Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

New Bobby Jones Hybrids

Showed up in my "IN' box this morning -- the latest from Bobby and Jesse...

HYBRID12.detail.jpg

HYBRID12.detail.a.jpg

HYBRID12.detail.b.jpg

HYBRID12.detail.d.jpg

HYBRID12.detail.g.jpg

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

they should've gone with black on metal look. This white thing has going on too long.

Driver: Snake Eye 9.5* Python XLD w/ AXE FW Regular, tipped 1"

4 Wood: Bridgestone J40 with AXE FW Stiff

Hybrid 19*, Acer XF, FST 115 Pro, stiff

Hybrid 25*, Bobby Jones, stock shaft, stiff

Irons 4-6: Tommy Armour, 845c silverback forged, R300

Irons 7-P: Tommy Armour, 845m Silverback forged, S300

Wedges: 56* Eidolon; 60* Mizuno

Putter: SC - Monterey 35", stock weight

Balls: B-Stone B330RX-S

I am almost ready to come out of the closet and admit that I want a Taylormade R11s or a RBZ driver with a white head. However, I absolutely do not want anything with a white head that is not a TMag product. It reeks of cheap knockoff when this is anything but cheap. The "me too" white head makes it a cheap immitation. This may out perform all TMag products however, I will never have one.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Rick, just do like I do, find a club you like and change the color to the color you want. LOL. The white trend is going nowhere. In fact, it's inspired lots of ideas. Callaway now offers a select a color, Puma is offering an orange driver, Ping a pink one, Adams a silver one. Other companies are going bolder and bolder with color choices, but TMag started it and others are following and it's here to stay. One manufacturer I don't see doing a different color for a long while is Titleist.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Rick, just do like I do, find a club you like and change the color to the color you want. LOL. The white trend is going nowhere. In fact, it's inspired lots of ideas. Callaway now offers a select a color, Puma is offering an orange driver, Ping a pink one, Adams a silver one. Other companies are going bolder and bolder with color choices, but TMag started it and others are following and it's here to stay. One manufacturer I don't see doing a different color for a long while is Titleist.

There is nothing wrong with the TMag White. I also like the other colors that are showing up, I do not especially want to see these at address. One thing I like about Callaway is they do not even use alignment aids on their drivers. It is simply that TMag has white sowed up. Unless everyone does is, anyone doing it now is simply a me too.

I really like the stealth black that Titleist does and Ping I20. I wish I had not read T's review of the I20 hybrid. One of my friends got new I20 Driver, irons, hybrid and fairway woods, and now everytime he pulls out the hybrid, the Darth Vader music plays in my head. He just got the driver last weekend and everyone was really lusting after it. I thought it looked great but he has regular shafts so I have not hit any balls with them.

I can't stand the white. I've hit several Taylor Made's with the white heads and it hasn't bothered me once I was over the ball though - wasn't in love with the clubs and they performed middle of the pack when I was testing them but the look didn't disturb me - Bottom line, if I hit it well I'd live with the look because a club tends to look better and better to me eye the more good shots that I hit with hit - I take my old Ping Eye 2 6 iron out now and again because it always looks so good.

Who cares as long as the club works is the bottom line for me.

I have hybrids that have worked for over 5 years so I'm not even remotely interested but if I were in the market I'd give them a try without a doubt.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I dunno - maybe I'm crazy but white doesn't bother me all that much (at least this week). Whether it's TM, Powerbilt or anyone else with a white headed club -- it doesn't make much difference to me. So they're imitating, so what?

I owned an R-11 3 wood last year -- couldn't hit it well no matter what color it was. Have taken a whack with my boss's RBZ 3-wood -- smoked a few but still prefer my own Titleist (maybe 'cause it's paid for?).

Love the line about the Darth Vader music, RR! I don't hear music when someone pulls out a white headed club, but for some reason I usually expect them to hit it a ways. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, but for some reason I'm predisposed to thinking "looonnggg."

I guess marketing does work its way into your subconscious.

That said - I've always liked Bobby Jones/Jesse Ortiz clubs --

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Yes, it is performance rather than looks that makes the difference. This is ultimately the reason I do not own a TMag driver. Bottom line is that they do not out perform, for me anyway, what I currently have. It is just that so many people are playing the TMag white drivers and we have talked about them so much I am sort of wanting one. Or at least was until yesterday. I took the Callaway back out and hit it perfectly every time. Apparently, after leaving it in the house for a few weeks and playing the Titleist, the Callaway has decided to behave better. I know the problem was not me overswinging it.:rolleyes:

Yes, it is performance rather than looks that makes the difference. This is ultimately the reason I do not own a TMag driver. Bottom line is that they do not out perform, for me anyway, what I currently have. It is just that so many people are playing the TMag white drivers and we have talked about them so much I am sort of wanting one. Or at least was until yesterday. I took the Callaway back out and hit it perfectly every time. Apparently, after leaving it in the house for a few weeks and playing the Titleist, the Callaway has decided to behave better. I know the problem was not me overswinging it.:rolleyes:

Have the same thing with my backup wedges...the gamers are having a "time out" right now. Will probably put them back in the bag for an upcoming trip to Denver.

I guess the "follow-the-leader" guys don't bother me much -- if it's a good club for me, it's a good club for me. An old boss used to tell me, "you can always tell the pioneers. They're the ones with arrows in their back." And this guy was a trailblazer!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived