TPT Golf Shafts - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Want to follow our testers posts and progress? Click on their main post links below!
@William P - Main Post 

@Hoyoymac - Main Post 

@RoverRick - Main Post 

@ZackS - Main Post

Even if you think you know what ought to work based on your current specs and comparing to what has worked for you in the past against what manufacturers post about their shafts you just don’t know what is going to be the best fit until you try it.  

Using the TPT Golf online fitting tool I would have gotten the fairway wood and hybrid correct but the driver shaft would have been wrong.

Similarly I went through the Mitsubishi Chemical online fitting tool and the three shafts recommended to me for driver did not include the shaft I was fit into and using prior to the TPT Golf Shaft review.

I strongly recommend getting fit for the TPT shafts before purchasing.  

Especially driver since there are two models: the Nitro and Power Range, two bend profiles HI & LO and multiple flexes.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

3 minutes ago, Hoyoymac said:

Even if you think you know what ought to work based on your current specs and comparing to what has worked for you in the past against what manufacturers post about their shafts you just don’t know what is going to be the best fit until you try it.  

Using the TPT Golf online fitting tool I would have gotten the fairway wood and hybrid correct but the driver shaft would have been wrong.

Similarly I went through the Mitsubishi Chemical online fitting tool and the three shafts recommended to me for driver did not include the shaft I was fit into and using prior to the TPT Golf Shaft review.

I strongly recommend getting fit for the TPT shafts before purchasing.  

Especially driver since there are two models: the Nitro and Power Range, two bend profiles HI & LO and multiple flexes.

I think the biggest thing of interest to me is, why do companies offer online "fitting" when we know it doesn't work more times than not. 

I'm trying to think of one instance where I matched....

Does it bring negativity or bad press by it being wrong or by not offering it when everyone else does these days?

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

16 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I think the biggest thing of interest to me is, why do companies offer online "fitting" when we know it doesn't work more times than not. 

Does it bring negativity or bad press by it being wrong or by not offering it when everyone else does these days?

That’s a good question.

Online fitting tools have just not proven to me to be that accurate.

Although not in the market for new irons I’m really curious about the new Wilson AI fit using the Blast grip sensor.  

Will that become the new gold standard or will it fizzle out?

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

100% agree. Fitting is always preferred.  

They have so many options it's interesting that it is close to what you ended up with in the live fitting. 

They do have a comprehensive range of shafts and I believe swing speed is used as a metric in the design of their shaft profiles and weights which affords them a good ballpark starting point. Unfortunately, didn't ask Jon about this specifically as we were getting the full fitting experience.

Edited by William P

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

2 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

The bottom line is the company’s bottom line. They are in the business of selling products. Sure they want you to be happy with their service, but only to the point that you come back. They are wanting the sell and if this doesn’t quite fit you perfectly, as long as you come back next time to buy more product, that’s really all that matters. 

Jon Sinclair on the other hand was focused on fitting you with the best products. At one point he sold shafts from everywhere. He was instrumental in the TPT shafts and knew that most golfers had a bias against weaker flex shafts. Even if you hit a “L” Flex shaft 50 yards farther, most golfers would never dream of putting it in the bag. He developed a nomenclature totally different than any others so there was no preconceived biases. Once he determined that TPT was the best shaft, he quit handling the others. 

While I’m sure he wants return business, he knows you will only come back because you want the best the first time. I haven’t read everyone else’s reviews completely yet, all four of us feel we got the best shafts for us. 

I’ve had many fittings, and I can say 6 weeks later I always felt like I should have gone with a different option. In this case, the more I use it, the more comfortable I am with the products and quality that I got. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3W  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: iCrossover 2  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: iCrossover 4 on Graphite Design AD DI 7S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

That's a very good question Josh.

Manufacturers use this as a marketing tool in my opinion which in turn helps drive sales. I believe the on-line fitting is used to reach golfers who would not take the time to be properly fitted such as those who don't feel they are good enough for fitting at this stage of their game. 

I believe there has been enough data collected over years to allow the use of algorithms based on a few key metrics such as swing speed and fade, draw, or straight shot tendency to drive selection from the historical data. I think the term I'm searching for is "predictive analytics."

Again, just my opinion.

Edited by William P

Any time you are fit online for a product regardless of the type it is you take your chances.  Some are better than others of course.  LAB putters fit me for a putter online twice and I have absolutely no problems with it.  However, I would be really hesitant to hit a club full speed without being fit in person, and would never buy a premium shaft without being fit for it IRL.  I bought many a club without being fit and since having a real fitting experience will never do it again.

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1X
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
4- HYBRID: Stealth 2, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Titleist SM9 52, 56, 60
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
BAG: Ping Pioneer 
CART: MGI electric

Any time you are fit online for a product regardless of the type it is you take your chances.  Some are better than others of course.  LAB putters fit me for a putter online twice and I have absolutely no problems with it.  However, I would be really hesitant to hit a club full speed without being fit in person, and would never buy a premium shaft without being fit for it IRL.  I bought many a club without being fit and since having a real fitting experience will never do it again.

-XY

-XY

-XY

-XY

40 minutes ago, GolferXY said:

The LAB Golf on line fitting is different. It’s not an algorithm, it’s taking a video in front of a door frame and they take measurements. If the video is not of a certain quality, or even if your set up is too flawed, they will ask you to do it again. 

I actually had an in-person LAB fitting and an on-line LAB fitting and they came up the same. 

Even if you sent launch monitor data to a fitter for a driver, it still doesn’t tell you about the feel or how the club head will interact with your swing and the shaft. 

There have been questions about what the big difference in the TPT shafts are and we have been talking about that being the patented manufacturing process and the benefit's that come from it. If you haven't seen the most recent not putts give with SAM from LAB golf at about the 12 minute mark when he talks about TPT. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

Just checking in to repeat that all three of the TPT Golf shafts are staying in the bag.

My results with them have been very good.

Posted (edited)

Notice anything different in my signature?

All TPT shafts are safe in the bag...

Edited by William P

Finally got a chance to read the other reviews. Great job guys!

WITB:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

1 hour ago, ZackS said:

Finally got a chance to read the other reviews. Great job guys!

Need to include yourself in that compliment Zach as you nailed it!

As promised, @William P joined me this week to play an invitational golf tournament at my course. It was a great time, we finished second place in the day money, and 5/12 in our flight. Bill had very little help the first day, irons were horrible and putting was lackluster for me. 

The TPT shafts did all they could the first day, and they have a solid place in the bag for both of us. We had a blast and will do it again later in the year, schedules permitting. 

I was a little disappointed that no one mentioned that we had matching shafts, or even asked about them, but the average golfer doesn’t pay attention to that. And truthfully, it’s not like I was demonstrating that this was a superior product. It is, and there’s no telling how poorly I would have played without them. 

The LAB putter, on the other hand, did generate some talk. 

As @RoverRick updated earlier we had a good time playing Gillis Invitational at his home course in Sulpher Springs. The course is beautiful and very well maintained. Format was 2-man best ball.

We redeemed ourselves in today's round after posting a rather unimpressive score yesterday. Rick's iron play wasn't as bad as he stated, just not up to his usual standard. My putting on the other hand was a display to forget. Rick can definitely roll the pill and demonstrated it numerous times through the weekend but the most notable stroke was on #9 from well over 40 feet. It was beautiful!

My swing was better today, and the clubs fitted with TPT shafts performed admirably. Results continue to impress me with added length and tighter dispersion.

I had a great weekend and I look forward to playing more golf with Rick aa our schedules permit. 

Way to go guys!

@RoverRick@William P

First round in about 4 weeks since the testing period, schedule has been crazy. Had a coupon so drove out to Rowlett TX and played Waterview Golf Club. The good golf since putting the TPT shafts in play continues with a 37/35 for an even par 72. The clubs with the TPT shafts were the highlight of the day. Around the greens I was not on top of my game  and despite 31 putts I was not upset with that as the greens were in pretty bad condition and pretty bouncy. Hit 7 of 11 fairways with the driver, including 5 of 6 on the back 9. And the missed fairways were not too bad. Just as a hint I was 3 over on par 3's where the TPT clubs were not involved. The hybrid was hit once on a 570 yard par 5 after a 340 yard drive I hit the hybrid from 230 to about 35 feet and led to a birdie. Hit the 5 wood 3 times, on off the tee that was left a little right but was perfectly fine. One off the tee on a par 4 that the tee's were forward due to work on the regular ones so it was playing 250, I hit it to 25 feet and made birdie. The last was the 2nd shot on a par 5 from 250 into the wind that was just short right on the green. I chipped up and made birdie. I wont go through every drive but I will go through the stretch of 4 birdies in 5 holes lead by the driver. The first was the 340 right down the middle that lead to the hybrid shot above. I follow that hole up with a mental error on the par 3 that lead to a bad swing and  a double bogie. This is when the driver decided to take over. The next hole was a 340 yard par 4, I hit my drive to 40 feet and 2 putted for birdie. The next hole was a 330 yard par 4, despite a slightly low strike on the head I was straight at the pin. I got up and down from about 30 yards for birdie. Finally a par 5 into the wind hit another straight down the middle that lead to the above mentioned 5 wood and lead to another birdie. 

WITB:

Been playing a lot lately.

Yesterday in the Men’s Group I had a fast start and then cooled off on the back nine, shot 37/41.  Been happening to me pretty often lately. 

Starting on #2 yesterday. 
IMG_0748.png.bf9c21e359eb8397c1f9229f0095ae25.png

We’ve had a lot of rain recently especially in the afternoons and evening.  Has been cart path only on a number of the wettest holes including 2, 5, 11, 16 & 18.

Hot and humid now on the coast and the Bermuda grass loves it.

Soft fairways so not much roll.  The rough is getting thick & sticky which means more penalizing.  But the lies around the green are much better now for easier chipping.

IMG_0747.png.d03445c9834a189d7197c29adf9e6822.png

Made a nice up and down from a green side bunker for birdie on 5.

Been frustrated recently with my driving game with more penalties off the tee and some lost balls all of a sudden.

I’ve been ramping up my swing speed training and maybe that is the culprit.

1 hour ago, Hoyoymac said:

Been frustrated recently with my driving game with more penalties off the tee and some lost balls all of a sudden.

I’ve been ramping up my swing speed training and maybe that is the culprit.

That is the one down fall to speed, every degree off the miss is just that much further offline at 300 compared to 200. 

Even Tiger had to learn that lesson 🤣. But seriously not sure if this is you or not but one thing to keep in mind that ss all the full out swings you do in training are to train your muscles to fire better/get stronger to raise your baseline. I think some fall into with doing speed training is they start making the all out swings on the course instead of trusting that the training is raising their baseline and making their normal swing. Now there is always times to swing so hard you spray spinal fluid, cause that's just fun to do! 

WITB: