What club should I get?

So for the past 6 months I’ve been playing without 14 clubs because I got rid of my 3 wood. I just couldn’t hit it. My highest lofted club is a 58 degree wedge. My conundrum is my gapping from my 58 to my 5 wood is pretty good. But my 5 wood has a huge gap to my driver. I’m thinking of trying a 3 hybrid or maybe go to a 60 degree wedge to be more comfortable from 50 yards and in. Anyone have any suggestions?

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

Mizuno ST Max 3 wood

PXG 7 wood with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Mizuno S23 54 and 58 degree wedges

L.A.B. DF3 Putter

49 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

So for the past 6 months I’ve been playing without 14 clubs because I got rid of my 3 wood. I just couldn’t hit it. My highest lofted club is a 58 degree wedge. My conundrum is my gapping from my 58 to my 5 wood is pretty good. But my 5 wood has a huge gap to my driver. I’m thinking of trying a 3 hybrid or maybe go to a 60 degree wedge to be more comfortable from 50 yards and in. Anyone have any suggestions?

When you are playing your typical courses, do you find you need to hit a distance between your 5 wood and driver?   Why do you think a 60 would make you more comfortable at that distance?   Why do you have to have 14 clubs in your bag if the 13 you have are effective? 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

That’s a good question. Maybe I’m being a little too uptight about gapping. And I know I could get better with my 58 closer in with practice. So it’s not like I need a new club cause I do well without 14 clubs. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

Mizuno ST Max 3 wood

PXG 7 wood with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Mizuno S23 54 and 58 degree wedges

L.A.B. DF3 Putter

14 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

That’s a good question. Maybe I’m being a little too uptight about gapping. And I know I could get better with my 58 closer in with practice. So it’s not like I need a new club cause I do well without 14 clubs. 

Gapping is important, but if you never need to hit a club that is between your 5 wood and driver then it is just wasting space.   When you’re playing, ask yourself if you need a club that does something different than a club you already have.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

56 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

What are you trying to achieve with the gap between driver and 5w?

Is it for some needed distance off the tee when driver is too much and the 5w leaves you too far back?

or is it that you are looking solely as the distance both clubs travel?

I personally don’t look at the gape between my driver and my fairway wood. The fairway wood is to cover a distance off the deck based on the courses I play. It’s basically to get me as close to the green as possible on par 5s or to keep me short of trouble when driver would get me in trouble 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 9/6/2023 at 7:43 AM, Wheelieb said:

gapping from my 58 to my 5 wood is pretty good. But my 5 wood has a huge gap to my driver. Anyone have any suggestions?

Ditch the driver, problem solved. 

Sorry, couldn't resist.  You could try the 4 wood? Just go to some demo days and try a couple of different combo's.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 4:43 AM, Wheelieb said:

If you are playing with a 58-degree wedge, then a 60-degree wedge would likely be a waste of space. Unless you had a high bounce 58 and used an ultra-low bounce 60. Then those could be completely different tools for specific shots or trouble. The downside is that low bounce high loft combo is fairly unforgiving. 

My suggestion would be to get something like a 16-ish degree 3 or 4 wood. I find those things so easy to hit, they practically hit themselves. You might want to try a lighter weight shaft or drop down a flex in the 3 wood. I felt like I needed to swing the 3 wood extra hard. Especially, late in the rounds when I started getting tired, the 3 wood became tough to hit consistently. For me, lighter weight (around 60 grams) became much easier to hit, but the ball tended to balloon. When I dropped down a flex and moved back up to around 70 grams, hitting the 3 wood remained easy and the ball started launching in the window I like to see while keeping the down range number I was looking for.

Another idea would be to play with the shaft length of the 3 wood you already have. If your 5 and 3 are the same brand and are adjustable, try using the shaft from your 5 in your 3. That could give you some idea of whether or not that might work for you. I wouldn't just lop an inch off the end of your 3 wood though. I'm not sure but that might stiffen it a bit and make it more difficult to hit.

Driver: Cobra AeroJet 9* @ 7.5* PX Hazardous Black 5.5

3 wood: Titleist 915f @ 14.25* MCA Diamana Blue R

Hybrids: Callaway Apex 17* and 21* Srixon ZX 23* driving iron

Irons: Mizuno Pro 223 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro 105R

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 52/10, 56/14, 60/14 Nippon 115

Putter: EVNROLL ER 2.2

Ball: Wilson Triad