Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Putting mat size

Now that I've put together my basic garage sim setup, I am thinking about also putting together a basement putting practice setup, which might actually be more useful over the winter than working on my full swing.

I am looking at the Birdieball indoor mats.  They come in a myriad of sizes, from 2 to 6' wide, and from 10 to 30' long. I am definitely looking at either 3 or 4' wide, and between 10 and 14' long. The prices vary wildly, though, when you add just one or two feet. So I'm curious if others have feedback on what size is really necessary for a useful setup. My sense is that, as a high handicapper, I'd be very happy sinking more 8-10' foots, so that may be enough for now!

PXG 0211 driver, 5w, 6i-PW, GW, SW; Titleist H1 4h; Odyssey White Hot mallet.

The question is what do you want to accomplish?  If you just want to work on technique and start line you don't need a mat or a short mat will work.  IMO, the problem with the mats in the 8-10' range is that you can basically work on one putt that you will seldom see on the course.   Ideally you want to be able to work on speed control; which is probably the most important skill in putting, so you need as long of a space as possible....30' would be good. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Since a 30' mat is out of the question for most people, do you think there's value to practicing such putting on standard house carpet? Obviously the speed and quality of the roll will be entirely different than on the course, but is this sort of training useful still by teaching you how to adapt to different putt lengths?

PXG 0211 driver, 5w, 6i-PW, GW, SW; Titleist H1 4h; Odyssey White Hot mallet.

1 hour ago, elight said:

Since a 30' mat is out of the question for most people, do you think there's value to practicing such putting on standard house carpet? Obviously the speed and quality of the roll will be entirely different than on the course, but is this sort of training useful still by teaching you how to adapt to different putt lengths?

as long as it isn't too fast or slow I think there is value.  As you build your putting skills,  speed quickly becomes the most important aspect to focus on.  Setup and startline can be practiced without a mat. 

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 11/1/2023 at 4:29 PM, elight said:

Now that I've put together my basic garage sim setup, I am thinking about also putting together a basement putting practice setup, which might actually be more useful over the winter than working on my full swing.

I am looking at the Birdieball indoor mats.  They come in a myriad of sizes, from 2 to 6' wide, and from 10 to 30' long. I am definitely looking at either 3 or 4' wide, and between 10 and 14' long. The prices vary wildly, though, when you add just one or two feet. So I'm curious if others have feedback on what size is really necessary for a useful setup. My sense is that, as a high handicapper, I'd be very happy sinking more 8-10' foots, so that may be enough for now!

@cnosil is correct.  Setup, alignment, start line and stroke consistency can be performed on any mat or smooth surface.  A longer mat is needed for getting the feel for lagging distances.  Unfortunately, most of us don't have the space for a long mat.  

I have a 4'x12' putting mat in my hitting bay, and it's nice to spend time there.  The speed is very similar to the greens at my course, so that's a plus but I do wish I had a little more distance to work with.  You have to remember that just because my mat is 12', I don't have a 12' putt.  I have a cup on each end of the mat and there is 15" past each hole for runout before the ball hits a wall, and I need space at the other end to make a stroke.  So, in effect the longest putt I can make to a cup is 9'6".  

On practice days at my course and before every round, I spend most of my putting green time focusing on various length putts from 10-25 feet.  I only use two balls and vary the distance on every attempt.  I don't like making the same putt over and over to the same hole... unless I'm working on alignment.   By varying distances I get a better feel for judging speed.  Once, you are confident that you can start the ball on your intended line and repeat your stroke, then being able to control speed becomes critical.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'd love to have room for a 15-20' mat, but my experience suggests there are still benefits to be had with something shorter. I've been using a smallish mat, max putt distance ~7.5', most of this season. It's one of those kidney bean shaped surfaces with three holes, so you can come at things from different angles. I walk past it multiple times/day, and I often stop for a minute or two and hit a few putts. My main goals have been to 1) build a consistent smooth stroke with quiet wrists and a good follow through, 2) get so I can better hit my intended line, and 3) mix in some non-block practice benefits with the sporadic mini-sessions.

It definitely has paid off. I'm missing a lot less from 5 feet and in, and making more in the 5-12 foot range and beyond. It clearly can't help me read greens better 😉 , but a smoother stroke/follow through, and less pulling/pushing, have paid dividends. I also think a more consistent stroke and follow through help at least a little on the distance control, but I wouldn't argue that one too vigorously.

On 11/1/2023 at 6:29 PM, elight said:

Try the BirdieBall PuttUp - forum review here.  It is the best of  both worlds - more distance in less space.  I’m unrolling mine now for its fourth winter season.  I noticed it’s no longer on their web site. If it’s of interest drop them an email and ask about it - you never know if there may be one sitting in the warehouse even if they discontinued the product. BB has fantastic customer service. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)