Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Driver swing weight after cutting down shaft to 44.75 play length

PingMD702

I just recently picked up a Ventus Blue TR 6x for my TSr3. That shaft was 43.25 from grip to tip without an adapter. With the adapter and head it measures out to 44.75 playing length. Only strange thing I've noticed, is the swing weight of my driver. For the weight of my TSR3, I have been playing +2 gram weight (10g) but swing weight with the Blue TR is D5.5 (D6 to make it easier). I was always under the impression when you play a shorter shaft you have to account for more weight that needs to be added to compensate the length lost. I checked my driver swing weight with different weights and it revealed this:

6g D3.5 =4
8g D4.5 =5
10g D5.5 =6
12g D7.5 =8 

Since the stock swing weight is D4 at 45.5 playing length, would you go with the -2 (6g weight) or Standard (8g weight)? I understand it goes against the normal convention of adding weight to the head to bring it to the stock swing weight. Any input for would be helpful! 

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Irons: 2023 Titleist Black T100 5-PW AMT White S300 Onyx (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi Wizard Inovai 8.0 Custom with Stability Shaft Tour Black

Ball: 2022 Titleist ProV1x (yellow)

If it were me I'd start with the 6 gram weight, hit a few shots to check distance, height, dispersion, make a few note and move on to the 8 gram weight and repeat the process.

Your general observation is correct.  However depending on where in the shaft the weight is distributed simply changing from one shaft to another isn't always going to give you the same swing weight measurements.  The shafts advertised as "counter balanced", for example, have a different weight distribution along the length of the shaft than those that aren't.

The true test isn't a swing weight number, it's how the club performs and feels when you're swinging it.

Have fun experimenting and keep us posted on your results if time permits.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

7 hours ago, PingMD702 said:

I just recently picked up a Ventus Blue TR 6x for my TSr3. That shaft was 43.25 from grip to tip without an adapter. With the adapter and head it measures out to 44.75 playing length. Only strange thing I've noticed, is the swing weight of my driver. For the weight of my TSR3, I have been playing +2 gram weight (10g) but swing weight with the Blue TR is D5.5 (D6 to make it easier). I was always under the impression when you play a shorter shaft you have to account for more weight that needs to be added to compensate the length lost. I checked my driver swing weight with different weights and it revealed this:

6g D3.5 =4
8g D4.5 =5
10g D5.5 =6
12g D7.5 =8 

Since the stock swing weight is D4 at 45.5 playing length, would you go with the -2 (6g weight) or Standard (8g weight)? I understand it goes against the normal convention of adding weight to the head to bring it to the stock swing weight. Any input for would be helpful! 

Lots of things influence swing weight.  As you discussed,  length of shaft.   Other things that will impact swingweight are grip weight, lie angle,  shaft weight, and balance point of the shaft.   

I think people over obsess with swingweight;  if you are testing clubs and find the combination that works then measure the swing weight and match.   There is no guarantee that swingweight will need to be the same from club to club.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I got some numbers for y’all! Both weights felt fine and it didn’t feel like I was losing the head in the back swing! Thanks for any input!

122B003C-38EB-4106-B822-B2715AD2D63B.png

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Irons: 2023 Titleist Black T100 5-PW AMT White S300 Onyx (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi Wizard Inovai 8.0 Custom with Stability Shaft Tour Black

Ball: 2022 Titleist ProV1x (yellow)

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd jump in here instead of creating a different thread. I have installed a HZRDUS Smoke Black 59g in my Callaway X2 Hot. Golf pride MCC4 Plus (59g) from a Graphite Design Tour AD G (68g) and stock Callaway grip (unknown weight), same length shaft 44.25 with adapter. Should I be super concerned about swing weight? I was fit for the shaft but on the TSr3...

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

48 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

I thought I'd jump in here instead of creating a different thread. I have installed a HZRDUS Smoke Black 59g in my Callaway X2 Hot. Golf pride MCC4 Plus (59g) from a Graphite Design Tour AD G (68g) and stock Callaway grip (unknown weight), same length shaft 44.25 with adapter. Should I be super concerned about swing weight? I was fit for the shaft but on the TSr3...

My initial answer is I don’t know.  I say that because in my opinion players have different sensitivities to weight and as a result feel.   People immediately say you need to add weight back to the head to fix the swing weight.  I cut my driver down and it felt just fine. I can switch back to a longer shaft and not feel a difference.  I’ll reference the Otto Flex thread where people seem to be getting good performed with D0ish swing weight in the driver which is considered to be low.   I’d swing it and see how it performs, you can always add/experiment with lead tape to adjust the Sw.  The experiment will help determine the best swingweight for that setup.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG