Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

There were quite a few articles in the2019-2022 timeframe.  I would guess the reason is that there is little desire from the readers for information about Honma.  They have been tested in prior Most Wanted testing but Honma probably doesn't send clubs for testing and while there is a US presence they are more of a Japanese brand.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

16 hours ago, D-M-G said:

I don't understand why MyGolfSpy pays nearly no attention to a "jewelry grade" golf club manufacturer?

I just don't think they market as much in the US and while MGS is a global brand, they are very much US centric. I see a ton of Honma here in Switzerland, but only half the golfers I talk to actually know about MyGolfSpy. It is just a split in areas where the content is focused. 

They do make some great clubs, but at the same time for me I have found the RH focus offputting (I don't see many LH clubs available from Honma here to purchase) that I don't really give them much consideration. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Besides the irons being "jewelry grade," it's an interesting company to review.  It would surprise many people. Incredible technology and manufacturing.  Not the Proctor & Gamble / Corporate approach to a product line.  More word of mouth than media blitz.

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I’ll throw my $.02 in as I have played Honma before. Not sure where you get jewelry grade but I’d leave that distinction to Miura and stop there. 

Honma irons are just as good as any other on the market if they fit you and just as bad as any other if they don’t.  

You obviously love them and that’s great but you already stated they go by word of mouth instead of big advertising. So I ask, how can we cover them if they don’t do what others do as far as testing and what not?

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:   Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

:titleist-small: TSR2 7 wood shaft TBD

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 Aged Copper 4-PW with Steelfiber I95 R

Wedges:    :mizuno-small: T22 copper 50* and 54* with Steelfiber 95 S

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

On 8/17/2024 at 4:52 PM, D-M-G said:

Besides the irons being "jewelry grade," it's an interesting company to review.  It would surprise many people. Incredible technology and manufacturing.  Not the Proctor & Gamble / Corporate approach to a product line.  More word of mouth than media blitz.

Honma’s attempt to penetrate the US Market failed miserably in two ways.  Justin Rose’s signing and his game going to absolute crap afterwards.  And when Mark King who help build TM into a Giant, left Honma after a short stint to run Taco Bell, that pretty much was the 1st step towards a quick death in the US Market. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 8/17/2024 at 4:52 PM, D-M-G said:

The same can be said of Miura and Vega. High quality clubs that many can't or won't spend the money on. I have nothing against any of them or the people that purchase/want them. They just aren't main stream enough to warrant a lot of attention on here... although, there has been write ups and discussions about them on here. Nothing sinister going on here at MGS. 😉

The "jewelry grade" bit is throwing me off.  That would speak to the looks of a club more than the performance.  Kind of like how a $15 Casio will tell time more accurately than a $5,000 Rolex.  Generally, you don't buy a Rolex because it tells time better than anything else.  You buy it because you appreciate the craftmanship and/or want something that looks nice and will start a conversation.

While I think Honma clubs have performed well, or well enough, over the years and that has been covered on MGS, they haven't had any breakthrough performance tech that I'm aware of.  They're more or less in the same boat as the other manufacturers.  As others have noted, they have a small footprint in the US and aren't a value play either.  Aside from the big names in golf clubs, MGS tends to focus on performance and value.

2 minutes ago, Brooky03 said:

The "jewelry grade" bit is throwing me off.  That would speak to the looks of a club more than the performance. 

He is referring to their Beres line which is probably “jewelry” grade 

https://us.honmagolf.com/collections/beres