Golf leagues

Golfweasel

Wanting to get inputs and comments from the Spy community as there will be many of you on each side of the fence. 

With golf leagues starting up soon, a big debate occurs each year during our “preseason meeting” about how handicaps will be calculated and applied.  Do you think/believe the official GHIN hdcp should be utilized for your 9 hole match or the ever questionable “league” hdcp? 

In our league we can commit to different tee boxes prior to the first half and second half sessions. We are currently using a league calculated hdcp system (not a fan).  Some players have the same 9 hole league hdcp as their 18 hole GHIN hdcp. 

Let us know your thoughts on this. Don’t hold back on your opinions!!  Thanks!

Golfweasel

I'm officially joining my first league this season. They used a league calculated hdcp system. From my understanding it creates a handicap based on your lowest 5 rounds out of 20. My buddy said that it's supposed to emulate the GHIN hdcp system, but scaled to account for 9 hole rounds. I subbed a few times last year, so I'm entering this season as an 11 or 12 hdcp. According to Arccos, I'm a 12 hdcp. So my league 9 hole hdcp is basically my actual 18 hole hdcp. I generally shoot 43-48 is my general range/9 holes. My partner is coming in new to the league as well with an 18 hdcp. So we have a huge advantage entering this season.

• Ping 425 Max 9* | Ping Tour 65 S
  • Ping 425 Max 3w+5w | Ping Tour 75 S
  • Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 4i-GW | Nippon NS Pro 950GH NEO S
  • Mizuno S23 54/10S + 58/12D | KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 W
  • Odyssey Stroke Lab 2-Ball Fang
  • Maxfli Tour X | Bridgestone e12 Contact
  • Ogio Alpha 14 | Clicgear 4.0
  • Arccos | Apple Watch Ultra

I play some tournaments that use GHIN handicaps, but I play in three leagues/regular groups that each use their own running averages - last 4 rounds to be specific. While GHIN is more accurate, and league targets will fluctuate more, it all comes out in the wash in the long run. You have a couple good rounds and you probably won’t win, and you have a couple bad rounds and you  will probably win with your next good round. At the of last year, the admin of a group of 16-20 players, summarized winnings for 2022 - and we all pretty much came out with similar $. Everyone had multiple wins, no one was shut out.

And no matter what method you choose to handicap, there will never be 100% agreement on what’s fair. You tell everyone how targets are calculated and leave it at that. I keep the targets for one league, and whenever someone complains I tell them “you can take over responsibility for targets then” - and they shut up immediately…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

34 minutes ago, Kitsu said:

I'm officially joining my first league this season. They used a league calculated hdcp system. From my understanding it creates a handicap based on your lowest 5 rounds out of 20. My buddy said that it's supposed to emulate the GHIN hdcp system, but scaled to account for 9 hole rounds. I subbed a few times last year, so I'm entering this season as an 11 or 12 hdcp. According to Arccos, I'm a 12 hdcp. So my league 9 hole hdcp is basically my actual 18 hole hdcp. I generally shoot 43-48 is my general range/9 holes. My partner is coming in new to the league as well with an 18 hdcp. So we have a huge advantage entering this season.

have fun in you league.  My only advice is to read the league rules about handicaps,  my league has a stipulation that if a new player significantly overestimates their handicap the league can make a retroactive adjustments and recompute results based on the more accurate handicap. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I've played in different leagues that utilize GHIN and Course/League specific handicaps. I've found that I personally have a slightly higher league handicap than I do GHIN handicap. The reason for this is likely because the course that utilizes league handicap is a VERY tough course. So I play a 5.5, but on 9 holes at Stonebridge I average +4 from the Blues. I like both to be honest. I've won money at both, and I've had dry spells at both.

The ONLY reason I actually prefer league handicaps is that we had a player who was a 26 Handicap in GHIN, won money basically every week, and shot 18 over to win the entire club championship. He had terrible rounds on his handicap, but always played well at our league course.

• Driver: image.png.c67e4844d8a191f8afb6a4e307a65ffa.png Stealth 8* turned down to 6* X-Stiff, Graphite Design Tour AD XC-6
  • 3 Wood: image.png.a1548764b69c6d3406f6f9f1ab1acd22.png Sim 14* X-Stiff, Aldila Rogue Silver
  • 2 Iron/2 Hybrid: Mizuno image.png.e2dedc2a71191940659367b8fac460ef.png MP-20 HMB, Graphite Design Tour AD; image.png.f066373041037bed32d08e715a7127f2.png Forged Tec set to 17* X-Stiff, Catalyst 6.0
  • P-4 Irons: image.png.d0a79f435e2331981ac11a33dd54e77a.png MP20, Dynamic Gold X100 
  • Wedges:  image.png.5e4bb78c97a6cf70133b4dfd9b768747.png Vokey SM9 50 degree 08F, 56 degree 08M and 60 degree 08M
  • My Putter: image.png.dce9f23e6ed6368fab8361d0c072c157.png B.2, LA Golf Shaft
  • Ball: image.png.0ca81de9028caab738d4428af820440f.png AVX
  • 5.3 Handicapped; Right Hander; from Salt Lake City, Utah

On 2/26/2023 at 8:05 PM, Golfweasel said:

Wanting to get inputs and comments from the Spy community as there will be many of you on each side of the fence. 

With golf leagues starting up soon, a big debate occurs each year during our “preseason meeting” about how handicaps will be calculated and applied.  Do you think/believe the official GHIN hdcp should be utilized for your 9 hole match or the ever questionable “league” hdcp? 

In our league we can commit to different tee boxes prior to the first half and second half sessions. We are currently using a league calculated hdcp system (not a fan).  Some players have the same 9 hole league hdcp as their 18 hole GHIN hdcp. 

Let us know your thoughts on this. Don’t hold back on your opinions!!  Thanks!

I just joined my communities men's league back in October and they do a really good job at running the events (which run almost year round) and with the handicap system.  I honestly don't know if they use/allow 9 hole scores.  Personally, I choose not to get knee deep in the discussions over handicaps - the opinions of which that I've heard run the full spectrum of good to bad. 

I do my best to play to rules, enter my scores into GHIN correctly, and hope that all other members do the same.  I have little doubt some "work the system" so to speak but, frankly, I don't care.  I just enjoy playing the game and the new folks I've met thus far.  The more formal competition, while fun, is secondary for me.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Our league uses a variation of the old USGA calculation except it is based on 8 of last 16 so it does not potentially take a new person more than 1 season to fully establish. With some of our other rules, especially lost balls (you and opponent agree on drop location, 1 stroke penalty and keep it moving), I would guess a GHIN-compliant hdcp would probably be a couple strokes higher for me.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Test Currently In ProgressFit For Golf 2.0

• 2 months later...

Our Friday night Quota game is based on a rolling 3 week average. You can go down only 1 point at a time but can go up 2. Tees are based on your quota. 0-7 Forward, 8-16 Middle and 17+ is back. Most of the players are in the Middle tee range. 

Driver:  :titleist-small:  TSi2 9*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6S

Fairway: :titleist-small: TSi2 15*  :Fuji: Speeder Evo III 70S

Utility: :titleist-small: T-200 3 Iron  :Fuji: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Irons: :titleist-small: 620CB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 4-6

Irons:  :titleist-small: 620MB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM9 50/08F 56/12S 60/04T

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2+ 34" 

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 #31 (Currently Ball Testing)