Distance overlap in your bag???

Does anybody else bag two clubs in his/her bag that he/she KNOWS hit the ball about the same distance?

The GPS estimated yardages for my 21° 7-wood and my
18° driving iron are both roughly 200 yards, but I don't care.

If I'm hitting into a tight landing area from the tee, I want
that butt ugly but straight line drive that doesn't get blown around.

If I'm hitting into a green, I'm hoping to make a gruesome ball mark
with the high flying, steep dropping lofted wood shot.

To me, taking up two of fourteen slots for clubs of the same yardage is worth it,

but I imagine strong players who have a huge range to cover
in their length of fairway shots
from strong 3-wood  to lob wedge
might not be willing to do that.

14 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Nope because I gap my bag based on distance needed in each slot and if I have two that are close I ether change loft or club type to correct the issue

I imagine that's what a lot of low handicappers do.

I take an opposite (and possibly unique) approach.

I put the fourteen clubs that I like the most and in which I have the most confidence into the bag.   

Then, when I get to my ball, I hope that I happen to have a good club for the shot about to be made.    

A close friend once looked into my bag and said,
"I've never seen a set of four matched 'woods' and a driving iron in the same bag before."

I'm not going to qualify for the Open nor be invited to the Masters.  May as well play the clubs that I like to hit and do what I can with them.

17 hours ago, RetiredBoomer said:

This is the exact reason to have overlap.  Each club has a specific purpose and you have the ability to control the 4 clubs.   I only carry 13 because those 13 fit my gaps and accomplish what I want.   As I get older and my distance drops I can envision bagging fewer clubs since there will be less distance between driver and most lofted wedge. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 minutes ago, RetiredBoomer said:

I suppose.  

I don’t know any golfer who doesn’t have some kind of setup that doesn’t cover gapping between clubs. It may not be optimal but it’s setup for gapping with the clubs in the bag.

Some use their favorite club Ann build around it. Some may even have 2 of the same number iron but because of loft and design differences it covers their gapping needs. This is seen for some who use a combo set and the gap between the two sets needs to be filled. I had a 7i cb and a 7i players distance to fill a gap, they went different yardages despite the number stamped on them

17 hours ago, RetiredBoomer said:

Does anybody else bag two clubs in his/her bag that he/she KNOWS hit the ball about the same distance?

Yes, same boat as you. I have a driving iron that is 21* that I use exclusively off the tee and it doesn't curve much. I also have a Mizuno Hybrid that I lofted up to 21.5* that I use off the deck (the driving iron is not as good off the deck) but also off the tee if I really need to turn something over. They both carry (off a tee) about 215-220 but get there in very different ways and different spin profiles. I also only carry 13 clubs anyway so it is not taking up a potential spot for another club in my bag. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* / Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
HackMotion Official Review -- 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t know any golfer who doesn’t have some kind of setup that doesn’t cover gapping between clubs.

You do now!!!

Seriously, if you're older, you don't need to gap all the way out to 250 yard fairway shots,  and thus the entire range of fairway shots doesn't require as many clubs to cover it.

This gives me the opportunity to have a complete 13.5, 18, 21, 24° wood set that I really like and still keep a favorite driving iron in the bag.   

While almost everybody has a driver and a putter, I'm a utility club freak who adds a dedicated utility driving iron (I have several including a new one) and a dedicated utility sand club to my list of non-fairway clubs.  I can do that because ten clubs cover my fairway shot range. Obviously, some people need more than ten fairway clubs.

I'm wondering if I should do a WITB signature.

Edited by RetiredBoomer

7 minutes ago, RetiredBoomer said:

You do now!!!

Seriously, if you're older, you don't need to gap all the way out to 250 yard fairway shots,  and thus the entire range of fairway shots doesn't require as many clubs to cover it.

This gives me the opportunity to have a complete 13.5, 18, 21, 24° wood set that I really like and still keep a favorite driving iron in the bag.   

While almost everybody has a driver and a putter, I'm a utility club freak who adds a dedicated utility driving iron (I have several including a new one) and a dedicated utility sand club to my list of non-fairway clubs.  I can do that because ten clubs cover my fairway shot range. Obviously, some people need more than ten fairway clubs.

I'm wondering if I should do a WITB signature.

One should gap out as far as they need based on their game and the courses they play.

how that gaps is different for each. I don’t care what the gap is between my driver and my fairway wood because they serve different purposes. My driver is to advance the ball as far as possible off the tee. Whatever my lowest lofted wood is which is usually between 16-17° is set for a certain distance off the deck and that gives me an idea of what it does off the tee as a second option. All my clubs in the rest of the bar are based off that. My wedges though are based off my 9i.

and to say an older person shouldn’t gap out to 250 is a broad generalization. I have several friends who are or even they were in their late 50s and early 60s still hit farther than that. One of my old coworkers was in the 250-260 off the tee in his late 60s but he was also in great shape still.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

....and to say an older person shouldn’t gap out to 250 is a broad generalization. 

I didn't necessarily mean that an older person shouldn't gap out to 250 yard fairway shots.
I meant that THIS older person doesn't have to.

Are you an Orioles or a Nationals fan?
My Red Sox blow chunks this year.
I don't need to waste time watching those guys.
If my back were just a little bit better,
I could hit in that lineup.

Edited by RetiredBoomer

2 hours ago, RetiredBoomer said:

I didn't necessarily mean that an older person shouldn't gap out to 250 yard fairway shots.
I meant that THIS older person doesn't have to.

Are you an Orioles or a Nationals fan?
My Red Sox blow chunks this year.
I don't need to waste time watching those guys.
If my back were just a little bit better,
I could hit in that lineup.

Yankees fan. When I’m into watching. Im not into watching most sports these days. Time is occupied with two side gigs and life

45 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yankees fan. When I’m into watching. Im not into watching most sports these days. Time is occupied with two side gigs and life

Got it, Ricky.   

I make a point out of not letting life get in the way of important stuff.😑

1 hour ago, RetiredBoomer said:

Got it, Ricky.   

I make a point out of not letting life get in the way of important stuff.😑

Same and watching sports is low on the list of important stuff. My side gigs allow me to give back and help people. I’ll give us sports for that any day of the week

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Same and watching sports is low on the list of important stuff. My side gigs allow me to give back and help people. I’ll give us sports for that any day of the week

I'm not into sports that much, either.

I was really into baseball and boxing going back decades.
Baseball got tacky in the Selig/Manfred commissioner era,
and boxing died when it moved from premium cable to streaming.

I've been to many title bouts in person.
I saw Ali fight in person twice.
I went to a few Oscar DeLaHoya fights.
That's all in the past, now though.
I've lost track of it.

To me, taking up two of fourteen slots for clubs of the same yardage is worth it,

I don't presently have similar in my bag, but as you described yours... I'd be all for that if it served my purposes wrt the course(s) I play.

Bullet 200 yards vs high, soft landing 200 yards?

Yup. I can work with each.

On 5/20/2024 at 10:58 PM, RetiredBoomer said:

I worked that situation out of my bag. I had had that issue in the past. But changed to different clubs or lofts to rectify the issue.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

See no problem with two clubs that go the same distance, we don’t always have the same shot even though it might be the same distance. Can see where a good player could play a shot with several different clubs. Been known to carry a club for one shot on one hole on a familiar course. 

Driver -  Callaway GBB Epic

Fairway - Cobra Baffler 5W

Hybrid - TaylorMade Rescue mid 2,4,5h

Irons - Cobra Baffler XL 7-P

GW - Cobra Baffler XL

SW - King Cobra os

Putter - Evnroll ER2

8 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I worked that situation out of my bag. I had had that issue in the past. But changed to different clubs or lofts to rectify the issue.

I can have more than the two usual non-fairway clubs--putter and driver--in my bag, because ten fairway clubs--woods, irons, and wedges-- pretty much cover my fairway shot range.  

The extra two utility clubs are a driving iron and a sand iron, which, like driver and putter,
aren't ever hit from the fairway.   

6 hours ago, GG194 said:

See no problem with two clubs that go the same distance, we don’t always have the same shot even though it might be the same distance. Can see where a good player could play a shot with several different clubs. Been known to carry a club for one shot on one hole on a familiar course. 

Good players learn to hit different shots so that they don’t have to carry a club or clubs for a shot they may see once every so often. It takes away from having a good bag setup 

I carry driver, 3w, 7w (Callaway Heaven Wood), 4 hybrid and then my irons.  All are pretty evenly gapped.  But, I can hit my 7 wood from 210 to 175 depending on how far down the grip go with my hands.  With the 4 hybrid, I can hit it the same distance as my 5 iron by gripping down 2 inches.  The ball flight is different, so I have multiple clubs that I can hit the same distance if I want to.  I pick the one that matches the height of the shot I want to hit.  

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Good players learn to hit different shots so that they don’t have to carry a club or clubs for a shot they may see once every so often. It takes away from having a good bag setup 

Not all of us are good players. 

Driver -  Callaway GBB Epic

Fairway - Cobra Baffler 5W

Hybrid - TaylorMade Rescue mid 2,4,5h

Irons - Cobra Baffler XL 7-P

GW - Cobra Baffler XL

SW - King Cobra os

Putter - Evnroll ER2