Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2020 Official Member Review: BirdieBall PuttUp

GolfSpy MPR

puttup.jpg

While the advanced stats takeover of golf has undermined the old adage, "Drive for show; putt for dough," it's still true that putting makes a huge difference in our scores. A hot flatstick can keep a mediocre ballstriking round from going completely off the rails—and can turn a solid round into the best round of your life.

And while we all want to dial in the short range putts (that are relatively easy to practice indoors), how can you practice lag putting the long one's in your house? BirdieBall thinks they have an answer, with a mat that simulates the needed force for longer putts.

We've got six members here who are put BirdieBall's newest matt, the PuttUp, to the test. Follow along here as they see if practice will make perfect!

@Chip Strokes | Review

@LeftyHawk | Review

@Manimal26 | Review

@txgolfjunkie | Review

@WaffleHouseTour | Review

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Before I dive in, I’d like to thank everyone at MGS for the opportunity to be a tester here on the forums.  I’m relatively new here, so having the chance to add to all of the great reviews the site is known for is something I’m really appreciative of.  I’d also like to thank BirdieBall for supplying a great product.  If they knew the unqualified hands it would eventually end up in, I’m sure they’d have sent one less over to MGS HQ.  Too late now, let’s get into the review.

My name is Joe, and I’m from Queens, NY.  In addition to being new to the forum, I’m also really new to the game of golf.  My dad picked the game up about 10 years ago, and I’ve been brushing him off for almost as long as he’s tried to get me out on the course.  Finally, in July of this summer, with covid literally shutting down any possible excuse I could have given him, I tagged along to the course with his old set of backup clubs in tow.  During the month of July, we played 23 rounds of golf.  I’ve been kicking myself since then for not listening to him sooner.

Despite being brand new to the game, I picked things up fairly quickly.  I’m a life long athlete, so I really enjoy the challenge of learning any new sport.  That’s not to say that there aren’t weak areas of my game.  Putting is definitely one of those areas, and that’s why I threw my name into the mix for the BirdieBall PuttUp mat.

First Impressions:

Did I order a mini fridge?!  The box that showed up was HUGE!  To be fair, I’m not sure what size box I though was appropriate for a 4’ x 10’ mat, but I was definitely caught off guard.

IMG_4348.jpg.eb0cd60a8156510b083f4a4f1102ba37.jpg

Quality of Components (10/10):

Here’s everything that came in the box.  It seems like a lot, but pretty quickly you realize that everything has a purpose, and the mat goes together really easily.  I didn’t time it like @txgolfjunkie, but I doubt it took me any longer than 10 minutes to get everything set up.  And that was with trying to convince my dog that the bumpers weren’t tug of war toys.

IMG_4350.jpg.c9412163b8f470718ae7fb8f121a74c6.jpg

IMG_4535.jpg.9b25a40b2683a7b4ade980561e35dd0d.jpg

It’s an oversimplification to say that the mat is really well made.  Everything that came with the PuttUp was well designed and of high quality, even the mat brush was made of nice wood.  The mat really looks and acts like a putting green, right down to the nap on the foam and the temporary depressions from footprints.

IMG_4355.jpg.02a0e19f2741b97a3611950750097937.jpg

Ease of use (10/10):

Some of the other testers went in to detail about getting the mat to lay flat, so I’ll save you all reading that again.  I rolled a few putts as soon as I set it up, and the mat was good to go right away.   I decided to let it “settle” overnight and not get my first practice session in until the following day.  That was probably unnecessary; I think this is basically ready to go right out of the box.

IMG_4354.jpg.7d1c0b03fe45bdccf07339fea2454755.jpg

Right away you can see what the mat is meant to do.  The five holes set at different depths on the ramp are meant to simulate putts at various lengths.  Now I’m no scientist, so I can’t say that the 14ft hole plays exactly like a 14ft putt, but I can definitely say that the longer targets required more pace than the shorter targets.  Also, with the ramp removed, the holes all played shorter.  So I think in that regard, BirdieBall lived up to their claim of allowing you to practice putts of varying lengths.

Basic Characteristics (16/20):

Let’s start with the good here, because there’s a lot of good.  The PuttUp is a really well constructed putting mat.  With the option of either leaving the ramp in or taking it out, the limits on the ways you can practice putting are really up to your imagination.  I played around with short putts, long putts, breaking putts, gate drills, putting from corner to corner, basically anything I could think of. 

I settled pretty quickly into a practice routine.  First I’d roll 10-20 short putts using my sand wedge, focusing on striking the middle of the ball, then another 10-20 from the same distance with my putter.  From there, I’d scatter balls around the mat and hit five at a time to each hole.  Once I made five in a row at one hole, I’d move to the next. 

For all the good aspects of the PuttUp, there are a few areas I took issue with.  First of all, I think there are too many target holes.  Five targets spread across four feet is pretty busy.  Imagine looking down the line of a birdie putt, but three of your buddies are standing around the hole. 

A second issue that comes with too many holes is that the 16ft target is all but useless for righties, since you’re either standing off the mat, or half on and half off, depending on your setup.  I ended up only putting to the 16ft hole from across the mat.  I think three targets would’ve been a lot better.  I could’ve done without the “challenge cup” which I barely used at all, and then BirdieBall could have targets at 12, 15, and 18 feet.  In my opinion, you’d get the same desired effect with much less clutter at the target end of the mat.

Like I stated before, I had the mat set up in my basement, on medium pile carpet.  The other testers and I were discussing flooring in a group thread, and the consensus was that the mat works best on hard flooring.  @WaffleHouseTour even built a base for his mat because it was going to be set on carpeting. 

For the sake of testing the mat under conditions that other people might find themselves in, I decided not to lay down a base under my mat.  I can say pretty confidently that the soft carpet didn’t affect the roll of my putts at all.  Everything rolled straight and true (unless I added break) and I had no issues with the mat bunching up. 

What I did experience, however, was that the mat tended to “walk” over the course of a practice round.  From me walking around on it, retrieving balls and setting up different putts, I’d find that the mat would end up several feet from where it started over the course of my practice session.  This wasn’t a huge deal for me, I’ve got enough space where the mat is set up, but for someone with more limited space setting this up on a carpet, constantly moving the mat back into position could be a little annoying. 

My final, and smallest, issue with the mat has to do with the little plastic flags that go in each cup.  On one hand, they’re great because you don’t have to bend down and pick your balls out of the cup.  But on the other hand, I had this happen to me enough to make note of it here:

On Course Performance (25/30):

The five point deduction is mainly because this still largely remains to be seen.  I’m writing this review a few days before I likely play my last round of golf until the spring.  From what I have seen on the course, though, my putting is much improved.  As a high handicapper, touch on the greens was a big struggle for me this season.  I had a lot of three putts where I left the first putt way short then blew the second putt five feet past the hole.  In the rounds since practicing with the PuttUp, I’m three-putting way less, and my lag putting has improved tremendously.  Also, my comfort level with the putter in my hands has gone way up.  I can attribute that to the hundreds, if not thousands of reps I’ve logged over the last six weeks or so.  Without the PuttUp, that would’ve been a few dozen lazy putts on the area rug in my dining room.

Miscellaneous (10/10):

BirdieBall did an awesome job of getting these mats to us FAST.  I think I had it within a week of being selected for testing.  They also paid a lot of attention to little details as well.  Included in the box was crazy glue to make sure the flags stayed secured to the cups, instructions for maintaining the mat, and a very nice brush for keeping it clean and rolling true.  I can also say that the PuttUp has made me a better, more thoughtful husband.  Since I have the mat set up right in front of the laundry room, i've been offering to help change out loads and fold clothes a lot more.  A golf-related purchase the wife will love? Can't beat that.

giphy.gif

Keep it or trade it? (18/20):

I’m definitely keeping the mat.  The only reason I’m taking two points off is that now I have to build a base for it.  The mat has a permanent home in my basement. Other than that, it fits perfectly where I’ve decided to set it up and it allows me to spend a lot of time working on my putting at home.

Conclusion:

The PuttUp definitely lives up to the claims from BirdieBall.  It’s a well built, quality putting surface that allows you to practice a wide array of different putts at home.  If you’re limited on space, this might not be the mat for you, as it’s pretty big.  But if you’ve got the room to spare, then you can’t go wrong here.

Final Score: 89/100

Thanks for reading along!  I'll update this thread as I continue to practice all winter, and definitely come the spring when i've got more on-course feedback.  Feel free to shoot me any questions!

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

My revew on the Birdie Ball Putt up will be a little different fro the rest. I plan to focus more on the preformance of the mat as opoosed to set up and such. Mine is set up on my basement floor which has slight inconsistances which I will go more into later.

My story;

I've been chasing the little white orb since the late 70's. Yes, I started with "Real" wood woods and a set of irons that were ill fitted for me. Still with absoultly no instruction, no internet or YouTube to help, I grabbed some balls and headed to the range. Those early years I really sucked, I was a real hot head and wrapped many 5 irons around many trees. In 2000 after leaving golf for many years I decided to become a student of the game. Found a book by Sam Snead tiitled "Golf begins at 40". Long story short I quickly learned that a huge key to lowering scores is putting. Thats when my never ending search(until now) started for a realistic, fun to use putting mat.

After I set up the BirdieBall Put up mat I knew right away this mat was far and above anything I have purchased over the years about a dozen of them). I quickly learned that hitting balls stright at the holes, while excellent for speed control, became a bit boring. This mat is FAST !! I didn't get a chance to measure the greens at my home club, but I can say for certin that the Putt up is faster, which is not a big deal because greens at any course change on a daily basis. What it has exposed is my alighnment, what I thought was aimed correctly was, in fact NOT. So all my pratice is pretty much from the center of the mat from different distances at each of the holes, some break left, some brek right, some a little, some not at all. 

So, over this winter (2020) my plan is to pick 1 putter to focus on and zero in on aiming and direction of putt.

Another use for the putt up mat is the ability to work on my chipping. The past few winters I've been chipping into a net, not the most enjoyable way to pratice chipping. With the BirdieBall Putt Up chipping is actually fun, especially when you hole out.

As you can see, chipping is kinda fun and a nice change from putting.

This mat is addicting, you may step up with the intent of putting a few balls, that's how I usally start, a half hour later I'm still at it with my wife calling for me to return up stairs.

As for my basement floor, it is a long way from level, poured somewhere in the late 40's. With past putting pratice mats I have purchased in the past the basement floor always posed a problem , nothing was stright. With the BirdieBall Putt up the floor is not an issue. The mat is thick enough that the humps and bumps in the floor have no affect on stright putts. A real pleasure when compared to the mats of the past that never went stright.

Like most of the reviews I've read, one of the main concerns when standing on the mat was foot impressions. I can report that you will not leave dents in teh mat from your feet, much like a real green they will be there for a few seconds, but the mat will return to "normal" with no lasting affects from where you were standing.

I know the BirdieBall Putt Up mat has a bit bigger price tag than most of the other putting mats out there, I've paid as much as $200 for one, the BirdieBall Putt Up mat is worth the little extra it will cost you. 

So, all in all I would give this a solid 10 out of 10 on every catagory. If you've been thinking about getting a mat, get this one! Hands down it's the bast mat, bar none, that I've ever owned.

Chris

Edited by LeftyHawk

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

[placeholder]

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

I’ll keep this intro brief as we all know the good stuff is in the review…my name is Shane and I live in the northern ‘burbs of Houston. I’m pushing 40, have two young boys and another girl on the way. I golf about twice a month and practice when I can.

I haven’t kept an official handicap since 2019 but my Garmin Golf and Arccos Caddie App have me right around a 0.5 hcp. My scores are normally 72-76 with the occasional round closer to 70 if the putter gets hot. I play about twice a month and while I used to practice weekly, thanks to Covid, my favorite practice facility turned private. Now I have to be creative when/where/what I practice.

My golfing ‘ah-ha!’ moment was in a PGA Qualifier about seven years ago and made it to the final qualifier. I was paired with Eric Axley and Michael Lietzig. Both were straight off the tee, threw darts with approach shots, but Michael could putt his balls off. Every putt was makeable within 30 feet for him. Eric dropped out after only being -1 thru 13 (-7 got you in a 4-for-2 playoff that day) but Michael then one-putted every green coming home to shoot a 65. Ever since then, I’ve tried to figure out how to properly read greens and get the right speed on just about every putt.

This past year was spent rolling a ball off a 48” ruler to ensure I was getting the ball down the line. I neglected the speed aspect of putting and it showed this summer and fall. The timing of this product test couldn’t have come at a better time!

First Impressions

Before I even unrolled the mat, I couldn’t believe how big the box was sitting on my front porch. I thought maybe it came with a free mini fridge or staff golf bag. Nope. The mat, wedge incline and all the components filled up the box just nicely.  951036038_BBPUBox.jpg.d4e8b0b2f9a6456df4a1f34c8bb02e8d.jpg

687698818_BBPUBoxInside.jpg.880ea2ee279087f4a1e96d20856486f1.jpg

This isn’t your ‘throw it down, practice, roll it up and go’ piece of equipment. It does take some time getting things organized/setup so this mat is probably best served to those who will have it out for extended periods of time. I'll explain in further detail under 'Ease of Use'. 

On to the reivew...

Quality (8 out of 10 points)

This mat has seen its fair share of abuse from my two sons. The oldest like to drive his trucks on it while my youngest likes to use it as a teething toy. The green fibers do fall out if you have a lot of friction on it, but it hasn’t been anything severe or one that effects putting. My oldest did manage to take his junior putter, turn it to have the toe pointing down and strike the putting surface like a hammer. There’s a small puncture mark as seen in picture below:1903991158_BBPUPuncture.jpg.c67def8e5200abeb0d75b678067bfaa4.jpg

It should be noted that this is the ONLY mark I've seen on the mat. Otherwise I've been impressed by the quality and durability.

The mat base is a closed cell foam that quickly recovers to its original shape. With that being said, it does have some give to it and you will see foot prints in the green. Fear not, any impression in the mat disappears rather quickly, almost as if *gasp* you’re on a real putting green. I’ve included a video showing this process but watch how quickly the footprint disappears.

There’s a subtle rise in the mat from being rolled up in storage. You can see it towards the end of the mat. It does take a little longer to flatten out, even when you attach the bumpers, but I usually have to step on it a few times to work itself out. Here’s what I’m talking about1094707378_BBPURidge.jpg.33da24baa757360282cbeba16d3ccf31.jpg

After a few minutes, you can see in the video there's still a slight rise in the mat. 

However, after about fifteen minutes, the surface is completely flat. 

Ease of Use (8 out of 10 points)

The first thing you need to do is READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. My initial reaction once I opened the box was to lay down the incline, throw the cup bases down and put the mat on top. After a few minutes on the mat, I noticed it was sliding around and the holes were no longer aligned with the incline. And that was my ‘ah-ha’ moment. Read. The. Instructions. I was initially confused by the hole cups and the designated liners, but after reading the instructions, it all made sense. When they are all properly installed, including the bumpers, the mat doesn’t move around. Problem = Solved.

From unpacking the mat to stroking the first putt, it takes about seven minutes (main reason why I deducted points on this section). While it’s not fast, it isn’t too much time given all the components and hole liners.

1086454805_BBPUInventory.jpg.d8ec146f33ef91ac8068ec9e95fc7eb6.jpg

Yes, I did time my assembly from start to finish and I will say you will need to add an additional minute or two in order to respond to your wife when she asks why you have to set this up during dinner time. Hey, duty calls, babe. 

11609580_BBPUSetupTime.jpg.ac1e167f8edacec8f0db4dca5694d931.jpg

Once the mat is ready to go, it’s open season on putts. Straight, breaking left, breaking right, short, long…it’s all available at your disposal.

Basic Characteristics (20 out of 20 points)

This site was created in lieu of all the outlandish claims made by club companies years ago. To build on that, I’ll exam BirdieBall’s claims on their website and fact check them based on my experience:

Claim: Practice multiple putt distances on one matt.

Verdict: True. There’s ample length and multiple holes to practice different length of putts.787350939_BBPUOverhead.jpg.6d3a1f7e333693d1c3c476a49c551c7d.jpg

Claim: Simulate the true roll of a natural putting surface.

Verdict: True. The fibers really do a good job emulating a real green surface. And as strange as it sounds, I don’t hear a big difference in auditory feedback with this mat as compared to outdoors. I don’t know if the foam base has something to do with it but that was one thing I enjoyed. Who knows, that could all be between the ears and nothing substantial to it.

Claim: Have missed putts returned to you down the ramp.

Verdict: TBD. I really wouldn’t know because I don’t miss putts.

giphy.gif

Claim: Practice with up to 44 golf balls at a time.

Verdict: True. 

Claim: Perfect your distances and speed control.

Verdict: True. More on that in the next section. 

On Course Performance (30 out of 30 points)

I tend to get aggressive on greens and practicing the past 6 weeks on a mat that runs faster than an 11 on the stimp has actually been quite beneficial to one key stat: much fewer 3 putts due to distance control. According to Arccos since practicing on the PuttUp my putting stats show I’m getting half a stroke gained putting compared to other scratch golfers. But the biggest factor for me is how infrequent I three putt. I'll take that all day, every day.  

1810364252_BBPUArccos.PNG.0253ff219e64061e79075ac9f8b91709.PNG

When you practice flat putts, you can relax the mind a bit on getting the right line and focus solely on speed. Getting consistent speed means, in my book, paying attention to the length of your back stroke. I observed how far back I was taking the putter back for a certain length of putt. I try to repeat that same stroke and tempo and before you know it, you have in your head that a 10’ putt means your backstroke is 5” in length. Simple enough, right? Here’s my setup:

It's not perfect but it's a good basis for the course. 

Miscellaneous (5 out of 10 points)

Here’s what I ultimately like about the mat:

• The wide range of putts I can practice
  • Easy to setup/tear down…once you read the instructions
  • Added weight from the bumpers to help reduce uneven surface
  • Feels like putting on a real green
  • The pins make ball retrieval a lot easier

Here’s what I think I could do without or change:

• Fewer holes. Two, maybe three max. 
  • Marks on the mat to designate length from hole
  • Sturdier bumpers that are easier to apply.
  • Prefab hole liners.
  • Lower price point. See Conclusion section.
  • I would like a separate stance mat when you need to stand off the green to practice a certain putt. Standing off the mat can cause the lie angle on the putter to flatten out. Yes, that’s ticky tack on my part but I noticed the subtle change. I left the bumper on for this video just to show if you have them on, your stance might be right on top of it. 

Keep It or Trade it (17 out of 20)

This is a keeper simply because it fits my current space, it’s durable, it stores easily, it returns to the original shape in a hurry, and I’m seeing benefits out on the course. I deducted three points because of all the flack I’m getting from the wife about the size of the BirdieBall box stored in the garage. I know, right?!? The ol gal just isn’t used to seeing something so big.

Conclusion (TL; DR)

Performance wise, this is a fantastic tool to practice putting indoors. It really does live up to the claims. However this mat is $349 which happens to be $100 more than if you bought a standard 4x14’ indoor BirdieBall mat. For that extra Benjamin, you get an incline that allows you to practice putts a few feet longer in length. Is that worth the extra cash? That’s something you have to answer regarding your budget and space available for practice. While I was fortunate enough to be selected for the test, I know some folks will balk at the price tag. Regardless if you buy a standard BirdieBall indoor mat or a PuttUp, BirdieBall makes one hell of a product.

Final Score: 88 out of 100 points.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Introduction

I’m Christopher from Iowa – where my course has been covered in snow twice already.  20201111_163914.GIF.0611d757292233848349fca36e5c3af4.GIF

I picked up the sticks late in life, when I was thirty, and I’m 53 now. I belong to Whispering Creek in Sioux City, and the Prairie Club out in the Nebraska sand hills.  GHIN says I’ve posted 87 rounds this year and have a 7.8 index – a personal best. 

I’m a member of #PushCartMafia that really enjoys course architecture.  That appeals to the right side of my brain.  I was also an early adopter of the Arccos system and play one length irons – so the left side of my brain is engaged as well. 

I’ve never been a long ball hitter. I have to chip and putt to score.  When I have time to practice it is spent working on my short game rather than full swing.  But honestly – not much time putting.  It is mostly 50 yards and in with pitches and chips. I don’t often go to the practice green to putt for thirty minutes.  When I do, I play “Two Putts around the World” where I try to two putt my way around the five holes on our practice green.

That changes NOW.

#ArccosKnows (sorry…) that in the previous 50 rounds before the BirdieBall PuttUp arrived I averaged:

• One Putt 22% of the time
  • Two Putt 65%
  • Three Putt 13%
  • 34.2 Putts Per Round
  • 1.9 Putts per hole
  • 2.11 Putts per GIR. 

Clearly waaaaay too many GIR putts.  A personal observation – I leave it short.  A lot.  That is why the PuttUp is so interesting to me.  If I’m short too often – will this help me get the ball to the hole?   With limited space, I can practice an 18 footer. 

IMG_6495.JPG.4ed59ace633b8f23bf6cc8eee568e93c.JPGIMG_6494.JPG.2908d33e506a18a8eab9fccdfe38b567.JPG I currently switch back and forth between a Scotty Futura X with extra weight as my spring/fall putter, and an Evenroll 7 for peak season when the greens are rolling. 

I use a claw/pencil grip working on a pendulum straight back, straight through motion. 

Lastly, a big thank you to MGS for affording me this opportunity, and BirdieBall for providing the mat.

First impressions – Big.JPG.f18b02e641ef5250c830b5dd3c6eacb7.JPG

It is BIG!  I mean it is “you can’t keep that in the living room” says She Who Must Be Obeyed size big.  I have been using a Putt Out mat, seen here for comparison.   I knew 4x10 was big – but knowing it and seeing it are two different things.  I retreated to the spare bedroom in the basement where I laid it out on three sheets of quarter inch plywood for a firm base.

Plywood.JPG.6c5fd9e5fe3138fabe5452793dfd8491.JPG

It is FAST! Double cut and rolled for the club tournament fast.  I tried to get a stimp reading – its rolling up to 16…  I reached out to BirdieBall via email and the CEO/Founder called me that afternoon (impressive customer service).  Yes its fast – they want missed putts to roll back to you.  They believe that’s what the marketplace wants – and when you look at their competitors that’s probably true.  Personally, I’d prefer something like a 12.  More on that in a minute. 

turf.jpg.34cc50b278ce721269f8b666a6f425f0.jpg

It feels like a real green – the sponginess of the turf, the little nubs or tentrils really mimics real grass on a real green.  The roll is true.  No bumps or bobbles.  Unlike another mat I have, it won’t develop any sort of groove or wear line.

Quality of components (10 out of 10 points) 

Short answer – they thought of everything.

You can see in another of my posts, I am taking this mat back and forth from my home to a Staybridge Suites where I travel for work.  I kept the original box for storage and transportation.  The green flattens outs nicely. All the components come apart and fit back together without any wear or tear showing.    Someone had asked a question in the thread earlier about how well the holes held up – and so far no sign of damage.  

Everything in the box has a purpose. The bumpers help hold it flat and ensure a good transition up the ramp.  The “fifth hole” that you see cut in the center uses an upside down cup to hold the mat in place against the ramp.  It also serves as a challenge hole – more on that below.  While I personally don’t like the looks of the cup sleeves indicating the extra distance, their purpose is holding everything in position – keeping the holes lined up.  In turn, by holding everything in place the mat essentially must lay flat – the holes won’t line up if the mat curves.  So using the ramp, bumpers and hole sleeves – the mat flattens out pretty quick.  

IMG_6390.JPG.bbb9754dc84e359618daac4b729b4875.JPGIMG_6391.JPG.7841db5b7eb60263effbd8289457e8bf.JPGIMG_6397.JPG.a6c74d4721b246127a047262f03f7b89.JPGIMG_6392.JPG.676faa60b96e699bc76ef6388f210604.JPG

flags.jpg.a223b2d661ebb72e318178e71a82029f.jpgAt first I was not a fan of the little flag stands – I thought they were cheesy.  But after dropping two dozen balls into the cups – yeah, I don’t need to bend over any more than I already am.  Good idea.

It is a well made and engineered product.  I’m trusting the engineers know their physics…

IMG_6491.jpg.bb7504c5cabf1f2fe571e229c5c56dfa.jpgWhile the green is 10’ long – you are not putting edge to edge.  For example – my routine is to putt off my Pelz Tutor to the +4 hole.  I place the ball 8” from the back edge of the mat – just enough to give me a stance.  It is then 7’ 11” to the +4 cup.  In my mind at the +4 cup I’m putting to something 11 feet, 11 inches away 7’11” +4 = 11’11”.  BirdieBall says that cup is designed to simulate a 14’ putt – so there is some physics and math in determining how the rate of the slope equals 14’. 

I wanted to do a test with the stimp meter, but as I reported before, its too fast for me to really know.  Everything rolls all the way to the end.

Ease of use (10 out of 10 points) 

The best thing about this mat is its versatility.  You can practice short putts without the ramp, or medium putts or long putts with it.  With the width you get to stand on the green and can putt to multiple targets. I slide a magazine under it to create some break.

There is virtually zero maintenance.  Its not like it needs to be mown…

Basic Characteristics (17 out of 20 points)

My goal was ten minutes a day.  Well, I find myself doing more than that.  Sometimes I wander in just to roll a few for five minutes.  Sometimes I come out much later.  

I started this endeavor with a particular problem.  Under pressure I pull the ball.  This is why I went to the claw, and it’s helped, but I have a consistent miss.

IMG_6489.JPG.0b21b02183cd6f5e543c42344000556e.JPGMy go to aid is the Pelz Putting Tutor, so I’m using it here as well.  I’m proficient at starting the ball on line when I’m trying to sink a 3 footer – but the farther away from the hole I am, the more force needed to get the ball to the hole – the more likely I am to pull the ball.  Ie., the longer the putt, the more likely I send that marble rolling across the mat.   Something I also really like about the Pelz Tutor, helps ensure your eyes are directly over the ball.  I also tend to let the ball slide too far forward in my stance, so working on that as well. IMG_6346.JPG.74e783bcc11f22c1f6b5e46c5cc09f49.JPG.32f267b4b1c4064a76a460de74af034b.JPG

You can’t use the Pelz Tutor for an extended time on your course’s practice green – unless you want to stand on a towel to protect the turf from heatstroke.  But with the BirdieBall – it has been in the same place for days.  No need to move or re-aim.  

This has been a great way to practice.  The green is sufficiently wide enough, and presents enough targets that I can grind on the Tutor until I’ve filled the +4 cup, then I can drop another two dozen balls into the other cups from various distances and directions (straight or breaking) before I ever have to collect and reset.  Very efficient. 

IMG_6380.thumb.JPG.c4996fde4500a9e357850d1390672ce9.JPG.8d876d2307d5d63e514cca9568e9dfbb.JPGI’ll remove the ramp and hole sleeves and practice some subtle (or not so subtle) breakers by sliding a magazine/s under the mat.  I’ll admit – I’m not the best green reader, and unfortunately this won’t help.  But it does get you trying to match speed with the known break. 

IMG_6377.thumb.JPG.2da6ced0ba3b12bcbb63ca880b098a71.JPG.6605fef99565e411e207e5fd5fe108a0.JPG

The “fifth” hole is a competitor to the PuttOut Pressure Trainer.  The idea is to get the ball to stick in those little holes – and it takes perfect speed.  The real goal is to get FOUR balls to stick in those little holes.  Good luck with that.  I’ve gotten three but only at short distance.  

In short, lots of ways to use the practice mat. 

Two gripes – one small, one large.  

Small one first – if I were king of BirdieBall for a day I’d have fewer holes.  That would allow me to play more break and starting from farther to side. Sometimes those front two holes get in the way if you are playing maximum break from short distance.  I turn the sleeves around backwards to keep them from catching errant putts.    Its possible BirdieBall thought of that and still favored all four holes to give different options.  This isn’t a knock on the product – just a way I’d make it better.  

Big one last – its too fast.  That’s why I deducted three points.  I get what BirdieBall is competing against. I still think its too fast.  I don’t care about the ball return (I may be too lazy to bend over and pick it out of the cup, but I can rake it back from halfway down the mat without a thought). My concern is that I too often leave the ball short, and I worry putting on something too fast will engrain that habit.  I’ve only played a hand full of times since I got the mat, and I’ve paced out 18 feet at my club’s practice green to gauge myself against.  I am leaving the ball short.  Granted – it is November in Iowa – we have slowed down to a stop for the year.  I really think BirdieBall and their customers would be better served by something running 10-12.  12 is plenty quick, especially for a practice product.

On the plus side - I am starting it on line..

On-Course Performance (Currently 20 out of 30 points)

As I said, its fall in Iowa… IMG_6507.JPG.4fb483e042e2c8dbb0c1af47d23033b6.JPG It has snowed twice and I’ve only been able to play 5 rounds since the PuttUp arrived.  I averaged:

• One Putt 19% of the time
  • Two Putt 65%
  • Three Putt 15%
  • 35.4 putts per round
  • 1.96 putts per hole
  • 2.14 putts GIR.  

So… not much change on course – yet. Hence, I scored this 20 out of 30 as of today. 

To be fair to BirdieBall – my ball striking and short game were not their best during those 5 rounds.  I had some major breaks in play, and #Arcossknows all my Shots Gained numbers were headed south compared to September. 

ShotsGained.png.5f258606fd901b8ddb06ba03580036bd.pngBut, but, but…  despite those five round averages, Arcoss says I had my best Shots Gained putting round of the season.  As a 7.8 index I use Arcoss SG to compare myself to a 6 handicap.  I shot a 78 and gained +1.6 shots putting, with 1.7 putts per hole, and 1.9 GIR.  During those five rounds I also had a +0.7SGP.  Something positive must be happening. 

On the plus side: I feel I have improved my stroke.  I’m getting it started on line more often, I have a more consistent stance, with a more confident stroke.  

The minus side: I have not improved in green reading – so I am starting it perfectly on the wrong $%^& line…  And, unfortunately, I am leaving it short.  Not on the five or ten footers, but on something eighteen or twenty feet away.

Again, snow is on the ground.IMG_6497.JPG.efde93383ccca446493f9c31344da080.JPG

When undertaking this project I thought I’d have all winter to hone my stroke, come out firing in the spring and report sometime around the Masters.  The 2021 Masters …

This is very much a “to be continued” review.  I’ll continue posting this winter as I try different things, and will absolutely share spring results.  Stay tuned to see if that score changes.

Miscellaneous (10 out of 10 points)

I see on Instagram that BirdieBall is now offering a “retrofit” kit where you can just get the ramp, hole sleeves, etc..  I think that’s a pretty cool thing to do for their existing customers.  I would absolutely get one if I already had their mat.  A no-brainer.   

That’s not exactly surprising to me.  When the CEO called me back I knew they really thought about their customers.  I know what you’re thinking – I’m a tester, of course they were going to call me back.  But give me his number?  And talk again the next day?  Nah.  Most companies would have had someone in customer service call. 

Keep it or Trade it? (20 out of 20 points)

I’m absolutely keeping it.  If anyone is looking for a used PuttOut Mat (I have two) let me know. I know $350 is not cheap.  This summer I purchased my second PuttOut to keep at my hotel, and I’d looked at the Perfect Practice and the WellPutt mats as well.  Knowing what I know now, I’d go with the BirdieBall.  It costs more, but is so much more versatile.  The extra width helps a great deal, but the ramp and the ability to hit a longer putt on a shorter mat cannot be beat.  

So for all the things you can do with the mat, I think it’s fair price.  If your putting is holding back your score, this is a great way to practice, without being repetitive (unless that’s what you want). 

Conclusion

Well constructed and durable.  Very versatile enabling multiple methods of practice. I will be retiring other mats I have and keep using the BirdieBall. 

Had my best Shots Gained Putting round of the year.

87 out of 100 pts – scored down because I haven’t seen consistent on course improvement yet due to snow on the course.  It’s a solid purchase and will be used over the winter and spring for practice.  Check back when the snow melts for shots gained information. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Great start so far gentlemen! I'll be interested to hear y'alls thoughts on this mat and I'm really curious about chipping on to it, I think that'll be a great practice opportunity. I'll be following along as you put out through its paces. Good luck!

22 hours ago, LeftyHawk said:

Like all of you here I'm really looking forward to getting some quality putting practice in this winter. At 60 I have more days behind me that in front. I've been playing golf since the persimmon days, and while I'm no slouch on the green, it's definitely the weakest part of my game.  Golf season is coming to an end quickly here in my part of Michigan, my course closes November first. My basement serves as my winter retreat for both woodworking and golf practice. In the past I set up a small chipping and putting area, with the Birdieball Puttup this winter will be all putting practice. I am tinkering with the idea of incorporating some short chipping onto the mat with roll up to the cup, time will tell. Currently I'm using a Perfect Practice putting mat, purchased it a few months ago and so far it's been real nice. A definite upgrade form my other mat.   My hope for the Birdieball mat is a more realistic surface with more possibilities for putting variations. As for drills, I'm working on putting together a routine for putting practice that will allow me to track and keep score to see the progress I make thru the winter. I also will be looking thru Dave Peltz's book to get some ideas for drills to try, and I do plan to incorporate the wedges at some point thru the winter.

As for the Birdieball Puttup to be a success, well proof with be in the next season.

Chris

Thank you for your service, I am excited to see how the putting matt will help you and the other reviewers improve over the off months.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

4 hours ago, EasyPutter said:

Hello GolfSpys, Sticks and Hacks all!   It is with thankfulness and humility I find myself on the reviewing team for the BirdieBall PuttUp mat and I hope to meet the expectations of the challenge!

My name is Derek and I am in Western NY, just outside Buffalo in West Seneca, just north of the renowned snow belts of winter. I spent my lifetime fascinated by golf but mostly thinking it was a game for others. The last year of my 30 year military career changed that with an introduction to the whole game by PGA Professional Brian Flax at Trails West GC, Fort Leavenworth, KS. I discovered I was really only missing one part of the game but putting was always a part of my experience, some of it miniature golf but most was about getting the ball somewhere using my intuition. Street hockey was my after school thing before streetlights came on (aka dinnertime) and interestingly, to me anyway, I shoot left with a hockey stick but right with a putter. With a hockey stick I could find the holes around the goalie everyone else seemed to miss. Putting is no different in my mind.

Putting is the strength of my golf game and if I don't one-putt I will settle for a 2 and a 3 just grinds my gears regardless if the first putt was from 60 feet. The rest of my game is slowly improving, chipping is getting better as is my longer game, but the green is where I can see the path and imagine the ball rolling into the cup. When I travel I have a golf club handle giving away what is in my rolling bag. I would rather roll balls across the carpet to a glass than watch anything on TV, except golf which will stay on yet commercials do give opportunity to roll a few more.

I use a pendulum swing keeping arms straight and locked and keep my head on the same pendulum as the putter with an imaginary pivot around my spine with shoulders. I pay attention to the line on top of my mallet putter noticing how the surface below passes it. Like an airplane, it is easy to see if that line is yawing or moving in any way off the line of motion. Also easy to see if the line of motion is moving out to in, in to out, or straight ahead. I do follow through the putt listening to the ping off my Pinemeadow Z-ON M1 that sounds right when contact is center of the face. Relaxation is the key as is ensuring the putter is lifted before the swing to keep from catching the surface that always results in a missed putt.  Something new for indoor practice is to be consistent by keeping glove on, I used to take it off but once I put on the Zero-Friction glove I have not been peeling it off and actually double glove with the great deal on Kirkland gloves I mail-ordered and later discovered the L wears like XL (but the resulting ball control with irons and hybrids keeps me double gloving 😜).

The PuttUp mat is for me a new surface to practice my game and renew my confidence in rolling the ball on “ideal” surfaces. The mat will be in the best room of the house, where I currently roll putts on my clipped wool carpet, primarily because it is the room with the most room to have the mat but also it is where I spend most of my time at home. The technique I am planning is a routine of distances and repetition of shots from left, center, and right to the holes. No particular sequence of holes will be used to vary the practice and keep it from being monotonous. But the number of attempts to number of one-putts will be recorded by day to track progress. The ramp will be part of the routine as it is touted as replicating longer shots than the mat is long and it will be interesting to see how true that is.

At this point I do not have a practice regime because of the amount of golf I have been playing since the beginning of May. I have never had a year with so much golfing and I hope this continues into the foreseeable future. With 9-hole rounds every weekday I get at least 45 putts in a week plus warm-up putts on the putting green to gauge green speed for the round, usually more than 90 now the aeration is done on the greens. With 56 rounds done so far I think the mat will soon equal and surpass the outdoor putts then who knows how well I will achieve my goal of being known as One Putt!

putter bottom (2).jpg

Thank you for your service

My Reviews:

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

On 9/28/2020 at 11:52 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

I am excited to see your reviews 

My Reviews:

For those that don't know me, my name is Shane Smith and I'm a 39 year-old lefty in The Woodlands, TX just north of Houston. I'm married with two boys under 3 with another on the way. I know what you're thinking...why? Well, it's all about compromise. The wife wanted more kids, I said let's wait...so we compromised and had more kids. It's a win-win if you ask me! Like the wife told me...we have a minivan, now let's fill it up! Yes, with strollers, booster seats, toys, snacks, etc. Magically there's no room for golf clubs anymore on family vacations. 

I'm a scratch golfer who plays twice a month but due to Covid and kids, I've had to take most of my practice home. I've got a driving range matt and a net for full swings, my kids pool that acts as a great chipping target, and Odyssey's finest 12' putting matt that comes in black (because most greens are black, right?!) and runs maybe a 7 or 8 on the stimp. I shouldn't complain too much about my overall setup but if there's an upgrade needed, it's the putting matt. It's razor thin, slow and follows every contour of the floor...and it's also a crumb magnet. Sometimes I wonder if I accumulated all the Goldfish, Chex Mix and Cheerio crumbs that my kids drop on it, I could make one amazing Nature Valley granola bar. FYI, if you ever come practice at my house, the living room has a nice left to right break and the entry way has a nice downhill slope to it. 

My game can definitely use some improvement in the putting realm. My focus over the last year has been delivering my putter face consistently to the ball and getting the ball down my intended target line. That has been achieved with great success, but at the sacrifice of speed since most of my putting has been on the crumb matt. I'm anxious and excited to see how practicing on quality turf that mimics the speed of most greens will translate out on the course. Obviously reading greens requires time out on actual greens, I'll focus more on my speed as we enter the fall and winter seasons. One of the metrics I intend to use during my testing is how this translates to the course. 

Here's some pics of crumb alley:

I added a straight line to assist with stroke and a target line to get the ball rolling...IMG-6695.jpg.69c2a15349213dae4294601f7ea52572.jpg

The matt is 12' and I usually practice 6-10' putts. 

IMG-6697.jpg.00b97c82ebab99f78f94cd3d9a3a7fdf.jpg

Crumbs...crumbs everywhere!

IMG-6698.jpg.4dadfe927fc8d1296c183b6007eee13a.jpg

And here's a few pics of the sled I'll be using during testing: 

IMG-6701.jpg.436ef08492baaa8e3c83d798044e362a.jpgIMG-6702.jpg.d72f7d1d31d6d10d026acc9897681b64.jpgIMG-6704.jpg.aaa9fbf060af6ae632fa5ccd1dc61496.jpg

It's a Toulon Garage Atlanta with a sight dot that I picked up off a BST site. I'm a putter ho that buys and sells a lot of putters, and for the sake of my bank account and marriage, this putter needs to last a little bit (ok, A LOT) longer than my average 4-8 weeks of use. So far, so good! 

I've always wanted to try a BirdieBall putting matt and now I have the opportunity thanks to MGS. Thanks y'all and I can't wait to post up the review. 

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • Lefty

On 9/28/2020 at 3:43 PM, Manimal26 said:

Hello everyone my name is Brandon and outside of golf I play ice hockey ( I have an equipment problem there too). My game is improving and I spend time working on each aspect. I have gone to great lengths to improve my putting. I went to BGT to get fitted by Blair and built a couple of putters with the stability shafts which I feel were 100% worth the money. At home I practice with a skillz mat and actually try to leave it just short of the cup for pace control. Since it is in the garage it is really broken down. At the course I practice breaks and green reading. I am so excited to be testing this since I will finally be able to do everything at home. I am actually going to be getting our neighborhood golfers together for a party night. Because of the cost one thing I want to test is there hidden value such as party games and getting others who don’t golf interested. My plan is to start out with it flat and get used to the roll and then begin to use the ramps. I am not sure what drills I will doing yet, but I am going to buy some prov1x practice balls to keep the ball consistent through out testing. I am going to build a stand for it if I have time before it arrives so it stays clean in the garage... if not I am clearing out my entry hallway since it supposed to be able to fold up. Wish me luck!!!

Great to see a fellow hockey player on here. Though you much have a much harder time finding more of them in Texas. It works out up here in NH I can get back on the ice once the golf season is done.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

7 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

Great to see a fellow hockey player on here. Though you much have a much harder time finding more of them in Texas. It works out up here in NH I can get back on the ice once the golf season is done.

Hockey is my first love. And actually plenty of them down here and some good ones at that. Living in Texas has it perks and I golf and play hockey year round!

12 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

Hockey is my first love. And actually plenty of them down here and some good ones at that. Living in Texas has it perks and I golf and play hockey year round!

That does sound nice for sure. It has been picking up in those areas. If Austin Matthews can develop in Arizona then they can come from anywhere. Do you follow the NHL or more just playing?

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

2 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

That does sound nice for sure. It has been picking up in those areas. If Austin Matthews can develop in Arizona then they can come from anywhere. Do you follow the NHL or more just playing?

O yah my stars just lost the cup... I follow every team though

Well this beast just arrived to distract me from college football. I threw the kids down for nap and cleared out the living room... This is a good size putting matt. Time to start assembling!!

IMG_6724.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Lefty

8 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

O yah my stars just lost the cup... I follow every team though

That was a tough one for sure, though Tampa has been quite a team lately. Lots of talent there for sure. Before we take this tread over there is an NHL thread below, would love your thoughts.

Looking forward to the Reviews guys.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

16 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Looking forward to the Reviews guys.

@Rickp just posted a little about it, but so far I am impressed.

[mention=69092]Rickp[/mention] just posted a little about it, but so far I am impressed.

Yup, great start!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Nice start guys.  I found a fairly large Birdieball mat on the Goodwill auction site earlier this year, but it's too large for any of my rooms.  I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this!

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

23 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Nice start guys.  I found a fairly large Birdieball mat on the Goodwill auction site earlier this year, but it's too large for any of my rooms.  I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this!

Nice! In all of the stuff that came with in the box you can email them and probably get the parts if you want to cut it down

Wow that is awesome!  I just showed my wife and that is going to be my Christmas present !

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

36 minutes ago, Manimal26 said:

Nice! In all of the stuff that came with in the box you can email them and probably get the parts if you want to cut it down

Yep.  We're redoing a room to be my office and moved a bunch of stuff out of it.  Once I know how much floor space I'll have, I'll cut it down.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

it’s here!! FedEx dropped the birdie ball off yesterday. 

first impressions:

i expected the mat to be heavier. for the size, it’s a very light foam material. if not for the side and end bumpers, it wouldn’t have much substance to it at all. 

the surface is really interesting. you can see from the pictures that it’s probably the closest simulation you can get to a real green in a synthetic material. it has grain and has actual little “grass” nubs. 

the mat has to settle for a while but i couldn’t resist taking a few preliminary rolls. it rolls extremely true and feels like you’re hitting on a real green. 

i can’t speak to if the ramp actually adds the intended additional distance for each respective hole yet, but i can say that you’ve gotta hit the ball a good bit firmer to reach the 18’ hole than you do for the 12’ and 14‘, so early on the ramp seems to work as advertised. 

over the next few days i’ll roll a lot more balls on the mat (MLB playoffs and a putting green, what’s better?!) and try to come up with some sort of system for evaluating the efficacy of the mat. 

i know you all want pictures, so i guess it’s time to PuttUp or shut up:

here’s everything that comes in the box

4B0B154F-0E49-4204-BF8D-DACDF007290F.jpeg.49043a133b25fbcff3d3e9c4800bc49b.jpeg

and here’s the mat fully assembled 

AD6C7419-DA7F-4CA4-B993-24F609CE157E.jpeg.2cf536375d6ff8ba76beda1a2aa17847.jpeg

heres my current gamer putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Triple Track Double wide.  say that five times fast.

86717138-B2B6-41BB-8350-0CB7E173E14E.jpeg.a031e1a079099d76ceb32266cbc9b900.jpeg

C94F273B-3DC0-4248-884B-D675FF432762.jpeg.d5809bce5140184c34ca02606b93970c.jpeg

C4698041-20E5-4A45-A86A-6B0C1294266E.jpeg.7dca2aac26c0ffeb1b9961130033a5d2.jpeg

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour