Glasses or contact lenses?

Sluggo42

So today I played with my new contacts I got last night. One eye is for short, the other is for long. It was weird and had some near Wiffs early on. Seemed to get better as the day wore on.

almost as weird as when I started wearing glasses, which was also difficult. Had a real hard time removing the left one and might have scratched my eye as it’s being a bit “gooey” now.

i May have to ditch this plan and get some new lenses surgically installed...

you guys wearing contacts or glasses? Was it a tough adjustment?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I have been wearing bifocals for the last 6 years or so but I only started playing in glasses this year! I have had some adjustments to make but overall it's been great. My wife and I got new glasses this year and the frames are bigger and easier to play in now so I was immediately more comfortable wearing them. I've never worn contacts so I can't comment there. I will say that this year I feel like I'm hitting the ball better but honestly that could be all in my head :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I've worn glasses since elementary school and contacts since middle school.  I don't really remember life without corrective vision.  I've spent years on the golf course with both contacts and glasses.  I ditched contacts completely about 7 years ago and will never go back.  My allergies are significantly better, my eyes are significantly more healthy, I don't look like I've been on a three day bender every morning, and I no longer get a mild headache in late afternoons when my eyes are screaming for freedom and oxygen.

I should have ditched the contacts a decade sooner!  Good luck with your process. 

I started wearing glasses full time a few years ago. Mostly had cheap lenses, this year I splurged and paid for some good lenses, and frames. Much better for everything, especially golf. My depth perception is much better with the quality lenses compared to the others.

I remember when I was a kid my parents told me never to stick anything in your eye... makes sense, I’ll never wear contacts.

5 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I started wearing glasses full time a few years ago. Mostly had cheap lenses, this year I splurged and paid for some good lenses, and frames. Much better for everything, especially golf. My depth perception is much better with the quality lenses compared to the others.

I remember when I was a kid my parents told me never to stick anything in your eye... makes sense, I’ll never wear contacts.

I should have pointed out the better quality lenses are a "must have!"  They really do make a big difference.  

Worn glasses for quite a while...tried contacts a couple years ago because I also play hoops...after really trying and the combination of not being able to poke myself in the eye to put them in, having a hard time with them sliding around and not being able to take them out and dry/itchy eyes I went back to glasses.  

If the contacts worked like I hoped I would have stuck with them but it was just too irritating.

Like @Shankster I would buy cheaper frames/lenses but then got a pricey pair from the eye dispensary with transitions lenses; they were great but I needed a new prescription.... now my go to is either Warby Parker or Eyebuydirect.  Parker is around 100 and EBD is a little cheaper.  

The entire eyeglass industry is a monopoly and it pisses me off to no end; if I had the extra $ I'd get corrective surgery.

But - to get back to your question about wearing glasses playing golf - yes, it works well for me although I've been losing sight of the ball after about 100 or so yards so I went back and told him I need a stronger prescription that allows me to see further; he understood...he's a competitive archer and did the same thing.

The only bugaboo with the glasses is getting used to the rangefinder.  Not a big deal but it can sometimes be a bit of pain looking through the opening.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS 9.5
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (6i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I wear glasses and the adjustment to them wasn't horrible. My biggest disappointment is opting out of tinted lenses or making an additional purchase for prescription sunglasses.

I've tried contact lenses as well and while vision itself was okay, I found the contacts were simply too uncomfortable. After about 6 hours of wear (sometimes more, sometimes less) my eyes were just fried and I'd have trouble with my vision for the rest of the day - even after removing the contacts and putting my glasses back on. I tried several different brands and styles of contact lenses without success.

I'm hopeful that sometime within the next 8-12 months I'll be able to have surgery done to restore my vision and no longer need glasses or contacts.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

4 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I should have pointed out the better quality lenses are a "must have!"  They really do make a big difference.  

I firmly believe this is a large part of why my eyes are messed up to begin with. At 23, I began working in a product testing environment where I was required to wear safety glasses and stare at a computer screen for long periods of time. The safety glasses were relatively cheap and disturbed my depth perception, but being young with healthy eyes made me ignorant to the potential side effects of such a combination. After having gone my whole life without the need for glasses or contacts, I was told during an eye exam that my eyes weren't even good enough to get behind the wheel of a car. I was 26 or 27... 😞 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I wear contacts through the day, and then glasses at night, once my eyes become to dry, and I’m home. I can’t play golf with glasses on, it just doesn’t work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

28 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I firmly believe this is a large part of why my eyes are messed up to begin with. At 23, I began working in a product testing environment where I was required to wear safety glasses and stare at a computer screen for long periods of time. The safety glasses were relatively cheap and disturbed my depth perception, but being young with healthy eyes made me ignorant to the potential side effects of such a combination. After having gone my whole life without the need for glasses or contacts, I was told during an eye exam that my eyes weren't even good enough to get behind the wheel of a car. I was 26 or 27... 😞 

I sit in an office and stare at a computer screen all day.  This is what I'm currently working on.

Capture.PNG.c34ca95f038acb236055355ce111e338.PNG

My eyes haven't had a break in 25 years!  I took the advice of my former optometrist many years ago.  Buy top quality lenses and don't skip out on Transitions and anti-glare technology. 

I sit in an office and stare at a computer screen all day.  This is what I'm currently working on.
Capture.PNG.c34ca95f038acb236055355ce111e338.PNG
My eyes haven't had a break in 25 years!  I took the advice of my former optometrist many years ago.  Buy top quality lenses and don't skip out on Transitions and anti-glare technology. 

Looks fun, and complex. Multiple systems on that?

I go back and fourth between contacts and glasses but until recently I always played with contacts. I thought it helped with my depth perception plus I liked wearing sunglasses to protect my eyes. This spring my allergies have got so bad I can’t wear contacts. Never had allergy problems until I started wearing contacts. I haven’t put contacts in for a few months and it hasn’t seemed to affect my game. I don’t know if it’s just a mental thing for me but I still would prefer to have the contacts in when playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wore both glasses and contacts for about 12 years and there are ups and downs to both. Contacts allow for more head movement if you're active, depth perception isn't an issue and is right on the eye so it's as close to corrected vision that you will get. Downside is that they will irritate your eyes some, and will get dust and dirt lodged behind them and often scratch your eyeball. I rode dirt bikes and snowboarded for years and would constantly get stuff stuck behind the lenses which would cause me to stop what I was doing to fix them. Let's not forget about the dreaded contact lens stuck behind your eyeball situation. Super not fun experience. 

Glasses are less maintenance but are also prone to falling off your face and depth perception was an issue for me. I couldn't wear them golfing.

I realize this may not be an option either financially or physically, but I had LASIK (PRK) about 10 years ago and it was one of the best investments I've ever made. No more hassle with contacts or glasses for sports. To this day I have 20/10 vision.. that pretty much means that if I try, I can see through walls and read people's thoughts. Knock on wood there have been no signs of degrading sight.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

Edited by azstu324

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

5 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I wore both glasses and contacts for about 12 years there ups and downs to both. Contacts allow for more head movement if you're active, depth perception isn't an issue and is right on the eye so it's as close to corrected vision that you will get. Downside is that they will irritate your eyes some and will get dust and dirt lodged in between.. lets not forget about the dreaded contact lens stuck behind your eyeball situation. Glasses are less maintenance but are also prone to falling off your face and depth perception was an issue for me. I couldn't wear them golfing.

I realize this may not be an option either financially or physically, but I had LASIK (PRK) about 10 years ago and it was one of the best investments I've ever made. No more hassle with contacts or glasses for sports. To this day I have 20/10 vision.. that pretty much means that if I try, I can see through walls and read people's thoughts. Knock on wood there have been no signs of degrading sight.

As I said earlier, I have used some form of corrective vision since elementary school.  I have never once had glasses fall off my face while swinging a golf club or for that matter, playing baseball in high school.  I would suggest your glasses didn't fit properly if you have had that experience.  Not to mention, prescription sunglasses with rubberized legs are easily accessible from Zenni Optical for $35 complete.  I have a pair but prefer my everyday glasses with Crizal lenses and Transitions.  Also from Zenni Optical for $80 to which my insurance reimbursed 80%. 

Lasik isn't an option for me given I abused the privilege of wearing contacts for a decade, wearing them for several days at a time with no break.  Ignorance of youth I suppose.  I thought I was bulletproof but most of us do in our teens and 20's.

6 minutes ago, sixcat said:

As I said earlier, I have used some form of corrective vision since elementary school.  I have never once had glasses fall off my face while swinging a golf club or for that matter, playing baseball in high school.  I would suggest your glasses didn't fit properly if you have had that experience.  Not to mention, prescription sunglasses with rubberized legs are easily accessible from Zenni Optical for $35 complete.  I have a pair but prefer my everyday glasses with Crizal lenses and Transitions.  Also from Zenni Optical for $80 to which my insurance reimbursed 80%. 

Lasik isn't an option for me given I abused the privilege of wearing contacts for a decade, wearing them for several days at a time with no break.  Ignorance of youth I suppose.  I thought I was bulletproof but most of us do in our teens and 20's.

Oh, I did forget to mention that I had to wear very light-framed glasses with low pressure stems. Being a 5-time broken nose and 2-time deviated septum surgery (due to broken nose) winner, I would get pretty severe headaches with even glasses resting on my nose so that may have been why certain activities just didn't work well with them. 

Golf was more for depth perception issues. That still is a factor today though which I've concluded is about 93% mental and 3% actual issue. For both the reasons mentioned above and the depth perception issue, I refuse to wear sunglasses golfing. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

46 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Oh, I did forget to mention that I had to wear very light-framed glasses with low pressure stems. Being a 5-time broken nose and 2-time deviated septum surgery (due to broken nose) winner, I would get pretty severe headaches with even glasses resting on my nose so that may have been why certain activities just didn't work well with them. 

Golf was more for depth perception issues. That still is a factor today though which I've concluded is about 93% mental and 3% actual issue. For both the reasons mentioned above and the depth perception issue, I refuse to wear sunglasses golfing. 

Dang, are you routinely pissing off your wife or did a sibling use you as a punching bag during adolescence?  😉

Tried contacts can't deal with them, so still a four eyes

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I've worn glasses since I was 7 or 8, started wearing contacts in college, so I've always played golf with some kind of vision enhancement.  These days, I wear my specs pretty much full time, but I wear contacts for golf.  I feel like it gives me better depth perception, no chance that the specs will slip during a swing, its better in rain, or hot days when the specs can fog up.  Having said that, most of my practice is done wearing specs, so I really don't know that the contacts give me much of an advantage.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I prefer contacts when I Golf. 

If you just got your contacts, they will take a bit of time to get used to them. What your Optometrist has done is he set you up with what is called mono-vision. Where he gives you one contact for close up vision and one contact for far away vision, this will take much more time for your eyes to adjust. Eventually they will adjust and you will not notice any differences. I would keep wearing them as much as possible until your eyes adjust to it. 

Wanted to add, I prefer contacts when I Golf. Not for any particular reason. I just prefer it. I’ve never really golfed with my glasses on so I don’t know if they would affect my play. 

Edited by Kor.A.Door

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Dang, are you routinely pissing off your wife or did a sibling use you as a punching bag during adolescence?  😉

Ha! No I actually broke my nose well before I met my wife.. apparently she had a thing for guys with busted faces..?? And as a kid, I just had a little sister.. and I was always the bigger kid around.. As funny as it sounds, I've never been in a fight... or at least a street fight. My extra curricular past, and pre-family life was competitive Muay Thai (Thai kickboxing), Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Motocross, and Snowboarding. 3 of the times I broke my nose though was in HS playing football, baseball, AND Basketball. As much as I'd love to get back into Muay Thai or BJJ, I just golf now.. it's relatively safe, the wife approves of it, and my kids don't need to be seeing me all busted up. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I’ve worn glasses since 5th grade.

I’ve had to go through two adjustments - bifocals weren’t bad but trifocals - uhffdah - swing at the middle ball and hope for the best for a month or so. Also when I went to the transitional photo grays - you know the ones that get darker or lighter based on how bright it is out.

Stick with it though, you get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

9 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I recently went through LASEK and have been incredibly impressed with the results. I am grateful that I was able to go through the procedure. I know it's not a cost effective option for people, but if you are able to make the investment, it is well worth it!

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I'm glasses all the way since I've been in progressives for the past few years. Those helped my headaches immensely, since I look at 3 computer monitors all day long. 

I used to wear contacts for hockey, but that was the only time. I have no problem with glasses.

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D7 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

I recently went through LASEK and have been incredibly impressed with the results. I am grateful that I was able to go through the procedure. I know it's not a cost effective option for people, but if you are able to make the investment, it is well worth it!

My wife had that done 5 years ago, and now she’s having to schedule a “touch up” procedure. Her eyes have went from 20/20 to 20/50. This time it’s only a fraction of the cost, so there’s a silver lining, if there is one. But she said it’s worth it 🤷‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

Wow, so many different views!

im scared to put them back in due to the near panic of not being about to get the left one out. I played today and shot well with my good old glasses. I might try to find a larger set of glasses, but for now, I’m going to go with glasses until my cataracts get bad enough, then I’ll get the new multi-focal lens implants...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Have needed vision correction since 5th grade. Wore glasses full time until I graduate high school. Have worn contacts ever since. I take them out in the evening and put on my glasses. Have reached the point that I now need longer arms to read anything closeup. Have readers at work and home, need a pair to carry around.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Neither anymore. Had Lasik don't 9 years ago. Before that I played in contacts and sometimes glasses if I didn't get up early enough. It was a tough transition with the glasses. Found myself much less consistent with those...and I still find the same to be true today when I play with sunglasses. Hence I usually take them off for shots... Except putts. I love putting with sunglasses on. I seem to see the line much better.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

21 hours ago, cnosil said:

Have needed vision correction since 5th grade. Wore glasses full time until I graduate high school. Have worn contacts ever since. I take them out in the evening and put on my glasses. Have reached the point that I now need longer arms to read anything closeup. Have readers at work and home, need a pair to carry around.

this is exactly where I am at with my vision when I wear my contacts. My eye doctor and I have discussed switching to mono vision at some point, but I’m not ready for that at this point. They do make multi focal contact lenses. I tried them 2 years ago and I couldn’t even get them into my eyes. My problem is that I always forget to carry my readers when I wear contacts. It’s so difficult trying to read the menus at restaurants. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind