Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Nicklaus has advice for Crazy Pavin

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Jack Nicklaus insists that US Ryder Cup skipper Corey Pavin “would need a brain scan” if he leaves Tiger Woods out of the side that will defend the trophy at Celtic Manor in October.

The famously dogged American captain surprised many when he suggested on Sunday that Woods, who is currently ranked 11th and outside the top eight automatic qualifiers for the side, is not guaranteed a place in his team at any cost.

“I'm not going to treat Tiger any different than any other player,” Pavin told Reuters after the final round of the Byron Nelson Championship. “He's certainly not going to be an automatic pick. He's just going to be treated like everyone else. I'd love to have him on the team but I want him to be playing well.”

READ FULL ARTICLE: http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2010/5/26/nicklaus-has-advice-for-crazy-pavin.html

#TruthDigest

I like his stance, it's correct, let Tiger get back in shape and earn his way on the team, which he should of course. But, if he continues to not play his best golf, he could be hurting the team and it looks like Pavin has the balls to leave him off.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I doubt Pavin will be able to refuse to open a space for Tiger on the team. Tiger by himself is such a draw and the Ryder Cup needs the draw to sell air time, sponsorships and to get an audience. Any event he appears in sells a lot more tickets and is reported on. There's a reason Tiger earns the big sponsorships.

It wasn't too long ago that people didn't even know the Ryder Cup existed.

Shambles

The first time I heard Pavin say this, I was like "well, why say anything?" If he said that Tiger was an automatic, nothing would have changed but people would have been up in arms. If he said what he did, no one believes him but maybe he was trying to light a fire under Tiger, not that Tiger would really go too far out of his way to play in the Ryder Cup.

The first time I heard Pavin say this, I was like "well, why say anything?" If he said that Tiger was an automatic, nothing would have changed but people would have been up in arms. If he said what he did, no one believes him but maybe he was trying to light a fire under Tiger, not that Tiger would really go too far out of his way to play in the Ryder Cup.

I tend to agree. If memory serves me right, Tiger and a few other players once tried to refuse to play unless there was pay and was forced by his sponsors to play regardless. They saw the Ryder as an event wherein people were making money but they were not.

Shambles

Pavin is right and Jack is entitled to his opinion as accurate as that may be - but thats why there are several captains picks.

Hey it was Tiger who always remarked off handedly about playing in future team matches "i still gotta qualify".

i dont think Tiger has any issues with having to qualify, as a competitor he always earned what he got and was never handed a spot, and if he doesnt qualify he'll be the first to tell us all, that he didnt deserve to be on the team.

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

I tend to agree. If memory serves me right, Tiger and a few other players once tried to refuse to play unless there was pay and was forced by his sponsors to play regardless. They saw the Ryder as an event wherein people were making money but they were not.

Shambles

I think that was Duval and O'Meara. They wanted some of the proceeds to go to their chosen charities, instead of the charities the PGA of America chose. TW just agreed with their stance.

I read last night that Tom Watson could very well be one of Corey's picks.. Now - Watson and Woods as a pairing - that would be an interesting dynamic :)

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

Let him earn his way on the team, like everyone else, plain and simple.

Welcome back Bob!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived