Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Surprisingly inspired by an online instructor

19 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Here’s a pic of Mike and how he wants impact to look like. See the four points below for a description.
IMG_8596.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s a good one. This is the post describing what I feel during my swing. 

17F18CD3-D39D-48AD-BE58-9CDE363AF212.png

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

On 4/14/2019 at 2:58 PM, PMookie said:

Here’s a pic of Mike and how he wants impact to look like. See the four points below for a description.
IMG_8596.jpg

Not sure its a good idea to practice getting that hip pushed against the wall like that. You can post on your lead leg , if that makes it easier for you to rotate your pelvis out of the way. If you weight pressure your lead hip too much , by getting your lead hip past your lead knee/foot, it 'locks'  it . That means you will find it difficult to rotate your lead hip out of the way and you might end up  having to 'butt tuck'  into impact just like the 'stack n tilt' golf action.

Don't want to confuse and make things overly complex , but golfers can  be split into 2 groups , front foot and reverse foot types. Research found that around 30% of golfers have more weight pressure on their rear foot at impact (ie. Bubba Watson)  than front foot golfers (ie. Charlie Wi ). 

Just ensure you stay in balance when you swing into impact rather than use some conscious move to force weight pressure on the front foot  (just in case you are a natural reverse foot golfer).

Actually, you can test whether you are front or reverse foot golfer by doing one legged  and feet together swing drills . Practice swinging with all your weight pressure on the front leg , than feet together , then most of your weight pressure on your rear leg. Then check out what happens with your balance as you swing through impact. 

example.

If you are using the one legged drill with weight pressure on your lead leg , and you tend to fall backwards through impact , then you are likely to favour being a reverse foot golfer.

If you are using the rear one legged drill with weight pressure on your rear leg, and you tend to fall forwards through impact, then you will favour being a front foot golfer.

If you swing feet together and are totally in balance , not falling forwards or backwards through impact, then you probably prefer having weight pressure equally distributed on both legs through impact. 

Find the balance point that suits your own body that helps make your swing strain free and in balance.

1 hour ago, Wildthing said:

Not sure its a good idea to practice getting that hip pushed against the wall like that. You can post on your lead leg , if that makes it easier for you to rotate your pelvis out of the way. If you weight pressure your lead hip too much , by getting your lead hip past your lead knee/foot, it 'locks'  it . That means you will find it difficult to rotate your lead pelvis out of the way and you might end up  having to 'butt tuck'  into impact just like the 'stack n tilt' golf action.

Don't want to confuse and make things overly complex , but golfers can  be split into 2 groups , front foot and reverse foot types. Research found that around 30% of golfers have more weight pressure on their rear foot at impact (ie. Bubba Watson)  than front foot golfers (ie. Charlie Wi ). 

Just ensure you stay in balance when you swing into impact rather than use some conscious move to force weight pressure on the front foot  (just in case you are a natural reverse foot golfer).

Actually, you can test whether you are front or reverse foot golfer by doing one legged  and feet together swing drills . Practice swinging with all your weight pressure on the front leg , than feet together , then most of your weight pressure on your rear leg. Then check out what happens with your balance as you swing through impact. 

example.

If you are using the one legged drill with weight pressure on your lead leg , and you tend to fall backwards through impact , then you are likely to favour being a reverse foot golfer.

If you are using the rear one legged drill with weight pressure on your rear leg, and you tend to fall forwards through impact, then you will favour being a front foot golfer.

If you swing feet together and are totally in balance , not falling forwards or backwards through impact, then you probably prefer having weight pressure equally distributed on both legs through impact. 

Find the balance point that suits your own body that helps make your swing strain free and in balance.

Wild thing,

Everything that Mike Bender uses in a drill is an exaggeration. He says to make a change you have to exaggerate the move in practice drills. 

Right Handed. 

22 minutes ago, joen said:

Wild thing,

Everything that Mike Bender uses in a drill is an exaggeration. He says to make a change you have to exaggerate the move in practice drills. 

And he is also very careful to state that not every drill is applicable for every golfer. He uses those exaggerations to fix issues that someone might have by trying to get them back to neutral. No teacher is going to teach every student the same way, so to look at a still of one drill and say it's wrong or bad is absolutely missing the point. 

If you go to an instructor that teaches the same drills and the same techniques for every single player, switch instructors. While the fundamental movements and principles of the swing should obviously be the same, the path to getting there is not.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

And he is also very careful to state that not every drill is applicable for every golfer. He uses those exaggerations to fix issues that someone might have by trying to get them back to neutral. No teacher is going to teach every student the same way, so to look at a still of one drill and say it's wrong or bad is absolutely missing the point. 
If you go to an instructor that teaches the same drills and the same techniques for every single player, switch instructors. While the fundamental movements and principles of the swing should obviously be the same, the path to getting there is not.

Amen! “Preacher, preach!”

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I received my feedback from Mike today. I wasn’t expecting it to actually be him, but it was. His assessment was that I get the club to a perfect spot at the top, but that I need to get my right elbow in front, which is causing a lot of other things to occur. He videoed himself doing some drills for me to use, and, again, I was surprised that he made them specifically for me.
Everything he pointed out was easy to see was an issue, and the drills are explained simply enough to be able to go and do them. I’m excited! I definitely have some work to do!

I received my feedback from Mike today. I wasn’t expecting it to actually be him, but it was. His assessment was that I get the club to a perfect spot at the top, but that I need to get my right elbow in front, which is causing a lot of other things to occur. He videoed himself doing some drills for me to use, and, again, I was surprised that he made them specifically for me.
Everything he pointed out was easy to see was an issue, and the drills are explained simply enough to be able to go and do them. I’m excited! I definitely have some work to do!

9 hours ago, joen said:

Wild thing,

Makes sense. But what if you are a reverse foot golfer and he regards that as a fault ? Will he make you exaggerate that hip move against the wall?

Because of his golf instruction experience ,I suspect he'll probably do a physical assessment of each golfer , understand their limitations and then design drills /instruction to help improve their mechanics. 

6 hours ago, PMookie said:

Does he use 3D software to monitor your improvements? Just out of interest, for your specific swing , what is a perfect position of the club at the top of the swing? Would also be interesting to see what your before and after swing looks like in a few months time.

1 hour ago, Wildthing said:

Makes sense. But what if you are a reverse foot golfer and he regards that as a fault ? Will he make you exaggerate that hip move against the wall?

Because of his golf instruction experience ,I suspect he'll probably do a physical assessment of each golfer , understand their limitations and then design drills /instruction to help improve their mechanics. 

I suspect he assesses each golfer individually and implements the appropriate fix. My buddies all have different swing drills that they work on for their specific needs. 

Out of curiosity, which instructor uses reverse foot terminology?  I have never heard it described like that before. 

Right Handed. 

1 hour ago, joen said:

I suspect he assesses each golfer individually and implements the appropriate fix. My buddies all have different swing drills that they work on for their specific needs. 

Out of curiosity, which instructor uses reverse foot terminology?  I have never heard it described like that before. 

I think EA Tischler and Mike Adams sort of indirectly refer to it in their instruction but they use a different terminology (they call it swing anchoring). 

Here is a poor quality video (the wind sound is utterly frustrating).

The actual research data can be summarised below , but I must admit that I don't think many instructors actually take these findings into consideration when they structure their instruction lessons. Many use old conventional instruction where the norm is shifting 'weight pressure'  progressively more onto the lead leg in the downswing. The strange thing is , If you look at COM (ie. 'center of mass' , not 'center of pressure')   readings for most pros , they don't actually move their COM much, even though their COP does move around.

Marsh-Graph.jpg

BallWeighShiftOne.jpg

Archived