Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Ladies club set recommendations for mid-beginner

Hello! I’m hoping this group can provide some thoughts / recommendations for a set of clubs for my college age daughter.

Just a bit of background. She started playing on and off when she was younger, so she knows the basics of the golf swing. She’s also pretty athletic in that she played high school lacrosse. She would like to learn the game a bit more seriously, and will be taking weekly lessons from our local teaching pro. I’m not looking to get her fit for clubs, but would appreciate recommendations for clubs that are reasonably priced … perhaps from a retailer like PGA Superstore, etc. 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

PING, TaylorMade and Callaway all have clubs that would be good. 

Then there are always DTC brands which are always great value for the product. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

5 hours ago, Hacker60521 said:

Hello! I’m hoping this group can provide some thoughts / recommendations for a set of clubs for my college age daughter.

Just a bit of background. She started playing on and off when she was younger, so she knows the basics of the golf swing. She’s also pretty athletic in that she played high school lacrosse. She would like to learn the game a bit more seriously, and will be taking weekly lessons from our local teaching pro. I’m not looking to get her fit for clubs, but would appreciate recommendations for clubs that are reasonably priced … perhaps from a retailer like PGA Superstore, etc. 

I would say go to ANY big box store and ask if she can swing a few drivers and irons. See how they feel to her.  You can look and touch them, adjust as needed comparison to different brands.  Etc.

Then go to those retailers websites and look for the deals! All the brands out there have a clearance section, light used sets, etc. Or you can buy a whole set with bag from the big chains on the spot. I know dicks sporting/golf galaxy carry numerous starter sets. Some can be had for under $500 (even less on a sale!)

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

@Hacker60521If you're looking for a "beginner" set of women's clubs & don't want to spend a whole lot... Check on Ebay! Do a real specific search for Golf Clubs - Complete Set and refine your search to "new" or "like new"... And under the "Gender" category when you refine search... Just specify "women's"... I began playing 5 yrs ago & needed a set of clubs. I had never really played before & decided to learn how for real and started by taking lessons from a real PGA Pro who specializes in teaching beginners. Anyway... I didn't have a lot of money to spend on clubs as I'm on a fixed income but... I was able to find a brand new set of beginner clubs with stand bag in a sealed box that were left over stock from the previous year and the seller had a price listed with a "Best Offer" option. I made an offer I figured would be denied & the seller accepted my offer! 😲😀 I don't recall how much shipping cost was... Probably around $20 meaning my offer that was accepted was $80. I recall I paid $100 even for the brand new full set (11) of clubs including a stand bag and shipping! I thought it was a decent deal! I learned the game with those clubs and added a few clubs to the bag that weren't included with the set to bring total to 14. I no longer use those clubs but still own them. I learned the game & spent a lot of time playing/practicing to get better for 1st couple yrs playing with those clubs! I probably played upwards of 100 rounds each of the 1st couple years I played! Needless to say... I upgraded my clubs to a much better full set (all 14) and my new clubs are a huge improvement over my beginner clubs but the new set I got would have been difficult to start with and learn with because of the shaft flex, club face angle on a few of the clubs, etc... If you really want to save some money... I'll give you a great deal on my no longer used full set of beginner clubs with the bag if you pay shipping! They are women's clubs for a right handed player and are in excellent condition... 

On 6/22/2024 at 8:51 AM, Hacker60521 said:

I always think it's good to get the Teacher's input too.  He will know where her swing/game is headed and can provide ideas on equipment that will last her a while or get her to the next level.

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for various OEMs.

Might be too late to answer but here goes. If she’s tall, don’t overlook a senior set, or a regular men’s set if her swingspeed is up there. I’m short so I started with a Callaway Solaire set and had them for seven years (replaced the putter right away and eventually the driver). A set is a cozy option for a beginner (everything you could possibly need) but the new sets cost way more than what I paid - I nearly passed out when I saw the Kalea set price. Of course when you factor in the “whole set in a bag” it usually isn’t that expensive.

Check eBay. You might get some tech that’s a few years old but in a couple years, she can upgrade when she’s ready. 

Titleist TSR1, Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 3-4-5 hybrids, TaylorMade Qi10 irons 6i-P, Cleveland RTX wedges 54 and 58, SeeMore OG FSG blade, yet helpless without my ShotScope V5.

Also, stix just released a full lineup of women's clubs today

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I bought this for my daughter last year and she really likes hers.  She is also athletic so we got hers in A flex. Add a driver and putter and maybe a FW wood and good to go!

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-m890-combo-pak-maltby-m890-lt/p/pma0321cs/

Best of luck to your daughter!

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

First off, thank you to everyone that shared their thoughts. We went with the Callaway Reva because it seemed like a pretty popular option among the teaching pros I spoke to. The set also gives good exposure to the types of clubs since it includes woods, hybrids, irons and wedges. 

What’s been interesting is that my daughter used to play lacrosse. So she’s very used to swinging out from her body and to snap her wrists. The instructor has been great in that rather than trying to undo her instincts, he’s trying to figure out how to realign these forces into her golf swing. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black