Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Glasses or contact lenses?

Sluggo42

I started wearing glasses in high school to see the blackboard (yes, it was a blackboard back then).  I started wearing them full time in college, including playing golf, volleyball, skiing (OTG goggles), intramural soccer (no headers), and general beer-fueled mayhem.  The only problem I had with them staying on my face was when doing some sit-on-top kayaking two years ago with no leash.  My daughter thought it would be fun to turn us over, and it was fun, until I realized that my glasses were no longer on my face.

I've worn all sorts of styles over the years, and my current frames have fairly large lenses, which makes it much easier to hit the ball.

I tried contacts for a week; I couldn't get used to sticking my finger in my eye.

I've also had glaucoma for the last decade (lost about 50% of the vision in my right eye); my ophthalmologist strongly recommends glasses and full-rimmed frames for extra protection for my one good eye.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I wear bifocal glasses, but play with contacts. Seeing the ball clearly at address and on the greens is not a problem with my contacts. However, I can't read the scorecard or my GPS device very well. I've tried playing in glasses but the bifocal lens creates problems at address because focus on the ball is slightly blurred to be irritating. No problems following the ball once hit though. I've tried carrying a pair of cheaters with me for the scorecard, but that is a hassle so I've stopped. So I just throw darts with the pencil and figure out the card after the round with my cheaters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Many thanks,

BackNine29

On 5/30/2019 at 12:03 PM, azstu324 said:

Golf was more for depth perception issues. That still is a factor today though which I've concluded is about 93% mental and 3% actual issue. For both the reasons mentioned above and the depth perception issue, I refuse to wear sunglasses golfing. 

Sorry, but I've got to ask....what's the other 4%?

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Sorry, but I've got to ask....what's the other 4%?
Oops.. forgot to proofread that one.. good catch.. meant 97%

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I was put into contact lenses in 3rd grade, which would have been 1976, because my glasses were getting too thick and they weren't really ready with the new plastics that allow a much thinner lens for the same amount of correction.  In 1997, a friend brought me a copy of a golf magazine (I can't remember which one) that had an article about Tom Kite and his experience with LASIK surgery.  That was all it took.  3 months later, I was in Montreal having mine done.  Why Montreal?  Because at that time I needed so much correction that I couldn't get it done in the US.  I believe it had been approved for correction to -7.00, but I was -10.50 and -11.00.

Two great, uncorrected years followed but my eyes have continued to change.  I wear glasses regularly, although my driver's license actually doesn't call for correction.  I wear contacts on the weekends and doing things like playing golf.  My eye doctor has fitted me with distance vision contacts in both eyes, and I wear cheap readers on top of them when I need to.  

I've got plenty of experience playing sports in glasses, in contacts, and without any correction and I can confidently tell you that you can adjust to just about anything if you give it some time.  I really like the contacts for the ability to put sunglasses on the top, and take them off for a minute or two as needed.  Whatever you choose, just give it some time before you give up on it.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Funny this thread should come up when it did.  My daughters and I went to the eye doctor for our annual exam last Friday.  I will now be moving up to the world of progressives.  I knew it was coming.  I have to take my glasses off to see anything within two feet of my face. 

Optometrist tried to scare me away from ordering progressives from Zenni.  She said I was making a huge mistake not paying her $900 for a pair of glasses I can get from Zenni for $100.  But hey, she did offer me a $100 discount on a pair of frames.

Originally tried playing progressives last year sometime. Wasnt happening. I played with my straight reading glasses for a number of months  as I was tired of switching between sun glasses and reading glasses. I eventually did contacts and Im still in the fitting phase of dialing them in. Love that I can see distance, phone apps, laser, and score card with no changing eye wear. Back to playing in my shades. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX