but the OS should be a bit more so. I'd love to test these.

It is nice to see a prominent company from the past giving itself another life. Hopefully the clubs are really good and give the market another option. The history lesson was interesting but what is special about the clubs!!! What do they bring to the market? Looking forward to the reviews

They definitely look pretty nice!  I've been wanting to try a distance iron for awhile.  My MDD Plus irons are very traditionally lofted, so I'd love to see a little more distance.  I also hit them very high, so lower lofted clubs shouldn't be an issue to get the ball to stop on the greens.

Would love to give them a try.    I still have some old MacGregor woods and irons from the 50's ...      THANKS for the opportunity..  

1 hour ago, Willie T said:

Oh man  - these would be a blast to test and report on.  I still have the Mike Souchak TSLs that were gifted me back in the late 1990’s.  Recently regripped I still play them when in the mood to hit classic blades.  I’m game for giving these a real go…

IMG_4318.jpeg

Too cool.  I caddied in Michigan in the 60s.  Mike Souchak was the head pro at Oakland Hills back then.  I caddied for him a number of times.  He was a great guy and McGregor Tourneys were some of the most popular irons around.

REALLY looking forward to this test.  I have been excited to try these out since they were announced.  LOVE old school MacGregor irons and these MT86's have a lot of "old school" vibes in a modern package.  I think MacGregor knocked it out of the park with the visual on these.  I am betting they play every bit as good as they look.  Good luck to all the applicants!!  Welcome back MacGregor!!  

image.png

Wow, back to my teenage years!  I played MacGregors as a kid.  I still have the set of woods that I used in college.  I'd love to give these a whirl.

Would love to try these out.  Played MacGregor Tommy Armour irons when I was younger and still have them. Prior to playing my Titleist irons I was playing the MacGregor Forged PCB irons but needed something as bit more forgiving.   I was told that they are Japanese forged by Miura but not sure of that.       image.png.3a3e77d3f008cfbeeaeb9ef2a94a1d0c.png

I also had a set of McGregor irons back when Palmer and Casper were among the big names on the PGA Tour!  I'd love a chance to try out this new version of the old classics!

Welcome back to the golfing world McGregor! These are some slick looking irons and I would love to put them to the test. Fortunate to be playing several times a week now and could put them through their paces.

So is it just me or should they offer their combo pack as an option so both styles could be tested by the same player? Just me? Ok.

MacGregor clubs were a staple of the industry along with Hogans back when I was introduced to this game I am passionate about, MacGregor Persimmons, aah! I would gladly give these a try as I am interested in getting new sticks this next season!

Thanks for all of the opportunities!

I love the looks but I doubt they’re forgiving enough for my ham fisted game.  I need those super game improvement clubs!

They are very beautiful, though.

I have tried many sets over the years. The best so far was 1986 Hogan Apex square goove but was stolen with my car. Many US and Japanese sets later I am still looking for a perfect match. Let's see what happens if I am chosen.

Cheers!

Really looking forward to seeing these in action.  I used to play with an old school set as a teenager... 

This Test is now closed to further comments.