Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Confusion caused by the R11s

Not a Taylormade fan - have never hit a white driver. Had an R-11 3-wood for about a month last year and hated it. That said, borrowed a colleague's set in Toronto last week...he had Titleist AP-2 irons (loved 'em!), an R-11s driver and an RBZ 3-wood.

WOW. Just...WOW!

Hit my first 8 fairways - usually in the middle. Found the rough a couple of times, but nothing that hurt. The club felt different from my 910, but I couldn't miss hit the damn thing. Hadn't picked up a club in about a month, so my swing wasn't grooved.

He had a stock Fujikura Blur stiff shaft in it and the thing felt as solid as any driver I've ever hit. Noticeably heavier than my Titleist, so I'm sure that made a big difference...but wow. Just, wow....

For those of you confirmed non-TMAG guys who've added the White Monster to your bags -- how did you reconcile? I don't want to lust after it, but the flesh is week....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I was and still am a non T-Mag fan mainly because of the marketing monster they've become. (drives me nuts how they promote their new products even though it works wonderfully)That being said my RBZ Tour driver, R11s 3w and RBZ Tour 3H just ridiculously good. Never thought I'd have Tmag in my bag but here I am Lol.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

I've been playing the R11s since shortly after release and it's been amazing. By far this was my best driving season of golf...ever. Granted I made a few tweaks to my grip, but this club is flat out easy to hit and a lot more forgiving that most people give it credit for.

Sure it could be the honeymoon period, but it sounds like it's at least worth hitting again. Worst case is you get it and have it painted black if you really hate the white that much. But at least for me after hitting bombs down the middle for a couple rounds you really won't care what it looks like. (and I should note here that 'bombs down the middle' means anything over 260 and in the fairway for me :) )

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I've been in a fitting where the fitter realized my current driver was not correct for me, and pulled out an R11s head for me (from his experience, this head should have fixed what my problem was) I could NOT hit it to save my life)

So we went with a different head.

For me, I can't seem to hit Taylormade clubs... their wedges, their drivers, their hybrids and their irons (haven't played with their fairways much) - we just don't get along.

I've got nothing against them personally, but I've never done well with them.

The brain is a trippy little thing, and I think in some cases, you allow yourself or disallow yourself to hit certain products.

Sooooo not scientific... but I've experienced it.

wow... next thing you know I'm gonna be admitting to signing up for some cult....

It's a great club, but are you sure it's not the "I want something new and shiny" bug biting you? ;)

New and shiny? Me? Call me "putty" cause when I get the bug, I get the bug. But the damn thing was consistent through the entire round...didn't "lose" it like it normally do - so I gotta believe mishits weren't punished quite as much. And maybe I was swinging with a bit more confidence as the round went on. Not sure I'd rush out and buy one without trying one out more - and definitely wouldn't pick one up without a fitting...but I sure as hell wasn't expecting those results!

Does make you wonder about preconceived anti-TMAG notions. Behind the hype machine there's a pretty solid golf club.

And now there's Rocketbladez! Oy....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived