Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How much will you pay for performance?

chisag

I'm amazed that despite statistical evidence that accuracy off the tee in the form of fairways hit is over rated and trivial so many are clinging to it. Accuracy in the form of penalty avoidance matters but not fairways hit. I'd gladly trade a fairway a round for 10 yards because the 10 yards will translate into half a stroke over time. That's tangible.

I doubt I would find those ten yards through equipment change but the question was if I could, would I.

Yes

In fact I already pay for performance in the form of lessons and I had a fitting last year. That was $300 right there.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Where I am right now I'd have to say no for me. I don't know that 10 yards a drive would make enough difference for me personally to do $499 but I'm also not in the market right now and that could be a big part of it. That and $499 could have a lot of other uses for me right now .

I'll put a twist on it though with a scenario. Say I had store credit or a gift card then I might give it honest consideration.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I'm amazed that despite statistical evidence that accuracy off the tee in the form of fairways hit is over rated and trivial so many are clinging to it. Accuracy in the form of penalty avoidance matters but not fairways hit. I'd gladly trade a fairway a round for 10 yards because the 10 yards will translate into half a stroke over time. That's tangible.

I doubt I would find those ten yards through equipment change but the question was if I could, would I.

Yes

In fact I already pay for performance in the form of lessons and I had a fitting last year. That was $300 right there.

"penalty avoidance" EXACTLY! I like that and totally agree! Stats like strokes gained are much more effective than fairways hit.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Yes

... Yup, I think distance with forgiveness is more important than complete accuracy. I agree you need accuracy from the tee as long as it is reasonable accuracy. But I am hitting my Epic 10+ yds farther and combined with the 5TPx adding some ore yards I have been finding the first cut or just into the light rough quite a bit. 10-15 yds shorter and I am just in the fairway but I will take the additional yards thank you. And it isn't like I am wild as I still find the fairway, just longer and finding the edges of the fairway more often. I had 2 birdies yesterday from the light rough because I hit the ball far enough off the tee to reach a par 5 in two where the lack of spin helped and on a 440yd par 4 I only had 155 in to a back pin so I was able to land it in the front/middle and have it run a little to the pin. With my old set up it has always been a 170-200 shot depending on the wind. Yesterday was a rare no wind day. 

... I missed 5 fairways yesterday, but used a DI on two I hit so I missed almost half the fairways with my driver and none of those drives hurt me as I hit the green on 4 of them and as stated birdied two of the 4. My only bogie came from the center of the fairway where I jut hit a bad iron shot and ended up on the edge of a bunker with a sandy lie. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

• 4 weeks later...

Since my whole setup didn't cost $500 I would say no.

Cobra fly z driver $140

Adams 3 wood $15

Taylormade 3 hybrid free (from buddy)

Nike VRS forged 4-G $175

Taylormade S and L wedge free (traded old driver)

Odyssey versa putter $50

Bag free (uncle)

Well I'm eating my own words here. I ended up purchasing an Epic Sub Zero last night. Although it was used on eBay and almost half of what new cost. Gotta love eBay. If you're patient enough you can find deals.

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

Heck, I'd pay a grand for a driver that flys straight. Would even give up ten yards for it.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

• 2 weeks later...

Heck, I'd pay a grand for a driver that flys straight. Would even give up ten yards for it.

Have you tried cutting it down an inch? I believe most drivers are 45.5 inches so u could bring it down to 44.5. just use some lead tape to bring the swing weight but up to where it was before the adjustment.

I did this at the start of the season and and it really helped tighten up my shot pattern. I lost about 5-8 yards carry distance.

Now this won't fix hooks and slices, but it makes your misses a little more barrable. For me, I would just be in the rough instead of under a tree.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived