Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Range Drills…what’s in your bag?

I’m working on hitting the range with a purpose and focus. I’ve spent some time on ChatGPT developing out a Range Session Program, but want to hear from y’all: 

What specific range drills helped you go from a casual golfer to mid-handicappers?

Brian Jackson

Driver: K-Sig & Taylormade AeroBurner 2.0

Irons: Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 4-GW

Wedges: Titlest Vokey raw 52°, 54°, 60° 

Putter: SeeMore Pure Center Blade Milled SS303 

4 minutes ago, WilliamYates said:

I am more interested in how you used ChatGPT LOL

you just type a prompt asking something like:   develop a golf practice plan for the range.  

If there are specific things you just include those to continue refining what it responds with.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

you just type a prompt asking something like:   develop a golf practice plan for the range.  

If there are specific things you just include those to continue refining what it responds with.  

I was just interested in the prompts you used, very cool. If you are into ai make sure to give perplexity a try....

To answer your actual question.....What helped me get lower in my handicap is "playing holes" on the range. Hit Driver-Iron-Wedge, or Driver-Wood-Wedge. Going back and forth with just a single shot of each club keeps you from just hitting another shot after a bad one and adds value to each shot just like on the course. 

Cobra Aerojet MAX 9* 

Cobra Air X 3 Wood

Cobra BioCell 7 Wood

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW

Cleveland CG 56*

Odyssey White Hot Rossie

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I was actually pretty impressed with the practice plan ChatGPT laid out for “Develop a practice plan for the golf putting green” prompt. Several intelligent drills, progressively ordered in increasing challenge. I’m sure it’s nothing an experienced golfer whose taken lots of short game training wouldn’t know, but it’s great for those without that benefit!

I’m gonna go try out the plan this afternoon! 

Driver:  image.png.ac16a10c2b861fff646dd08647f76d1f.png 849D
     Fuji ‘24 Ventus Blue 5R
3-5Hy:  Pinemeadow Command BK
6-PW:  image.png.e76c3a80e959f4571ac9d38b658506a0.png 699 v2
     Mitsu MMT 80g
Wedges:  image.png.bddbadf2cd48c1b40cf591e520848ebb.png MAX milled 50° (bent to 48°), 54°, 58°
     Mitsu Kuro Kage black 2G S/R
Putter:  image.jpeg.4a8b0ee0fbff31934a2e15fc68a7bfe7.jpeg King Supernova 20
     ArmLock AL2 grip
Ball:  image.png.10667a299706a9d7d3afd32e78f27847.png Pro Soft
Bag: image.png.1645cda6e679afe5a2659ddb2ecb59d1.png  C130

Wine is sunlight held together by water - Galileo 

William, I did a little “pre-work” before starting the Game Improvement Prompt. First I’m a paid user so the memory is a big help here (GPT4.o) Discussed my golf goals (going from no handicap to a mid handicap), what kind of swing I’ve been told I have and a little about me physically, then I told it what clubs I have. Asked it to do a full history and description for each of my clubs. Once I built my bag and had “CaddyGPT” learn all about my clubs and my swing type and goals, I started to give it swing influences like Tiger ball striking, Bryson DeChambeau power swings, John Daily’s creativity and grip it and rip style, and then did a Rick Shils coaching style. 

next I mentioned the range I go to and how much each size the range buckets are. My home range has a putting & chipping area included so that took a little work it break that out into long shots and short shot drills. Then through a few iterations of asking it to create a range drill for me and my clubs that sets me up to meet my goals. 

Brian Jackson

Opening Prompt: I’m trying to creat a range session plan to get me from not having a handicap to being a mid handicapped. Let’s start with a high level skill plan and progression. 

Brian Jackson

Opening Prompt: I’m trying to creat a range session plan to get me from not having a handicap to being a mid handicapped. Let’s start with a high level skill plan and progression. 

Your golf improvement plan is structured around a comprehensive and progressive approach, incorporating elements from professional golfers' routines, swing coaches' tips, and your personal preferences. Here's a high-level overview:

### 1. **Range Sessions**
   - **Frequency**: Every Sunday night at Leonard's Golf Links.
   - **Session Structure**:
     - **Warm-Up**: Focus on short wedge shots (50-75 yards) to get loose.
     - **Precision Drills**: Pitch shots (30-50 yards), Tiger Woods-style iron drills (8, 6, 4 irons), and Bryson DeChambeau-style speed drills with a 7-iron.
     - **Hybrid/Fairway Wood Practice**: Target-focused shots with your 4-hybrid and 3-wood.
     - **Driver Work**: Bryson Power Drills for speed and control, plus John Daly-style creative drives for max distance.
     - **Short Game Practice**: Chipping and putting with specific goals. Short Shots Drill Structure adapts to the time available (short, medium, or long sessions).
     - **Cool Down**: Stretching.

- **Ball Count**: A conservative number of balls is allocated per drill, and range baskets are ordered based on session goals.

- **Focus**: You emphasize swing goals, shot shaping, and using all your clubs. Your drills adapt to the available range amenities.

### 2. **Swing Influences**
   - **Initial 18 Sessions**: Incorporate Rick Shiels' swing tips and coaching style.
   - **Next 18 Sessions**: Blend Rick Shiels' teachings with influences from Tiger Woods, Bryson DeChambeau, John Daly, and other pros.

### 3. **Progress Tracking**
   - **Yardage Tracking**: Record and track shot yardages for each club to develop a "pocket caddy" system over time.
   - **Session Recaps**: Review the number of balls per drill to stay on track and analyze progress.

### 4. **Equipment Focus**
   - **Club Setup**: Continue refining your bag setup with a mix of precision and versatility, aiming to improve performance from all lies and conditions.
   - **Wedge and Grip Maintenance**: Regularly check and replace grips, especially on wedges, to maintain consistency.

### 5. **Short and Long-Term Goals**
   - **Short-Term**: Improve accuracy, consistency, and control across all clubs, especially focusing on reducing slices and bettering driver performance.
   - **Long-Term**: Lower your handicap by building on the foundations established during the initial sessions, transitioning into more advanced shot shaping and creative play.

Your plan is dynamic and allows for adjustments based on progress, preferences, and specific goals as you continue to improve.

---

**Q1:** How should I adjust my range sessions if I find that I am struggling with a specific club?

**Q2:** What specific swing tips should I incorporate from Rick Shiels, Tiger Woods, and others during my practice?

**Q3:** How can I refine my short game practice to ensure consistent improvement over time?

And that’s my range session plan  

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Brian Jackson

Our practice tee has been unexplored territory for me since April,
but recently I went to try hitting my driving iron off the deck.

The goal was to see if I could hit it 2, 3, 4, and 5-iron distances from the deck.
I couldn't, so that question didn't take log to answer.

From the tee box,
with my tee pushed in almost all the way down to its cup as with any iron tee shot,
I can it it a straight , solid 200 yards, even at my age,

That's about as far as I can hit a fairway metal--any fairway metal--regardless of number stamped on it--
from the fairway. Maybe a smidge longer but not much.

Therefore, it's now established that I need only three clubs longer than a 5-iron at the top of the bag--
a well lofted driver, a driving iron, and one fairway wood--whichever is my favorite.

Doing the math,

driver makes one club.
driving iron makes two clubs,
fairway wood makes three clubs,
5-9 irons make eight clubs,
and putter makes nine clubs.

I don't need a five-piece set of wedges, probably, but I have room for one
and I don't like empty slots.
Or I can go three turf wedges, a specialty sand club, and a chipper....if I choose.

More importantly, however, this experiment punches a lot of holes in my theory that I need more than fourteen clubs on the course.   They may have helped once, but not this late in the game.

Fourteen will work, but I'm not giving the USGA any credit.  
The clowns just hit it by accident!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2024 at 9:27 PM, PrayingForPar said:

I was just interested in the prompts you used, very cool. If you are into ai make sure to give perplexity a try....

To answer your actual question.....What helped me get lower in my handicap is "playing holes" on the range. Hit Driver-Iron-Wedge, or Driver-Wood-Wedge. Going back and forth with just a single shot of each club keeps you from just hitting another shot after a bad one and adds value to each shot just like on the course. 

I have to agree with playing holes. I am trying to dial in my practice routine and was getting frustrated because I was hitting pure on the range but it would all fall apart while playing a range. And then I wondered if maybe part of my issue was that I could consistently hit a club well if I was hitting it a dozen times in a row but not when hitting it once and then moving to another club. So, I do the same thing. I start by hitting my driver or 3W, then move on to a fairway wood...down to a hybrid or long iron, then a wedge to improve in transitioning between clubs. 

Patrick O’Brien

Massena, NY

Home Course: Cedar View Golf Club

Bag: TM Qi10 Max Driver, TM Qi10 3W, TM Stealth 2 3H, Qi10 5H, TM Sim 2 MAx 6i-PW, Calloway Raw Jaws 50/56/60 Wedges, Odyssey Ai-One 7S Putter

I think you need to treat each session as (goal) oriented.One session I will focus on managing low point.Spending time in a bunker without a ball trying to hit forward of a mark I put in the sand.

next session I will add contact.Which for me is starting off with Lob wedge ending in drivers.Goal is solid contact, not speed.Amazing how after this session i will play solid golf for a week or more just keeping a solid tempo versus trying to nuke the ball.But my ball first contact in a practice bunker adds to helping this as well 

Third session of the week is feeling like I’m playing a round on the course using my first two sessions feels.Aim at targets and such by pretending there are fairways and greens.

At the end of the session finish by putting, chipping and pitching. For me, if I’m struggling with my game, it is usually low point and face contact. Which boils down to tempo and when I apply speed or too much speed.Im more into making the club do what it was intended for.Versus forcing it.I rarely work on positions. Ive always judged my game by score versus looking good doing it 

I figure 30-1 hr range sessions a week (3 times) . Will allow me to play enjoyable golf. This formula has allowed me to shoot under 80 consistently since the late 1980’s

Edited by Goober

2 hours ago, Goober said:

I think you need to treat each session as (goal) oriented.One session I will focus on managing low point.Spending time in a bunker without a ball trying to hit forward of a mark I put in the sand.

Many ranges don’t have bunkers,  you can just use some foot spray to make a line in the grass.  You can also buy a mat and use tape or foot spray to make the line for at home practice. . 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, Goober said:

next session I will add contact.Which for me is starting off with Lob wedge ending in drivers.Goal is solid contact, not speed.Amazing how after this session i will play solid golf for a week or more just keeping a solid tempo versus trying to nuke the ball.But my ball first contact in a practice bunker adds to helping this as well 

Third session of the week is feeling like I’m playing a round on the course using my first two sessions feels.Aim at targets and such by pretending there are fairways and greens.

At the end of the session finish by putting, chipping and pitching. For me, if I’m struggling with my game, it is usually low point and face contact. Which boils down to tempo and when I apply speed or too much speed.Im more into making the club do what it was intended for.Versus forcing it.I rarely work on positions. Ive always judged my game by score versus looking good doing it 

I figure 30-1 hr range sessions a week (3 times) . Will allow me to play enjoyable golf. This formula has allowed me to shoot under 80 consistently since the late 1980’s

Great feedback, thanks! Tempo is inconsistent so this would help. When I feel like my tempo is where it needs to be my ball striking feels almost effortless. Trying to get into that rhythm all the time is the struggle. 

Patrick O’Brien

Massena, NY

Home Course: Cedar View Golf Club

Bag: TM Qi10 Max Driver, TM Qi10 3W, TM Stealth 2 3H, Qi10 5H, TM Sim 2 MAx 6i-PW, Calloway Raw Jaws 50/56/60 Wedges, Odyssey Ai-One 7S Putter

On 9/9/2024 at 7:59 AM, cnosil said:

Many ranges don’t have bunkers,  you can just use some foot spray to make a line in the grass.  You can also buy a mat and use tape or foot spray to make the line for at home practice. . 

Painters tape on the range mat is a go to for me, or the good old standby towel

Driver: M6

irons: sim2 max

wedge: TM rsi sand wedge 55

putter: odyssey pro type 3

Regardless of what you do, you need to make sure it works for you and it's enjoyable.

My typical range session will look like this right now:

• about 15 small swings(half to 3/4) with an 8 iron to focus on strike and low point .... big roll of masking tape is in the bag
  • About another 15 balls working on strike location, hitting a shot, then moving the strike point one way or another

Pending what I'm trying to do, this is some of the stuff I may do out there

Block style practice

• 5 balls with 1 club and 1 target, same style shot (i.e. shape and trajectory)
  • 1st and 5th ball is worth 2 pts to add a little pressure
  • 2nd, 3rd, and 4th balls are worth 1 point
  • Award points if successful hit target or area
  • Goal is to get 4pts of a possible 7
  • Change clubs, do it again

This stuff could easily be altered to what ever suites you . I like having a couple pressure shots in there to try and replicate course settings. I want the practice to push me, but be attainable as well

I'll do this for all clubs and different scenarios. Driver, short wedges, punch out shots, stock shots, etc. Even for some of the "extreme" stuff like intentionally slicing, or snap hooks, etc.

Random Practice 

Not quite as well defined as my Block stuff but  basically these 

• Simulate playing specific holes from courses I know
    • So maybe it's a driver, then see how that goes ... next shot might be a wedge if drive went well .... maybe it's a recovery shot that I have to now punch out 
    • Track and see how many shots it takes to "get on the green" for each hole
  • Pure random club, 1 swing and switch
    • switch target each time as well
    • I use to roll dice to determine what club ... made it fun, but then I lost the dice
    • Would award a point every successful club and see how many points I could get out of 10

Love some good Breakfast Tacos and Biscuits

Driver: :PXG: 0311BlackOps     

Wood: :PXG: 0311 Gen 6, 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons: :PXG: 0311P Gen6,  4 iron - Gap Wedge

Wedges: :PXG: Sugar Daddy II, 52* and 56* 

Putter: :PXG: Battle Ready II, Bat Attack 

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x

Technology: :Arccos: and :918457628_PrecisionPro:

2024 Caddy Daddy Claw Glove Test

Driver: Ping 400 LST - Alta CB55

3 Wood: King Cobra 5Z - UST Mamiya 5F2

5 Wood: TM Stealth - Fuji Ventus FW

Hybrids (4,5,6): Cleveland Halo Launcher XL - Project X Cypher 50

Irons (7-A): Srixon ZX4 -UST Mamiya Recoil 95

SW: Cleveland 54 Zipcore CBX4 - Mamiya Recoil Dart

LW: Cleveland 58 Zipcore RTX Full Face - Rotex Wedge Flex

Putter: LAB DF3 

Founding member (1993) and current Senior Trip Captain of the Royal Union of the Choking Dogs.