Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Worst golf lesson ever taken

Lonnie96

The range near my house has a "pro" that teaches there. I have not taken a lesson from him nor would I after watching him try and teach beginners. This is not him but close to his style (also a classic clip).

https://youtu.be/qQVFhqAKcMg

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Who is this guy? The delicate genius' dad? ...that's Bryson dechambeau for those unaware.

Sent from my iPhone while sitting at the 19th hole.

JC Anderson. He has some funny stuff on YouTube. I did try to snap load my power pack once and ended up on the DL for six to eight weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

• 3 weeks later...

Won't mention the place or the instructor, but I had a lesson a couple years ago where he put my on a launch monitor and told me to flare my left foot out a little. He then proceeded to go to the front desk for the entire lesson and said just keep practicing that. After the 45 mins was up he tried to push me for a 5 pack of lessons. No thank you. 

Driver - Cleveland Hi-Bore 10.5   (TaylorMade M1 10.5 on the way)

3 Wood - Currently looking

Hybrid - 913H 17* 21*

Irons - 714 AP1 5-AW

Wedges - Miura 53*, 58*

Putter - Peritti

Won't mention the place or the instructor, but I had a lesson a couple years ago where he put my on a launch monitor and told me to flare my left foot out a little. He then proceeded to go to the front desk for the entire lesson and said just keep practicing that. After the 45 mins was up he tried to push me for a 5 pack of lessons. No thank you. 

Was this our boy with the cigar hanging out of his mouth? Can't be because there is no way he had even heard of a launch monitor

Was this our boy with the cigar hanging out of his mouth? Can't be because there is no way he had even heard of a launch monitor

I forgot about that! He was horrible. I could give better lessons. Just happy to find someone I finally click with

Driver - Cleveland Hi-Bore 10.5   (TaylorMade M1 10.5 on the way)

3 Wood - Currently looking

Hybrid - 913H 17* 21*

Irons - 714 AP1 5-AW

Wedges - Miura 53*, 58*

Putter - Peritti

I took a lesson based on the advice of a buddy and it was terrible. The guy had the philosophy that you should hit all clubs from the same spot in your stance. All clubs should be placed in the center of the stance. Halfway through I told him his swing ideas a terrible and I was done with the lesson.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

For a little reference, I have never had a lesson other than a middle school teacher showing me the proper grip and telling me to figure the rest out by feel.  As a result, I feel like I have an excellent idea of what is wrong when my swing goes away.

My former employer in the city I used to live had a corporate membership to a club in that area.  A coworker and I became friends with the head professional.  He preached the "stack and tilt" method and convinced me to give it a try.  I got so off-balance, it took nearly 3 years to get that mess out of my head.  During that 3-year period, I played the absolute worst golf of my life.  I couldn't find balance and felt like I was falling all over the place.  

Now, I will not even watch an instructional show on Golf Channel!

My worst ever.... a head pro at a local club 35 years ago couldn't figure out how to stop my slicing.!!! I was his sucker and he was a con artist disguised as a golf pro. I mean that's like Lesson 101 stuff.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

... I taught golf with the IPGA for 5 years and had many loyal students, mostly thru word of mouth. In a nutshell my philosophy was teach people to do what they are already doing just a little better. Yes, I had several students that I revamped their swings but that was very rare. Mostly I took someone with a 210yd drive and a 25 yd slice and taught them to hit a more controlled 10 yd fade and added 15-20 yards to their drives. 

... That said, I had a new student that was a 50 yr old owner of two car dealerships that wanted to fix his hook. Pulled out his big wad of cash and peeled off a $100 bill saying this is for the first two weeks as I charged $50 for a 30 minute lesson, although the first lesson was 1 full hour. His right hand was literally under neath the shaft and his stance was about 30* closed. So I said "Lets start with your grip. Most don't realize this is the only part of the body that comes in contact with the club and changing it is VERY difficult, so lets start with moving it a little each lesson and after 6 lessons we can get it to a more neutral position". He said absolutely not, I have had other instructors change my grip and it didn't work. So I said "OK, then lets move that closed stance from 30* to 15* closed and start moving toward a more neutral stance". Again absolutely not, lets skip the grip and stance and just show me how to fix my hook.

... LOL that was my worst lesson and it was then I realized as much as I wanted to help all my students, there were some that just wanted to say they took lessons for whatever reason but were not interested in actually changing anything to improve. I just took their money and worked with what they wanted to do to the best of my ability. Which sometimes was just appeasing their ego's. It is a crazy game...

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Archived