Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Love my new SGX. Great features, always a category leader in accuracy. The new color display is easier to read than SG5 and is overall a better tool. If you get one make sure you immediately download all updates!!!

The smartclub technology isn't available yet to everybody, and it will be USGA legal because it doesn't suggest clubs, it simply reminds you what average yardages you hit those clubs. It will also tell you if you leave a club on a previous hole!

Great product!!!

MY BAG

Driver:      Titleist 917D3 9.5, Fuji Speeder Pro Tour Spec 74 s-flex

Fairway:   Cobra Fly-z+ 15* x-flex
Irons:        Ping i25 4-PW (yellow dot), dynamic gold X100
Wedges:   Cleveland RTX 2.0 60*, TaylorMade TP EF 54*
Putter:       Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2, name stamped, II black oxide finish

Grips:        Golf Pride New Decade Midsize +2 wraps

I am a very new user to SGX and it is my first Golf GPS. You should note that not everything they have advertised is available for all the courses. For instance out of 26 courses I have loaded only 2 have hole view. Also, only 2 have inteligreen pro. They are working diligently to add these features to other courses but it is taking a while. Also, there are other problems reported over on Golf WRX I believe.

Seems like a lot of technology that we don't need. If I am 150 yards away and I pull a seven iron and am 10 yards short, I pretty much get the hint after doing this several times. Plus my wife will tell me I am all screwed up as well. Maybe skygolf should have named the new device "Sue"

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Skygolf just released the mounting bracket for the SGX. Only about 3 months after they said it would be ready, and at $30 its a pretty severe gouge, but, its out, and I ordered one!

I've been missing my caddy mounted on my Clicgear.

The SGX has functioned flawlessly pretty much all summer. Update frequency has decreased and there have been no glitches in quite some time. I'd say the SGX is ready to go and anyone holding off until they "get the bugs worked out" consider this the the "All Clear" notice from me. Of course I'm happy to answer any questions about it if anyone has any.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Hey Tyk: Have you compaired the SGX against something like the Cally uPro when you were picking it out? Just curious as there's a wicked price difference between the two right now and I was wondering if the SGX was worth the extra $200

Also, it amuses me how many other IT consultants I meet on golf forums :huh:

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I have owned a SkyCaddie for about 4 years, a SG4 and now SGX. I have demo'd a uPro, 2 years ago I think, it wasn't the same as the new model but had one of the first color screens if that sounds familiar? I played one round with it and remember thinking at the time that the color screen was no quite ready, the unit worked fine but it was hard to see in the sun. The only other unit i've used is a Golf Buddy, which was just a very basic front/center/back of the green device that seemed very accurate.

I think SkyCaddie is a bit overpriced, from thier units to thier service plans and thier accessories. But, thier devices and service are the best I've encountered, and thier customer service is pretty good. They are one of the companies that I think is worth paying a bit more for reliability and performance. My SG4 lasted 3 years and I didn't HAVE to replace it. It had some issues but still worked. SkyCaddied seems to be always pushing the technology forward and I like companies that do that. I can't wait to see what the new Club Tag technology is capable of. I suspect this is going to be a piece of technology that completely changes the way golfers think about thier swings and the game, but we'll see!

Do you think there are alot of IT Consultants here because we're the only ones that know how to use the internet? Or because we're the only one's not working?! :D

• 1 year later...

Thought I should post this update about my SGX, which will be entering its 3rd season of use. It has worked great, but there have been a few minor issues. The charging socket cover broke off, not big deal and no surprise, its a piece of rubber. More concerning was when I noticed one day that the buttons on the left of the device weren't working. I couldn't figure out why until I found that part of the back cover that holds the screws in place had broken. No idea how that happened, the fix required taking the unit apart (small hollow torx), reseating all the parts and running electrical tape down the side of the unit to hold it together! Seemed to work just fine, and hoped the tape would keep moisture out. It ran well this way for over 1/2 a season.

Then I broke the power socket alltogether. The socket came off the board inside and pushed into the device. Took it apart and considered soldering it back but called SkyCaddie first, even though I knew the device was well out of warranty. I'm glad I did this, as I was told about SkyCaddy's replacement program, which basically boiled down to $75 for an exchange of my skycaddie for a working unit! I was expecting a refurbished unit, and had no qualms about that, but the unit that arrived is almost certainly brand new!

So I can't complain. I guess part of me feels that perhaps the build quality isn't quite what it should be although the units feel just as solid as my phone. Its not like I use my SkyCaddie every day, and my phones last a year if not two with daily, more intensive use.

But I must say I'm happy with the customer service, I have no problem with paying $75 to replace a unit that is over a year out of warranty. Sure beats shelling out $300+ for a new unit.

Archived