My attempt to become as cool as Rickie Fowler

A custom fitting with Cobra Golf

cobra-12.jpg

Check out Cobra online:

Website

Twitter

Facebook

Demo Days

If you haven't heard, Cobra Puma brings the party wherever they go - PGA Show (free beers and club music with a DJ mixing on location) - Demo days/Fittings at your local club (music to get your groove on playing in the background) - and at their custom fittings in studio (no booze, but they did have a disco ball in the fitting room along with some party music).

cobra-14.jpg

Cobra is a brand that sings to me in my own weird language. Call it trendy, call it hip, I just like that it breaks with tradition. Golf is always viewed as this “boring” quiet sport (ask any of your friends who aren't obsessed) and Cobra as a solo act is trying to help break that mold and bring golf to a new generation.

My only question going into this was if I could handle the neon orange in my bag (turns out it's actually pretty cool and eye catching)

cobra-3.jpg

Cobra is known for demo days across the country where they will help custom fit you for clubs on the spot, and I was lucky enough to be welcomed into their headquarters in Carlsbad, CA and use the same room they bring their pros into.

With music playing (and just a brief demo of the disco ball) the fitting got underway, but just slightly differently than most – instead of using a 6 iron I was handed a 7 iron to begin the fitting – asked why, my fitter told me most players have more success with a 7 iron and so it's not as difficult finding that player's average swing with consistent contact.

cobra-13.jpg

Our recent club reviews of the Amp driver and the Amp irons had me itching to give them a go myself, and I have to say, the Amp irons didn't disappoint. I REALLY wanted to be fit into Amp Forged Irons, but after some inconsistencies in the quality of my ball striking surfaced, Bobby my fitter was able to convince me that the forgiveness of the normal Amp irons would make me a happier player.

cobra-2.jpg

The iron shafts are Dynalite 90:

cobra-8.jpg

The biggest surprise of the fitting was that I full expected to be fit into an Amp driver, but instead because of the numbers I was generating on the launch monitor, Bobby pushed me toward the ZL Encore. Being stubborn, I asked to still try the Amp, and though I hit it well, the ZL was far more consistent for me and gave me a little more distance without losing any accuracy.

cobra-1.jpg

The ZL Encore is paired to a Fujikura Motore F1 55 S-Flex

cobra-10.jpg

My concern with the ZL was the “dull thud” you hear on contact vs. the sharp “ping” sound from most drivers. Turns out, I kinda have fallen for that thud now – it's fun to see your buddy's face when this dull sound results in a HUGE drive!!

The Baffler hybrid and fairway woods beg me to swing them as hard as I can, but when I hold back to about 90% these babies go so true and as far as I've ever wanted or needed.

cobra-4.jpg

cobra-5.jpg

Being fit at Cobra was probably hands down the most fun I've ever had at a fitting (fittings are always fun, but Cobra really does bring the party!)

cobra-9.jpg

My fitting featured Cobra's new fitting cart system which is now being used in the field at their demo/fitting days across the country. I was impressed at the selection and ability to try nearly any combo under the sun.

Not the cart, but a table in the factory with new heads waiting to be custom built:

cobra-15.jpg

Having bagged this Cobra set for several months now, I can say that the forgiveness of these clubs is almost immediately apparent. These irons almost beg for you to try and miss hit them, and same goes for the baffler hybrid, fairway woods, and that darn ZL Encore driver.

Not only is Cobra throwing a party in the golf industry, but they're making some darn good product that I think deserved more attention that it's received. Do yourself a favor and next time you see a demo day scheduled near you and you're in the mood to consider some new clubs – stop by.

This article brought you over a bottle of Firestone Walker Reserve Porter:

cobra-11.jpg

Great write up but I just knew at the end you would have a snake tatoo on your butt. I honestly was not looking forward to seeing that picture. The T on the head is one thing but a cobra on your ass is too much to ask us to look at.:P

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Neat little write up Tim.

Two notes

A: They're known for doing fittings everywhere? Must be a US thing. I've seen one Cobra fitter here in 3 years

B: Did they fit you for anything not stock? Given you're previous club reviews I'm admittedly a bit skeptical that stock around the board gave you the best fit.

It'll be nice to see when the Cobra fitting carts get out there and people get some more knowledge on the product so that consumers can really give it a go.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Tim, your one lucky man, how I would have loved a fitting in Carlsbad with my favorite iron OEM. COBRA! What really sucks is that I wasn't there to get some stock of those COBRA/PUMA blades or the S3 pro's which I heard are being fazed out...... :(

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Had a guy I know that got to get fit at Cobra. He also got a round with Rickie Fowler and picked him up in his personal vehicle to take him to the course. What gives? They not do that for you Tim? LOL. He happened to be there at the right time when Rickie was giving the new product a go. Luck and timing.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

SuperTuna:

Yeah, I guess I'm more familiar with them doing fittings around the US, I'm not as familiar with the setup outside of that. - actually, a quick glance at their online demo day schedule, and I don't see Canada as an option :-(

As for stock - we tried variations, but I do tend to fit normally into pretty stock options, though cut down about 1/2" from stock length - I've tried more exotic shafts, and I desperately want a graphite shaft to love me, but they just don't.

I'll say I think the fitting was pretty spot on - I've had mediocre fitting experience where I didn't think the equipment fit walking away from it, but having played the Cobra setup for 3+ months now, I can say, it is correct for me.

That's not to say that somewhere down the road I might not find a shaft that does more for me, but the variations I've tried haven't pulled me away so far.

RB7 - yeah, closest I came to seeing Rickie was that they fit his sister the day before!

SuperTuna:

Yeah, I guess I'm more familiar with them doing fittings around the US, I'm not as familiar with the setup outside of that. - actually, a quick glance at their online demo day schedule, and I don't see Canada as an option :-(

As for stock - we tried variations, but I do tend to fit normally into pretty stock options, though cut down about 1/2" from stock length - I've tried more exotic shafts, and I desperately want a graphite shaft to love me, but they just don't.

I'll say I think the fitting was pretty spot on - I've had mediocre fitting experience where I didn't think the equipment fit walking away from it, but having played the Cobra setup for 3+ months now, I can say, it is correct for me.

That's not to say that somewhere down the road I might not find a shaft that does more for me, but the variations I've tried haven't pulled me away so far.

RB7 - yeah, closest I came to seeing Rickie was that they fit his sister the day before!

They give you the factory tour too? Some interesting stuff in there.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

EdGolf - funny enough, at the end of the fitting I asked to try the Amp cause I hadn't tried it and was fit straight into the Encore ZL.

When I tried the AMP at the fitting, I was hitting it pretty much as well as the ZL - Cobra graciously sent me both to try - my fitter was pretty sure I'd do better with the ZL, but they agreed it was worth having me take them both out on the course to see cause that's the true proving ground for any fitting.

The ZL has been a BEAST of a driver for me - when I swing smoothly I launch the ball and keep it in the fairway - problem is, I get excited and swing for the fences cause I few times when I've caught it, I've put it out at 290+ carry!!!! - but, more consistently I'll get 260-270 with a good clean swing.

The AMP just didn't play well for me on the course - though I need to head back out with a different shaft and see - but the ZL has been my gamer and I haven't really looked back at the AMP.

Catch to this all - it's all about what fits your swing conditions - you really need to try both side-by-side with the same shaft if you want an exact comparison and length and ...... - If you can find yourself at a Cobra fitting day, I'd say that's your best opportunity to find out for yourself what fits your swing best.

Archived